The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My adventure with Corporate America (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2861 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
So this past week we decided to check out a bundle offer for high-speed internet and TV that AT&T has with DirectTV. I called on Friday and ten minutes later the order was placed.

On Saturday, when the confirming emails arrived, we decided to cancel the order due to a price discrepancy.

Today I called AT&T to cancel. After selecting my choice on the automated answering system, the system asked me to input my phone number. I did so. A little while later a rep came on, and the first thing she asked me for was my phone number. After a few minutes discussing what I wanted (which was to cancel the order), she told me I had to talk to the cancellation department and transferred me. An automated voice then came on and asked me for my phone number. Shortly, a rep came on and asked me for my phone number.

It turned out that, although I ordered both the AT&T service and the Direct TV service at the same time from AT&T, I had to call DirectTV myself to cancel that order, since AT&T was "prohibited" from cancelling orders outside of AT&T. Two people at AT&T told me this.

So, after the AT&T order was (finally) cancelled, I called DirectTV. The greeting said it was DirectTV. The choices included cancelling service, so I hit that choice. Clickclickclickclick, and a familar-by-now voice asked me to input my phone number. Sure enough, DirectTV was transferring me back to AT&T.

Well, I'm kinda old-fashioned in some ways, so I thought maybe I'd dialed the wrong number. Tried two more times, and got transferred back to AT&T both times.

Finally I found another number for DirectTV, and, after waiting several minutes for a supervisor to come on, told him that I was getting the run-around and looking for someone who could help me. Five minutes later, he had cancelled the order, only to try to talk me into one of their own bundles.

Total time spent on the phone to cancel the order was almost half an hour.

And this is big business in the good ol' US of A.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ant.html

I used to know a couple of tricks to beat them but I can't recall them now.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I know and have had similar experiences myself. Just yesterday I had to go through a similar process to make sure claims filed against my secondary dental insurance were all recieved from my dentist and I had to have the dentist office fax one date of service over directly to a fax number that the secondary insurance company gave me. But it was a pain as well, especially with all the automated telephone services. You feel like just an expendable number or a dollar sign rather than a real person when you deal with big business these days. I am sure that is all we are to them based on some of my experiences.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well unless you live under perpetually sunny skys I wouldn't go with direct tv.

30 minutes? and you are complaining? Smile I once spent a week trying to get Time Warner cable to hook up a cable box in my apartment in the new york. Couple of times they didn't show up after waiting for them all day and when they did show up, they did it wrong and had to come out again. Consider yourself lucky that it was only 30 minutes.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2650 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
My AT&T ofice bill is wrong every month. We stay on the phone one to two hours getting it changed.
Customer service with big companies like that is a joke nowadays.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
This of course is not accident or incompetence but design.
The hardest cancellation I ever did was my AOL service. I think it took me months before I could finally be free of them. But your ATT experience sounds like this is becoming SOP.

BTW, a strategy that sometimes has helped me in getting to the relevant department in this kind of situation is to call the sales office. There are always suddenly hundreds of people willing to help you in record time. Then you tell them, oh, I was looking to cancel, please transfer me. It often cuts through a few layers of being bounced around.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2650 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I can remember several people having a hard time canceling AOL.
And now that I think about it, seems like AOL got into trouble one time with their
cancellation policy and had to make some big time refunds.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
304 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
"Millions of customers come to GetHuman.com and GetHuman's apps each month in hopes of avoid the frustrations of customer service from companies worldwide."

http://gethuman.com

I've used this site a few times with great success.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 23:05, George Ledo wrote:

And this is big business in the good ol' US of A.

That alone is a huge assumption. Half the time I try to contact customer service for any big corporation (AOL, etc.), I am usually on the phone with someone for whom English is a second language... a distant second.

Phone menus are like the country roads in "Children of the Corn". Follow the path long enough and you WILL eventually end up back in the same place again.

AT&T is a joke, though. Years ago, I had a business line with them. I simply tried to cancel the service. They never did and kept sending me bills... and the phone continued to work. Eventually, I just stopped paying the bills. They sent me disconnect notices!! LOL!!

But, get this... they never disconnected the service! Eventually, I just moved. It makes me wonder if the house were to burn to the ground, if that phone line would still have a glimmer of life left in it... like the Terminator with its faint glowing eyeball.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 10:52, TomBoleware wrote:
I can remember several people having a hard time canceling AOL.
And now that I think about it, seems like AOL got into trouble one time with their
cancellation policy and had to make some big time refunds.

Tom

Yes, the did have to make a multimillion dollar settlement. Here is a good article from the NY Times that describes what happened and some of the creative, and occasionally hilarious, methods different people used to cancel their AOL accounts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/techno......all&_r=0
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2861 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've had similar experiences in the past, so I tend to avoid having to call any of these companies if I don't absolutely have to. However, what I found amusing (in an S&M, I guess) sort of way was (1) having to repeat my phone number so many times, and (2) having DirectTV flip me back to AT&T for the cancellation. The right hand didn't have a clue that the left hand existed, much less what it was doing.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living inside a Dilbert comic strip. Smile

Michael -- yeah, people who can barely speak English working in fields where they have to interact with English-speaking customers. Don't get me started on that one. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 11:42, Michael Baker wrote:
... like the Terminator with its faint glowing eyeball.

Dude! Spoiler alert! Some of us are still waiting for it to come out on Beta.

Betazinga!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 16:41, Bazinga wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 11:42, Michael Baker wrote:
... like the Terminator with its faint glowing eyeball.

Dude! Spoiler alert! Some of us are still waiting for it to come out on Beta.

Betazinga!

Not my fault. The Terminator was sent from the future to screw things up here, so it was kind of unavoidable.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2650 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bob, thanks for the AOL link. That was good.

I had AT&T internet at my business for a long time and that was a double headache getting transferred back and forth between departments.
I finally dropped the internet and then I got flooded with calls from the marketing departments trying to sell me the internet service.
Half of them you can't understand a word they say. I tell em I need to press one for a translator, to hold on, and then I hang up. Smile

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My adventure with Corporate America (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL