The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Approach audience with packet tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
I've finally started delving into packet tricks instead of full deck tricks and was curious how you guys approach your spectators with a packet trick. Do you bring the wallet that you keep them in and go into your trick, or do you have the tricks prepared outside of a vest pocket or pants pocket?
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
My buddies take out a packet wallet or just show a few cards. I like to take the cards out of a deck.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
It depends on the trick for me. Some I carry in a little wallet like Virginia City Shuffle and Color Monte, some I keep in a deck like Double Back. Stand Up Monte I do right from my jacket pocket.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I agree, depends on effect and how YOU are going to approach it. Are you telling a story about how this guy took you for a bunch of money with these 3 special cards (Color Monte, Virginia City Shuffle...) then out of a seperate wallet or pocket is fine where Twisting the Aces you might be much better off pulling from the deck already in play. It will just be up to you and your style. (most specs think every card or deck we have is a trick deck anyway Smile )
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I wonder if,after the spectator gets home, they remember if the small packet of cards was removed from a wallet or from a deck of cards...would they even care?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I agree with my buddies PD and Theo here...it depends on how you present it. Smile

I do packet tricks all the time and no one ever seems to wonder why I don't have a full deck. I simply pull out the cards and say something like, "Sometimes a whole deck of 52 cards can be a bit confusing, so I just carry these 3 or 4 cards...Let me show you..." Works like Novocaine. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I also think it all depends on how you present it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 21:08, Mb217 wrote:

I do packet tricks all the time and no one ever seems to wonder why I don't have a full deck.

I always knew you weren't playin with a full deck Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
Thanks for all the feedback, I normally just pull out my packet wallet and people just wait for the magic to happen. Just wanted to see other people's method and seems clear that its not a bother or raise any suspicions.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Most packet tricks I do can be done with normal cards so they can be pulled straight from the deck. Any gimmicked or set up packet trick usually involves cards that don't come in a complete deck, like four jokers or cards with a different colored back that you can work into your patter. At the end of the trick you just put them away and don't worry about explanation, just move to the next effect without pause.

Larry Jennings has a few packet tricks that don't use gimmicks that are worth looking into. I'm sure there are many others that will chime in with their own reccomendations.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
It depends upon what your audience expects.
Generally producing a packet is dodgy, your audience will expect a deck, so hide the packet within it.
If they're expecting you to be using gaffed cards (and they will), they'll be looking for them.
As a magician you'll be expected to be "pulling the wool over their eyes" somehow. So your job is to hide that.
Basically make sure the "trick" can't be exposed eg. by having the cards snatched from your hand.
Steve
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 02:20, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 21:08, Mb217 wrote:

I do packet tricks all the time and no one ever seems to wonder why I don't have a full deck.

I always knew you weren't playin with a full deck Smile

:D

And Merry Christmas, my friend…And to all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Just saw jason ladayne pull out a small packet of cards after performing with a regular deck. ' we're just gonna use a few old cards that I collected up, as we're gonna write all over them, and I don't want to ruin my new full deck'.
I though that was a perfectly acceptable reason for introducing a packet of cards if the effect suits?
K
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Create plausibility with your presentation...then just pull out whatever you need and get to work. If it makes you feel better to use a full deck dodge, go for it. Me? I do what I told you and haven't missed a beat in decades.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
The few packet tricks I've been doing are nestled in a jacket pocket or wallet without explanation. I keep them in collectible card sleeves to keep them looking nice. They do a good job to keep them together/ protect them from bends and folds.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
I mostly do packet tricks with non-gaffed cards, so I just take normal deck and take out the cards that I need.
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Honestly it doesn't matter... It's up to you....

I've heard everything from "It's better" (not the majority) to it ruins the illusion (the majority) and I'll be honest... The audience doesn't care or know what you are going to do. They are only going to care about random cards coming out if you make it an odd thing. You're a magician, they have probably never seen one in person before, how do they know if it's normal for a magician to have some cards separate from the deck? Maybe you're just a nut for efficiency.

I use to joke before I took them out... Do you have a deck at home missing some cards? Yea these are the cards... Never asked about them beyond that.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 14:09, smullins wrote:

I use to joke before I took them out... Do you have a deck at home missing some cards? Yea these are the cards... Never asked about them beyond that.

That's a great line. You gotta let me know who you;re writer is.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Haha it's a lot of bad jokes and occasionally coming up with a good one that works for me haha
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
The Fractilicious DVD by John Bannon & Liam Montier has some good info regarding this subject.
Plus, some killer routines to boot. Well worth getting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Approach audience with packet tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL