The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim presents 52 Shades of Red (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Easy with the personal comments. I'm not a gopher thanks. Please leave the name calling out.
I get the whole Shin controversy, I think everyone does. Mostly because we keep being reminding (once again).
New or not to this forum, I have read it for years, just never signed up. I'm not an outsider poking my head in. I know what's going on in the community.
Its not so much that you don't have the right to ask or be upset? Shin has misrepresented to the entire community. It's no surprise to anyone, his reputation has already taken a hit.
Maybe this product will also be a fail? All the more reason to not pre-order unless you have cash to gamble, everyone is pre warned. Job well done thanks.
Now lets talk about Craig and RED Smile kidding, we get that, too.
I have no more to say on this subject. Thanks and with much respect.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
ostadler
View Profile
New user
Munich, Germany
62 Posts

Profile of ostadler
I would have prefered a "Complete Edition" along with the fully prepared gimmick - and yes, I would be willing to pay more money for this. But the idea is IMHO very nice and clever.
ostadler
View Profile
New user
Munich, Germany
62 Posts

Profile of ostadler
Oh man, back to 52 shades.... this is hard for me to practice, now that I have done all the necessary work.... It's hard for people with small hands.... Smile
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
There's been a bit of discussion here about the F**P card (the gimmick that Shin mentions but does not explain how to build). Essentially it is an instant, visual transformation of one card into another, with no cover. It is best done with court cards (eg. Q diamonds to K spades), or to turn a blue back into a red back (but the possibilities are really endless). Alex DLF has given a few examples on the previous page (click on his youtube links) I've always wanted to know how to make one so I contacted him and was happy to find that he offers a download on how to build this. The video is really easy to follow and the construction is not very difficult. (might take 10 minutes to build one) Not sure if he will take a bit of heat for not crediting earlier developments (Acrobatic card, Bizarro color-drop, Kolle's X-tension have been mentioned...) but I think his heart is in the right place. So if you are a little crafty, and want to learn to make this awesome visual effect, send him a PM.
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
I also got the download from Alex DLF, it is indeed easy to follow and very well produced. If you want to learn how to build one of these I highly recommend it.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Thanks guys, please check the thread Bill started in the workshop section Smile

If anyone is interested, shot me a pm Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
mellanp
View Profile
New user
Scranton, Pa.
59 Posts

Profile of mellanp
You people lambasting Mr. Lim so much need to read David Regal's review of 52 Shades of Red in the new Genii Magazine. When you want an authoritative view go to an authority. David Regal thinks this is an terrific kit and he practically said he was blown away when he saw the trailer but also not in the least let down by the product. David Regal is a creative, innovative genius in magic. He has also written tons of effects of his own creation and is a fabulous magical performer. What he says about Shin Lim and 52 Shades of Red should not be taken as a grain of salt!
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The cards you guys are calling the Flip Card is actually called, "Acrobatic Card" that was out in the early 1970's. They are still available or available again from Magic Inc. They are offering several different types now, to produce different effects.

There was even an "Acrobatic Book" published with various uses for the cards. This is available as well. I know it is not a DVD, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

http://www.magicinc.net/acrobaticcard.aspx

So if you don't want to make your own, get 1 or 2 from Magic Inc.

There's also this http://www.lybrary.com/the-gaff-factory-......750.html if you need to know how to make one.
TonyRush
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TonyRush
Ew. I wish I had found this conversation before I bought it.

it's a great affect. But, for $55, you don't expect to have to spend a couple of hours with rubber cement or peeling cards. Not to mention that it was rather disappointing to see him use a gaff card in the trailer and then, on the DVD, to hear him say that he doesn't really recommend that particular gaff and, instead, shows you a less impressive method that requires -- surprise -- yet more do-it-yourself arts and crafts.

Disappointing.

Also -- as a production comment -- the entire first DVD has a bed of background music playing underneath the explanation. Whoever did the audio did a poor job of mixing. There are times when Shin's voice is completely obscured by the music and even when he is audible, the music is just a distraction.

That may seem like a nit-picking thing to say but it's important.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
That is the nature of Shin Lim's stuff it seems. Now you know.

Some people love his stuff though.

As far as poor video production quality, that also seems to be a consistent weak spot with Shin.

You aren't nit-picking but those who follow Shin Lim have heard the same stuff before.

"My name is Shin Lim and this is ..." (fill in his next release)

BTW David Regal is a creative genius and a heck of a nice guy - and also quite down to earth with no big ego - and some of the best releases that nearly always surpass expectaions.

He could be a superb mentor for Shin Lim.

Shin could learn a lot from a good guy like David Regal - not about performing, but about everything else.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Hey guys. This is my detailed review on 52 Shades of Red, enjoy! Smile

52 Shades of Red is a two disc set from Shin Lim. For $55 you are paying for a gaff deck (Bicycle Rider Back), gimmicks and two DVDs. This is more on the expensive side for a student but you get what you are paying for. I have mixed feelings on this so I will try go through each effect one by one.

First, I would like to explain the gaff deck scenario. You receive a gaff deck of cards which is very clever and innovative. The thing is, the gaff deck you receive isn't even featured in the trailer. All the things you see are other little effects taught on the DVD. The actual gaff deck you recieve allows you to change a deck of cards from blue to red and from printed to blank. Also, the 52 Shades of Red routine taught on the DVD isn't the LIVE PERFORMANCE shown here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfmKMV_a0nw). Elements of it uses the gaff deck, but one - you don't get enough "gimmicks" to make all the different parts of the routines and two - most of the stuff in that video isn't even taught (deck vanish, deck appearance - although a similar concept is used for the deck vanish, the reappearance of the printed aces and deck, etc). So I found that incredibly misleading. Here is the link to the performance of the "52 Shades of Red" routine taught on the DVD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLZDpNehJo
I would recommend watching this before purchasing - because this is the routine you are paying for.

Also, all the effects you see on the trailer can't be performed without buying replacement gimmicks, because you aren't supplied with enough to make nearly all of them. I got to make the gaff deck routine, colour changing box and sandwich disappearance before I ran out. So don't expect to be able to perform all of these. Also you need rubber cement, scissors, tape, about 3 decks of Bicycle Rider Backs (have to be rider back), extra cards, super glue, rulers, different fabrics (trying not to expose anything). It is VERY heavily based on DIY work. I love making my own gimmicks and gaffs (e.g. card splitting) but even I found this excessive. It took me 5 tries to make the basic gaff deck to a workable standard. It was a pain.

Anyway, here are some reviews of the effects on the DVD:
"52 Shades of Red" routine:
This routine is beautiful. A blue card is selected and signed from a blue deck. The card is lost in the pack. You show the aces as blue and place them on the table, with just a wave of the deck, the aces visually change from blue to red. Then with a shake, the deck turns red, except one blue card in the middle. You then take the aces and turn them blank. Then with a wave, the entire deck turns blank except for the signed selected card. The cards are then placed in the box. You then squeeze the deck, causing the cards to vanish. You open your phone case, which has been on the table the entire time, finding one card inside the phone, the signed selected card! This is really fun to perform and quite clever. There are a few sleights here and there but is mainly very gaff based. A few issues is that the colour change showed on the live performance and even the link I gave for the basic "real" performance, he does the one handed change from red to blue. You don't learn how to do that (make the gaff), he teaches another version which he says is better (it isn't...). That was an issue I had. Apart from that, the routine is good and well thought out.
1 in-studio performance - 8/10

Sandwich Making (Impossible Card Vanish/Colour Change):
This is the vanish of the ace between the two court cards. This got me excited on the trailer because I always seem to break elastic cards, and it was obvious there weren't any elastics. The truth is, this is one of the best things on the DVD. You have to make the gaff very well in order for it to be unnoticeable. You can also use the gaff for the colour change from the ace to the queen shown in the first few seconds of the trailer.
Watch Kyle Marlett's performance of this in Unwrapped: Episode 013 at 0:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pD4CJPrpc
3 in-studio perfomances - 9/10

Colour Changing Box:
This is probably the most exciting thing on the trailer. He performs this twice on the DVD, a thing he didn't do with the rest of the effects. The method is easy once the gaff is made, but just so you know, you can't hand the box out at all. This isn't like Rapture where you can just cop the gimmick out. It is literally imbedded in the card box. The gaff is moderately hard to make and very time consuming. It is very fun to practice but also very angle sensitive if you want to perform the one shown in the trailer. Shin is obviously very proud of this. Before each effect on the DVD is taught, there is a mini trailer of the effect being taught. There is a point in the one for the colour changing box where Shin clenches his fist in an almost violent manner. It's quite funny to watch because of his polite manner whilst explaining.
3 in-studio performances - 7/10

Blue to Red, 3s to Kings (4x4 Color Change):
There isn't really much to say about this. This looks really cool and I have tried this out but this is incredibly gaffed and kind of hard to get into. He recommends putting the gaffs in your wallet and slipping them into the deck. Then you have to set up the gaffs away from spectators eyes. Oh, and none of it can be examined. Very weak.
2 live performances - 6/10

Bonus section: You show four blue-backed Aces. With just a wave, they turn into four red-back Kings. Also included in the DVD shin teaches you how to vanish an entire pack of cards in an extremely clean manner:
I will split this up into each effect as each is quite weak and needs to be talked about. They all use a similar concept which uses a close up mat.
Ace transformation: this effect looked so clean on the trailer but in reality you need to be on a close up mat with distance between you and the spectator. The aces are examinable at the end if that counts for anything. Very weak indeed. 2 performances - 6/10
Deck vanish:
Wow. This is the most unpractical thing ever. The gaff looks good on camera and the vanish looks incredibly clean. The gaff is almost impossible to bring into play. If you buy this, you will see what I mean. Literally, impossible. The colour changing deck on the trailer where he waves his hand over it and changes as it passes over it uses this same gaff so that puts perfuming that out of anyone's range. Also, I swear he was wearing pyjamas in one of the performances.
3 in-studio perfomances - 4/10

Overall thoughts:
In closing, this is clever. All the methods are clever and fun to even just know how they work. Is it worth $55? I would say yes, because of the solid 52 Shades routine, which I have already perfumed at a charity event. I have also used the disappearing sandwich routine. If you can get some of the effects to work in your routines, that's great. If not, well, too bad, I guess. The whole DVD is full of ideas and concepts that you can apply to create your own magic. There is no doubt that Shin is very smart and talented. The DVD was produced to a mediocre standard. Just Shin talking to the camera, explaining (and sometimes over explaining) the effects in great detail. The trailer was very well produced, as are all of his trailers. The sound quality was good, there is still the annoying looping background music but I guess that is his style :/ Overall, it's just fun, DIY, gaffed "shinanigens".
Overall rating - 7/10
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
What do you think of the review guys? I tend to go on and on a bit.
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It was nice of you to write such an extensive review - thank you.

This has been out for awhile and so most of us already had idea of the contents - and the typical very heavy Shin Lim Arts & Crafts necessity.

This (52 shades) was not a big hit by any stretch - the thread pretty much ran out of steam after 3 short pages.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I got this (52 Shades) when it first came out. I made all the Arts and craft stuff and really enjoy playing with it. Unfortunate that it is all performance magic that can't really be used close up. If you can switch the effects in and out with normal cards, it is ok.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Always an arts and crafts moment (or several) with Shin Lim. Not necessarily a bad thing to get people constructing but sometimes you just want it out of the box ready.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Just saw the advertisement for version 2 on penguin, wondering what others thoughts on it are. Looks nice but given his past track record with products I don't really want to get my wallet out or my hopes up.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
What are the upgrade on version 2 ?
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Its already being discussed here...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim presents 52 Shades of Red (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL