The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Horizon Matthew Wright (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3965 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have had a chance to play with this a bit and it is really great! The possibilities are endless.
kj
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3965 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
There is one thing that I think could have been thought through a bit more. That is that the key loop gets pulled into the loop and is then not easy to pull back out. The gimmick could have been designed a bit different so this would not happen.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3965 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Even with the little problem, this is still a great effect with great devices and very good explanations by Eric Jones. In spite of the little design issue, I would still HIGHLY recommend it as is.
KJ
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
HORIZON... NEW MAGIC EFFECT?????
See the book TRUCKI-CARTO-MAGIC by Dr. RAMON VARELA y JUAN Tamariz MARTEL.(published year 1970)

This effect that is found on pages 85 and 86 under the name "Flying Card" - "hand to hand" (since the effect can be done with the playing card, envelope or money) ... and the authors (Ramón Varela y Tamariz Martel ) EXPRESSLY inform the early description of the effect and its explanation: "Con ocasion del viaje fin de carrera a España del gran aficionado chilean Fernando Larraín, VARELA tuvo ocasion of charlar magic, throughout una mañana in their habitacion del hotel y ally of his brothers aprendió this cute efecto "

Again, it appears in a book dating from the year 1970 ...

New magic effect????...

KARDINI
Brazil
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2014-01-07 18:51, KyleMarlett wrote:
Hey guys,

I posted a Christmas video of me using Horizon on my Instagram on Christmas eve, thought I would share

http://instagram.com/p/iUQc8LIKB2/

-Kyle

Really enjpyed that.

Ona side note I keep reading about people thinking it is a thread. IF THAT IS YOUR ISSUE THEN YOU NEED TO STOP DOING THREAD WORK!!!

Im serious, its your job to sell them that you are doing something special, not the effect. I stopped making things float for long periods years ago for that reason. Instead I started to make things move little by little then I could make things stay in the air for a few seconds but I stopped making it seem like its floating. More like a tilt your head what the heck did I just see moment. Like haunted deck. DO people really think its a thread? That cant be a thread, How can a thread do all that is what you want to sell them. Not where is the thread.

Sorry just had to vent a bit.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
Thankyou for your post kardini
I am not familiar unfortunately with the reference you provided and to be fair it does seem like quite an obscure book in Spanish/Portuguese?

I did a fair amount of research and due diligence for this release and was in contact with some very trusted historians on magic and with their help earliest reference to this I could find was John Carey and I have fully credit to him for his flying card.
I am happy to bow to your greater knowledge in your area of expertise and thankyou for letting me know.
It isn't always possible to fully credit everything especially when it is in a different language in a book published long before I was born...but if it is there it is there andfully deserved credit.

Having not seen it I cannot comment on whether the method are similar but I can only assume they are not.
I have created an extremely versatile gimmick thatallows instant hookup and unhooking involving some complex design and manufacture that makes everything extremely simple to use and user friendly

For those of you having trouble locating the th#%d oneit goes into the gimmick....think of it on the same way as a reel. Just hold your lipsclose to it and suck...it will pop straight out

L
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
Dear Matthew Wright,

I'm referring exclusively to the EFFECT, the MEANS ("modus operandi")and METHOD of flying... not to details.

I tried to attach here the image of the book cover but could not. You can search in Google IMAGES for "Truckycartomagia Tamariz" and will appear in first the book with cover illustration just of THIS EFFECT!! The book is not as dark as well, for it was written with the dual by Tamariz in 1970. Edition in spanish.

Sorry my bad english.

Cheers from Brazil,

KARDINI
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
It is a sad state when magicians are trying to catch or correct other magicians now with every effect released. I think that Horizon is a fantastic effect and I enjoy performing it. Horizon is also a lot of fun to practice. Great job Matthew Right for this effect. We appreciate you sharing this with us.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
Quote:
On 2014-01-12 18:29, Cassidy001 wrote:
It is a sad state when magicians are trying to catch or correct other magicians now with every effect released.

It is?
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
Ouch!

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Tr......55%3B648

Juan Tamariz isn't exactly "obscure" neither is the book.

This may have been published years ago but it's currently on the market: http://www.magicus.es/magia/product_info......_id=1562

If you're not familiar with it Matthew, how do you know yours is any better? Or even different?
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I am in Madrid as we speak and will be with some students of Tamariz this week so will look into it there.
It is surprising to me this is coming up now though. It has been part of my FISM winning, international winning, IBM winning and magic circle winning act since 2008 and I have never heard mention of it.
I first published this hook up in 2009 on the unusual suspect DVD through Alakazam
I spoke with my teacher Jeff McBride about it and he credited John Carney with the original hook up. I spoke with John who was happy for me to go ahead with it.
John published his floating card with this exact hook up back in the 80s. I am not claiming thing as far as creating the hook up. I have only used a published hook up and created a gimmick that allows for instant hookup and release.
I believe I did as much as I could as far as research was concerned speaking with many trusted and knowledgeable magicians. It looks like something was over looked by myself for the past five years since the first 2008 release by me and by others who have used it before. For this I apologise, but I am certain what you are getting with horizon it's not explained in any book.
As I say I will be in contact with friends of Tamariz this week
Mahatma
View Profile
New user
Philippe Piet van Putten
8 Posts

Profile of Mahatma
Dear Kardini and Matthew,

Chilean magician Fernando José Larraín de Toro (1958- ) is well known in Latin America. He is the son of Fernando Larrain Munita or Mago Larrain, deceased on June 17, 2011 (he was 76). Mago Larrain or Mago Helmut (as seen on TV) lost his ten year battle against prostate cancer. There was a school of magic named after him the "Escuela de Magia Mago Larrain" - http://www.msshow.cl/ - which was rebaptized as The Magic House. I suppose it is easy to check out the data and dissolve any doubts concerning the creation of the effect.
Mahatma
(Philippe Piet van Putten)
Mentalist
Editor - Artes Mágicas (Magical Arts)
President - International Magicians Society (IMS) of Brazil
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
I didn't mean to imply Matthew copied the effect, I hope it didn't come off that way and I have no reason to suspect so.

I doubt that the Tamariz publication was first either. And the last time I saw John Carney do an IT trick it was the dancing skeleton. Skeletini?

Personally I see no point in crediting anyone for this. It seems like something that would have been done with a human hair soon after playing cards were invented.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3965 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
It seems to me that most every effect is an evolution of something. Even if the mechanics of the effect are virtually identical, the fact of the matter is that Matthew Wrights release is very new to a large number of people. Also, the fact that it is presented in DVD, makes it much more effective for many to learn. Also, while Tamariz my not by any means be obscure, the book was written in 1970! That is over 30 years ago! I, for one, am glad to see someone produce this DVD that for me, and I'm sure many others, was very educational and inspirational.
KJ
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2598 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Oh my god. They have things that look like the Ipad, and even the things we all drive and talk on. The world coming to a end. So tried of people on here trying to prove someones effect was someones else. If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before. Get over it guys. this is a great effect he came up with. Lets not try to mess this one up also.
cricketer15
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Australia
248 Posts

Profile of cricketer15
Quote:
On 2014-01-12 20:50, MR Effecto wrote:
Oh my god. They have things that look like the Ipad, and even the things we all drive and talk on. The world coming to a end. So tried of people on here trying to prove someones effect was someones else. If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before. Get over it guys. this is a great effect he came up with. Lets not try to mess this one up also.

QFT.

also I should get mine delivered tommorow, hopefully.
Anything is Possible
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
I'm expecting mine this coming Thursday, Can't wait. Wish it was here now.
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
Quote:
On 2014-01-12 20:50, MR Effecto wrote:
If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before.

That is not true. I agree most "new" effects are not new at all. Original magic is very hard to come by but there are new ideas out there.

I don't think they any of them involve cards though Smile
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3559 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
The Magic Café Latest and Greatest. Where Magicians can Speculate and Accuse for every effect to cause some drama in their lives. This is getting ridiculous.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Horizon Matthew Wright (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL