The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PENGUIN LIVE!•Dec 29: 100th LECTURE: Bob Cassidy. Living legend (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Doc-

The effect is, IMO, much stronger when the cards are dealt face-up. I've actually had mentalists who should know better ask me afterwards how it was possible to do the effect that way.

I don't want to get into a detailed explanation of my reasoning, though, here in the Penny forum, as it is publicly searchable. If you'd like to ask in Inner Thoughts, I'll be happy to respond.

Best-

Bob
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Bob, posted this on Penguin. Want to reach out and say thanks for all you've contributed to the art.

All I can say is Bob Cassidy is THE MAN! What more could you ask for. You have a guy who's been doing this in the real world since he was a kid. Loves what he does. He's a great thinker who is constantly tweaking his ideas and presentations. What an explosive combination... and it's all handed to you on a silver platter. If you're serious, you'll want to study the S%#T out of ALL OF HIS STUFF! (I just ordered artful mentalism 2 and can't wait to dig in) Do yourself a favor and watch the Card Memory performance on the mental miracles dvd. Sit at your computer and write out the script for the whole routine. The years of refinement should then be made very apparent. Then, using the dynamics you witnessed in his performance as a roadmap, make it your own.

Bob, you ROCK brother! Much respect.

Bobby

P.S. You remind be to a "T" of one of my buddies from the neighborhood growing up back in Boston.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Thanks, Bobby. I'm happy that you've found my material useful.

Good thoughts,

Bob
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Loved the lecture,

In regards to the Th*mb Writ*r I did a search for "dunlop nickel banjo finger pick" and many sorts and sizes came up.
I have a reg. sized thumb, is it asking too much for a reference to the right type of finger pick? Smile

Any tips would be appreciated, I'm running a bit low on moolah right now otherwise I would go ahead and get "THE RESURRECTION OF DR. CROW"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Get these. You can use four of them for NWs and give the thumb pick to a musician friend.

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-33P018-......00GEAR08

The metal is malleable and is easily bent to fit any size thumb.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Thanks Bob, would you mind also mentioning what you use as an islet for the listo led? I believe you were about to but then lost your train of thought Smile

Thanks
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

PMd you. I'd rather not discuss this in this public area of the Café.

Best-

Bob
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Thanks Smile
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Bob,

Just got a chance to watch the lecture, great as usual. I found the conversational
approach with Dan to be most informative and entertaining.

Hopefully they will have you back, perhaps to do a 5 hour session on Q&A,
and perhaps an In depth on that back palm, lol

I'll spring for the sugar water Smile

Renz
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

What sugar water? Smile

Thanks Renz.

Bob
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
My sugar water would be Jack Daniels , lol

I also picked up Artful 2, going to start it this week
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Just finished the lecture (a little late to the party) and wanted to chime in with how fantastic a video this really is. As mentioned above the routines are incredible and will fry everyone who watches them. But that is not the real beauty here. It is the conversational moments between the effects. They teach more about the performance of really strong mentalism than just watching the routines does. Dan and Bob do such a great job of breaking down the reasoning behind why you do what you do rather than just what you do and that is where the real magic is. Bob clearly has worked this stuff to a point where he could do it in his sleep which makes the presentation even stronger because he can concentrate on selling every moment. It's a shame I'm unlikely to get to see bob perform live living all the way over in the uk but with this video you get the very best of it to watch again and again. It should become a must watch for anyone who wants to add moments of real astonishment to there work and whilst the material may not be suitable for magicians the thinking behind the effects would benefit any performer of the mystery arts.

Can't wait to get some of this thinking into my own material.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
psychomind
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of psychomind
Bob's Lecture was amazing.
In my opinion one of the best Lecture from Penguin.
Robert P.
View Profile
Elite user
Kansas
482 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Finally got around to watching the lecture and really enjoyed it.

I remember when I was first exposed to Bob Cassidy and Harry Lorayne about 15 years ago when I was first starting out in magic (and long before I got into mentalism). I'll be honest, I was young, didn't know anything (don't know much more now), and I didn't care for them too much. Being a guy from the midwest, I thought these east coast guys came off as a little arrogant or cocky. Luckily I was smart enough to keep these thoughts to myself, and I eventually just listened to what they had to say and teach. The knowledge and insight they had (have) is so vast. Not only do they have great tricks but the thinking behind the tricks is what I came to appreciate more. How to present yourself and more importantly how to entertain the audience. The respect and accolades they have received over the years is there for a reason. Why I thought that about them back then, I have no idea, I was dumb and naive. But to this day they have become two of my favorite performers, watching them entertain is truly something. The reason I also bring up Harry Lorayne with Bob Cassidy is because I see a lot of similarities, and I'll touch on those in a minute. But anyways, the lecture.

I knew beforehand that the lecture was going to be special. It would be more about how and why we do the things we do, not just the tricks themselves. Looking over at my bookshelf, I've got plenty of books and DVDs, enough 'tricks' to last several lifetimes, but to learn more about how to be a better entertainer is what I was really excited about. That and I knew there would be some great stories. I really love listening to the stories. Smile Bob shares a story about how he first started out in magic and card manipulations and fan and split fan productions. Then he goes on to show his back palm! A good one at that! Sitting there smiling, I just shook my head. I identified because I also started in card manipulations. And while I don't practice it as much anymore, I still have a great fondness for it (thank you, Jeff McBride!).

Even though I tuned in for his thinking, the effects he did were awesome. Many of them from his Art of Mentalism 2. And the scripting, little nuances, how he picks out "volunteers", this stuff is gold, Jerry! Gold!".

Bob also touches on his favorite books. It would be great to hear some honorable mentions that have come up since then (since he can't really change the list due to the play on 'thirty-nine'). Pete McCabe's Scripting Magic and Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment are two that I would rank right up there. My main point being that it is fascinating hearing these great minds give their thoughts on other recommended works. Hearing Bob talk about Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook and how he couldn't sell it when working in a magic shop.. another great listen.

I also learned about Hans Moretti:

Hans Moretti Cardboard box illusion
The Crossbow (1995) - Hans & Helga Moretti

And how Bob worked under him as an assistant. I am still in awe when watching the videos. I never really liked stage illusions. Those are the exceptions.

I could go on and on with the gems in this lecture, I won't but I have to mention Bob's card memory routine. This is something near and dear to my heart since I am in the process of learning to memorize a deck of cards with a goal to do it in under a minute. I've been training my memory (thank you, Harry Lorayne!), and this routine by Bob really resonated with me because like he and Harry Lorayne, I like to incorporate actual mnemonic techniques into my act. I find the topic fascinating. The way Bob is able to take a card memory demonstration, and make it entertaining while keeping a good pace, etc. It is a work of art.

Can't stress it enough, this is a great lecture, can't wait until Richard Osterlind (the awesome guy who kindled my interest in mentalism) and Bob Cassidy get together for another lecture. If they only told stories and gave their thoughts on mentalism I will die a happy man.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Please don't die after you watch our lecture. (And I hope we don't die while doing it.)

Funny you should mention Harry. He was (and is) one of my favorite performers ever since I first saw him on the Ed Sullivan show many decades ago.

But thank you for the nice comments and I'm glad you enjoyed my lecture.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PENGUIN LIVE!•Dec 29: 100th LECTURE: Bob Cassidy. Living legend (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL