The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Alternate scripts for beginning of Hat Trick in Card College Book 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gadir
View Profile
New user
Reseda, California
60 Posts

Profile of gadir
In Card College,Book 1 Giobbi teaches a trick called "Hat Trick". This is found at the end of the section of False Cuts. I would like to learn alternate ways to begin the trick. How do you explain and rationalize the selection of the 3 cards? In the book he just picks 3 cards. In the DVD he has a bit of a rationale for the selection, but it still is him picking the 3 cards...

Thanks
Gadi
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1107 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 19:40, gadir wrote:
In Card College,Book 1 Giobbi teaches a trick called "Hat Trick". This is found at the end of the section of False Cuts. I would like to learn alternate ways to begin the trick. How do you explain and rationalize the selection of the 3 cards? In the book he just picks 3 cards. In the DVD he has a bit of a rationale for the selection, but it still is him picking the 3 cards...

Thanks
Gadi

I would go with the presentation given in the DVD, which is not original with him. If you have card College 5 go to page 1139 to 'A Psychological Test' and you'll see pretty much the same 'silly questions' plot. Giobbi credits Herb Zarrow for this idea. Personally I do not perform 'A Hat Trick' since I think 'A Psychological Test' is much better.

mlippo
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1107 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 19:40, gadir wrote:

Thanks
Gadi

If you really want something different then a set up is needed. A c**** c**** f***e (also in Card College 1 I think) could be used to have the spectator cut to the three cards which are put aside and then YOU go into the cutting sequnce to find the three matching cards.

PM if you have further questions

mlippo
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1004 Posts

Profile of Ado
Well, if you show the deck is well mixed, face up, chat about coincidences, the weather, and how much you love bacon, you can very nonchalently pick up the three cards as if you were not paying attention to it. That's my approach to this trick.

P!
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
So many angles to approach from, the answer really depends on your performance style but I’ll throw a few ideas at you and see what bites.

Bro John Hamman has an effect called “Peek, Look, Think” which is named after how each of three spectators selects cards during the course of the trick. I think the premise could be easily adapted to this effect in terms of explaining what various methods there are to make a magician’s job harder in selecting of a card. To help remedy these difficulty’s a magician needs to develop an intuition to situations, and you use this intuition in selecting the prediction cards, then the “Peek, Look Think” premise to select the cards you’re predicting.

This would add a nice interactive element to the trick with the spectator if presented in this way which isn't how it’s presented in the book since the only involvement the spectator really has in the Card Collage version is shuffling the deck at the very beginning.

A variation on this theme could be the action of thought, word, and deed, complete the sum of human capability which is another angle this theme could go.

Another route could be taken is there are three great divisions completing time--past, present, and future, and the presenting of the three prediction cards could be produced in such a way that each prediction presents each of these divisions.

For example instead of having your three predictions on the table at the very beginning you could use the first prediction to represent past by having the spectator select his card first then you produce your prediction second. For present you could have your prediction and the spectator’s card selected and revealed in unison together and future represented by you placing your prediction first then his selection second.

Magically

Aus
gadir
View Profile
New user
Reseda, California
60 Posts

Profile of gadir
Thanks for the responses.. I now have more options.. and can continue to the next section in the book

Gadi
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
Is Hat Trick the one where the magician selects three cards, then blind-cuts their mates out of the deck?

If so, here's the presentation I've thought about using: Select a two, a ten, and a king. Tell the audience, "This can be performed with any three cards, but I like to use these three." Proceed with the effect. At the end, reveal the three cut-to cards. After your audience reacts, say, "Remember I said this could've been performed with any three cards, but that I like to use these three. I'm afraid it's just for the sake of a cheap joke, because I like to call this trick 'King Two Ten Common.'" (King Tutankhamun.)

When everybody's done groaning, flip over one of the kings. On the back, there are Egyptian hieroglyphs; then you can transition into... uh, The Seamus Card, I think? It's the one that uses hieroglyphs, anyway. The dumb joke provides a useful excuse for including the hieroglyphs, and also if the audience is convinced you showed the backs clean during Hat Trick, then the revelation of the hieroglyphs is another magical moment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Alternate scripts for beginning of Hat Trick in Card College Book 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL