The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 80's new wave stars today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5704 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5704 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 21:47, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 15:39, arthur stead wrote:
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzKij_r20Y





I love the jacket, Arthur!
Late to the party on is but.. Do you still have the jacket?
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 23:52, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.

I know a bit about them.
Enough to know the one odd member made up a third of crowded house, as they were a trio. Split ends/enz had about five or six members.
Also, they'd hardly had any time to write new/enough material to last a live appearance, so they had to use split enz material.
I may not be as huge a fan as yourself but, I'd still class them as two different bands.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Arthur Stead,

Thank you for sharing that - wonderful - I would have watched that back then - always looked forward to Solid Gold on a Sunday afternoon here in Australia.

Poor old Split Enz - famous again for all the wrong reasons recently - the son of their drummer became our most infamous vicious troll and Dad spirited him off to En Zed (New Zealand) to protect him from consequences.

Dad also defended his actions which seemed rather unSplitEnzish.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/unmask......89087674
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 23:52, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.



Regardless of who the members are or were, it seems to me that if they changed the name and changed at least some of the members, it's logical to consider it two different bands. I mean, come on, why else would they change the name? At the very least, I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of berating someone for considering it to be two separate bands at that point.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Brian Setzer still packs them in no matter which band he brings. I saw him last year with his Rock a Billy Riot band and several years ago with The Brian Setzer Orchestra. I've also heard nothing but good things about his Stray Cat's shows as well.
Bob.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1804 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 21:47, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 15:39, arthur stead wrote:
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzKij_r20Y





I love the jacket, Arthur!



Thanks, Bob! In those days, when we arrived in a new town and there was free time in the afternoon, I used to go to the shopping malls. That's where I found most of my stage gear - usually in women's clothing stores! It also gave me a chance to invite some of the pretty salesgirls to the show that night!

Tom: Alas, that jacket is no more.

Ray: I may have looked like a sissy, but I've never had a manicure in my life!

All you other guys: Thanks for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the clip.

If you fellows REALLY want to see a "then and now" contrast, scroll down the "About" page on my website:

http://www.arthurstead.com/About_Us.htm
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
That is one thing I definately miss from the 80's....THE HAIR!!

My heart goes out to Peter.

Mark
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great pics and video, Arthur! A true Hair Band celebrity!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
Those were some great bands to see and dance to in the day. Those were some fun times. Still albums and DVDs by a good number of them.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2504 Posts

Profile of critter
Some of Peter Murphy's more recent stuff is great. The Cure was the first concert I ever went to.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers


"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5704 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 09:24, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 23:52, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.



Regardless of who the members are or were, it seems to me that if they changed the name and changed at least some of the members, it's logical to consider it two different bands. I mean, come on, why else would they change the name? At the very least, I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of berating someone for considering it to be two separate bands at that point.
Yes, because no one ever changes band names to avoid legal complications from the previous name and its entanglements. And bands never have members come and go. Should they be considered different bands every time members come and go?

And you now what, I saw the Finn Bros doing warm up shows for a tour which later turned into a Crowded House tour I believe. Guess what, they played their hits and favorites from their Enz days. So you can split hairs all you want. The membership of Crowded House and Split Enz during their popular days was VERY similar, and the style of the music was a logical progression. It is in essence one band which evolved and changed its name to leave behind the complications connected with that name.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 20:37, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 09:24, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 23:52, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.



Regardless of who the members are or were, it seems to me that if they changed the name and changed at least some of the members, it's logical to consider it two different bands. I mean, come on, why else would they change the name? At the very least, I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of berating someone for considering it to be two separate bands at that point.

And you now what, I saw the Finn Bros doing warm up shows for a tour which later turned into a Crowded House tour I believe.

Your belief is wrong.....Check your history.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I thought one of the Finns started Crowded House, and the other joined sometime later?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5704 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
You are correct, Destiny. Similar but not the same as how Split Enz ran.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 80's new wave stars today (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL