The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Steel Ball & Tube (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
I had always ignored this trick, although I had one as a kid. I stopped in a shop the other day with the intention to buy a simple classic effect requiring sleights. Decided on the Steel ball & tube. Picked one up (EZ Magic), along with the John Kennedy "Chrome Fusion" version and a booklet "Magic with A Steel Ball & Tube" by Magic-Ian. I was really surprised how much can be done with the steel ball & tube. It will keep me busy for some time. Does anyone else play around with this one? Any ideas?

There are some other steel ball effects also...Viking ball thru hand....Johnson "Mint"...could probably be pieced together into a nice little close up routine.
Michael Singer
View Profile
New user
Seattle
33 Posts

Profile of Michael Singer
Docc Hilford uses the Ball and Tube to create a suggestive, trance-like state. It's all explained in his "Ball and Tube" booklet. See

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

for details!

Mike
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery." - Ken Kesey
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Very helpful...thank you so much!
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I've taken an interest in this sadly-neglected prop. The problem has been that this has always been handled as a puzzle --"I can make the ball slide into the tube and you can't." Magic-Ian's book is a great start. My idea is to do an extended routine, treating the ball and tube like a chop cup.

Find 2 clear marbles the size of the steel ball. Superglue one inside the narrow tube (This is similar to Kennedy's fusion gimmick.) Get a small tube of bubbles. Blow a bubble and produce the loose crystal ball. Bring out the rest(tube and fusion gimmick) as its holder. The production is magical and allows you to do an extended routine with the ball appearing and disappearing. If you take a ball (or fake take) a ball to the pocket, you can ditch/ring in the outer tube or the fusion gimmick. Magic-Ian has a GAFFLESS method for doing the "ball shrinks into the tube" effect, which allows you to end clean.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Darrin,
Thanks for your twist on the ball and tube. I'll definitely play with that one for a while.
Nicholas
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I love this one! But I only like the original. The others just don't have the simplicity or beauty of the original.

I use this constantly. I do the effect, give them the ball and tube and let them have it for a little while and it drives them nuts. Sometimes I will close my close-up set with it and just leave it with them while I go do another table. Then comeback and pick it up and do it at the next table. It's a great effect!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't have it anymore (I guess I lost it) but Ken Brooke had a great routine with this.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Thank you so much...any ideas on where I might find the Ken Brooke material? I have been searching the web, but with no luck.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Darrin and Pete thanks so much for giving us some great ideas.
I had just been thinking about my steel ball and tube as I recently found it hidden away in a box!

take care,

-Jay
forrestlim
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
57 Posts

Profile of forrestlim
I just bought it recently but I can't find a proper way to steal the gimmick. Any advice?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It should just cradle between one of your fingertips and the base of that finger, possibly extending into your palm. From this position it's well hidden and easy to ditch at your convenience.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I use the original(EZ magic B&T) all the time in my Restaurants.I do a three phase routine,after demonstrating that the ball is too big to go into the tube.1.I place the ball on top and ask everyone at the table to imagine that the ball is getting smaller(it slowly sinks in)then I reverse the request(it slowly rises)2.I cover the tube(s)with a black 6" silk and place the ball on top,and have a guest place their finger on top of the ball..and again imagine the ball getting smaller(it sinks and it rises again).3.I steal the outer T and go to my pocket for a tiny skeleton key,(leaving the T)I wave the key over the ball(that sits on top of the silk that sits on top of the tube,and I ask a guest with a steady hand to hold the tube (under the silk) and I proceed to to slowly pull the silk from beneath the ball.The guest is left holding the tube with the ball on top(that is too big to go into the tube).
This is an adaption of a routine that I came across in Genii many years ago.Best.

Rich
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Recently I went to a local shop, thinking I could work on something with that prop. They only had this fancy schmancy, locking gimmick, brass contraption. I passed. You've all inspired me. I'll look for the cheapo silver tube some more.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Josh:If you do buy the Ez Magic B&T I reccommend you buy two or more(they are fairly cheap).After 6 mos.-a year the tubes do become dull,this way you will have an extra when this happens.Metal polish does not seem to help much.Best.

Rich
forrestlim
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
57 Posts

Profile of forrestlim
There'are thumb palm steal and E-Z steal though none of that are deceitful. Thanks to Rich, your idea is just ingenious. Though any one of you have any idea about how to let your onlookers examine the B&T before you start perform?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Forrestlim:Thanks for your kind words.
IMO I do not think it is necessary to have them examine the tube beforehand,because it is supposedly just a tube.So at that point you don't have to prove anything.I do however,sometimes ask someone to hold the ball as I retrieve the tube.Then I ask them to place the ball on top.At the end of the routine they will be holding the ball and tube which they can examine til the cows come home.They will do just that,without even having to ask them to. Smile

Rich
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I know this is an old post, but I was doing some research and this thread came up. Glad to see my 32 year old booklet is still appreciated. I am in prduction of a DVD on this subject which will be out with the few months. Please contact me with any of your routines (if they aren't in my booklet).
magicians@aol.com

Would love to know about the Ken Brookes take on it.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8524 Posts

Profile of funsway
If I were again mentoring a young magician I would include Ian's booklet in amongst the "required" stuff to train timing, Directed Focus, palming, Utility Switch and many other moves foundational to many other effects. Easy to carry, practice in most any setting, and suitable for an audience of age age and sobriety.

The biggest lesson would be -- never limit yourself to what came in the box from a magic shop.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I love the effect but I'm still trying (unsuccessfully sofar) to build it up in a more complete routine than just a quick routine. There are very good advice in the references mentionned above but I need to have the props making sense as everyday objects. The soap bubble idea above is a good track but what is the reason for bringing this short tube with a fairly large circumference ?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8524 Posts

Profile of funsway
I once had a set of napkin rings that clipped together for storage -- thus three would make a tube about 4" long and 1"in diameter. A gimmick could be made to fit and a small tomato or walnut used.

If you mean justifying the standard tube then it can be part of something you take apart for the demonstration: the handle of a spoon or lid, the leg off of a trivet, "fell off you wheelchair", magic-marker, curtain pull, etc.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Steel Ball & Tube (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL