The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PENGUIN LIVE!•Dec 29: 100th LECTURE: Bob Cassidy. Living legend (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I will.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Bob, I really love your name / place routine. The only thing I find myself up against is that when I perform in more casual settings sometimes the burning of the billet isn't possible. I know deep down that I should maybe look at more suitable routines for the situation than compromise such a great piece but like I say I really do love everything about name / place so I thought I would ask if you had any ideas other than burning the billet. The s***ch isn't so much a problem but I know the complete destruction of the billet is integral to the effect so I have struggled to find an alternative! Cheers!!
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
911 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 06:07, TheGingerWizard wrote:
Bob, I really love your name / place routine. The only thing I find myself up against is that when I perform in more casual settings sometimes the burning of the billet isn't possible. I know deep down that I should maybe look at more suitable routines for the situation than compromise such a great piece but like I say I really do love everything about name / place so I thought I would ask if you had any ideas other than burning the billet. The s***ch isn't so much a problem but I know the complete destruction of the billet is integral to the effect so I have struggled to find an alternative! Cheers!!

Just do a center tear
Reader discretion is advised.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

I have thought about that quite a bit, but for some reason it just doesn't sit well with me. I will revisit the idea though, thanks! I also tried out a Looch idea from his drawing dupe in SAD where you put the billet in a place that would be hard to retrieve (if you have SAD or his penguin lecture you will know what I mean) but it doesn't seem to have the same impact then.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

After talking about it here, I've realised there is not much else you can do really!! I'm just going to burn it, if I get any complaints they can swivel, it's more than worth it Smile
dan the man
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of dan the man
Or just tear it into peaces and put them in your pocket for example, like in other variations..
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

If I was going down that route I would probably pre scribble on the d***y do the s***ch and have someone else tear it. The reason I don't want to do the centre tear is I get magicians guilt that the participants will think I see something whilst tearing. It's the reason I don't do centre tears I communicate what I'm doing. Not a problem with the technique, just with me. I've never got on with it. I would probably have that same problem if I was tearing it for real without the p**k.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I must admit that the use of the lighter does have so much going for it that it's better to do and be ***ed (Rhymes with spammed - Silly Nanny filtering something that isn't a swear word anywhere outside of America) than not to do it.

It's use is very cunning and natural and the added theatrics of flame and totality of destruction makes it a winner in every way in my book. And let's be realistic, it's one small piece of paper, not a Cuban Cigar that you are lighting up, so doesn't come under any smoking ban law that I know of. Just make sure you have brought your own receptacle to put the ashes/burning paper in as using anything owned by the establishment just gives them one more reason to complain.

So I either do it complete with the burn and don't bother asking or if for any other reason I can't burn it, I don't do it.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

That is exactly how I have settled on it! Smile
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
While I appreciate masking with asterisks words like "s***ch" and "p**k", it doesn't take a genius lurker to decode those words. Since we're outside Inner Thoughts (why are we?), I'll talk about what the audience sees when I use an alternative to burning.

I want them to be sure their message is gone, so in informal settings I tear it up into little pieces and deposit them into an open soda can. The pieces could hardly be retrieved even if I wanted to (in his lecture Bob covered a funny way to get rid of the pieces which I also have used several times). During a formal performance I either burn the paper or put the torn pieces into my left jacket pocket as dan the man wrote above.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
"s***ch" and "p**k"

Scratch and Pork? Is that really the secret behind this?

:lol:
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Shhh! Smile
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I've discussed alternatives many times here on the Café and in my writings. But I'd rather such discussions take place in Inner Thoughts.

(Note, though, that a CT defeats one of the primary features of the routine.)
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

My bad, consider me told Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2819 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
The lecture was awesome! And I don't use that word lightly, lol.

The only thing I've seen remotely like it is An Evening With Doc Shiels, which I picked up in Michigan over the holidays and watched a couple of days ago. Not in terms of content (as no effects are taught) but in terms of style. Doc is drinking, smoking and cursing while he shares fascinating stories from his career. Sound familiar?

Bob, I suspect you have seen this. If so, care to comment?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

No. I haven't seen it. But it sounds like Doc and I should get together sometime.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

My alternative handling (not using fire) for Name/Place are described in detail in my "The Return of the White Dwarf (and other Names and Places)"
Waller
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Waller
I have not seen the lecture and am not familiar with the routine, but if your question is how to get rid of a b****** clean, why not drop it down the old hatch. Mouth... that is. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Well if you want to downgrade strong mentalism to a comedy routine, yes, you could do that.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
Bob, I was a bit unclear what the reasoning was for dealing the cards face-up in the Koran effect. I understand that you CAN get away with it, but am not sure why you prefer it. Is it to simplify the method slightly, or do you think the effect is stronger that way?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PENGUIN LIVE!•Dec 29: 100th LECTURE: Bob Cassidy. Living legend (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL