The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crooked by Ronnie Ramin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3821 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone have this? Updated handling of Sachs dice routine. Spots visually rearrange into odd patterns for finale. Demo on youtube.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey Eric,

As the producer of this effect, we're excited to finally have it released! We feel this is the best handling of the classic Dr. Sack trick to date. It took a year to get everything prepared and we did all of the packaging by hand. You can see it here: http://trcky.com/crooked.html

I noticed that you said "Sachs dice routine." While Edwin Sachs does play an important role in the effect, it has a pretty rich history before and after him. At TRCKY, we love that kind of stuff so we put a page together detailing it. Check it out, if you're interested: http://trcky.com/dice-history

Rich Aviles
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3724 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
How would you compare this routine with Radical Dice by Sol Stone?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
samdan
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of samdan
Anyone know the difficulty level?
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Not too difficult. The dice are a manageable size and Ronnie built in some features so you can easily keep track of what is where.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Magicinsight,

Both myself and Ronnie are fans of Sol's routine. It's tough to do a direct comparison of Crooked to Radical Dice, though. The two routines are based on the same core concept so they have an inherent similarity in effect. However, Crooked comes with a few more options and a fuller routine. The big thing that Crooked has added is a new and logical finale that has been missing from any routine of this type. If you're trying to make a decision between the two, the best thing you can do is watch the demos of both routines and choose the one that appeals to you most.

Samdan,

I answered your PM asking the same question but wanted to add it here in case anyone else has the same thoughts.

There are a few different handlings on the DVD that range in difficulty. Several of them are easy enough for anyone to do instantly. And I'll admit there are also a couple things that will take a bit more work. I think it's a great routine for a beginner because it's possible to do the basic effect immediately, and grow into the more difficult handlings with more practice.

---

Thanks for your interest, everyone!

Rich Aviles
http://trcky.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3724 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Rich,
Thank you for the reply and additional information. With Crooked, could I do the main parts of the Radical Dice routine and then do Crooked ending?

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey Michael,

Technically, if you owned both Radical Dice and Crooked, you could perform one and then end with another. However, it's important to note that our dice were made by a different process, so they do look slightly different than the ones that are provided with Radical Dice. If you have some distance, no one should notice, but up close, there is a visible difference between the way the dice are engraved/painted.

Hope this helps!

Rich Aviles
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3724 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Rich,

Thank you very much for your help. I will purchase them tomorrow morning.

Happy holiday and New Year.

Best wihes,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
saffon
View Profile
New user
UK Luton
7 Posts

Profile of saffon
Hi sorry to be a pain , are the dice gimmicked ? looks good as well thanks
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
The Dice have been Strategically spotted to create the effect and also to allow you to hand the dice out at the end.

I have done the Sack routine for years, and love it. It only lacked the ability to hand the dice out in the Altered State. When I came up with the idea I literally could not sleep for a week while I tried to figure out a way to make it happen. I'm very satisfied with this ending. You'll see when you start making the Dots VISIBLY move, you have begun to affect you're audiences reality, then you hand the dice out.
At the end of the Sack routine you hand the dice out and they're normal, and they think, "...oh, that was sneaky I guess it's the way he holds them." When you hand out the Crooked dice it nails 'em.

The Sack routine is just one of the routines, there are routines where you visually pick off the pips, slide them with your fingers, and more. Rich contributed some great routines that have a unique feel to them, he sets up the ending beautifully.

I love the fact that I can do such a cool effect using one of the very first principles of Magic that I learned.

Ronnie-
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I perform as a mentalist, however I do buy the occasional piece of magic if I like the look of it...so I did buy this...the main/basic move I've fine with, but the "other" move, the reverse - I'm really struggling with...i don't really understand the instructions, even though they seem perfectly clear and I can see ronnie do it as he describes it...

but something isn't working between my brain and my fingers...

soooooo - for those that have it and know more about this kind of stuff than me, where can I find a resource that'll teach this a little more indepth/descriptively, please?

thanks...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Heinstein
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Heinstein
I've performed several dice routines over the years and I really like this one. I haven't worked it into my repertoire yet but I will soon. I've seen it performed and it's very clever thinking. Definitely recommended!
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
The DVD also teaches a visual sliding of a dot, by Rich Aviles, and it's so *** clever I would not have thought of it in a million years. Love it!

/Tomas
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Does it come with 2 regular dice and 1 special one?
I took the Pledge
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
It comes with three special dice. They are very nice. The routines are very good. I have not done much dice work, so I figure it will take a bit of practice. However, I think it is well worth it.
KJ
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Looks very promising
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3821 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I carry dice with me every day and usually perform a combo of Bob Sheets' It's the Rules with an Ivory Connection kicker. I learned the original handling from Bob and have been doing it every since. I was excited to see Crooked because I like the idea of mis-spotted dice. Unfortunately, my Crooked set came with what appear to be two regular dice and one that is mis-spotted. So I didn't get the proper dice. I"m sure Penguin will send me the correct set but still annoying. As for the routine, I have mixed feelings. Ronnie uses a grip that is different from the grip I learned. I do it straight on, facing the spectators. His is more of a sideways grip with the palm facing the audience. IMO, Ronnie's grip is not as deceptive, at times looks odd, and it certainly makes the routine hard to learn if you are used to the grip I use with the palm facing the performer. I'm sure I'll be able to adapt the routine to the grip I use but without the proper dice, I've not been able to try it out.

As for the teaching, IMO it is just ok. It goes by quickly and my guess is that if you've never had experience with the Sachs routine, you will have absolutely no idea what is going on and will quickly get frustrated. Given the nature of these routines, both the sequence and orientation of the dice is critical, and it will take several rewinds to figure out what is going on here. This will be even harder if you use the grip I use.

At the end of the day, I'm up in the air on this one. I think someone well-versed in the Sachs routine will be able to figure out a way to add in the mis-spotted die as a kicker. Those that have no experience with the Sachs routine should steer clear of this until you get Bob Sheet's dvd and learn the original handling.
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
I've just received the effect. I bought it because I have a dice felish!Unfortunately I found the video instructions very confusing. Perhaps that's just me.
I'm English but at times I found Mr Ramin's English a little confusing.
My main !@#$% is that the explanations were delivered so fast that by the time I found the correct position on the dice Mr. Ramin was detailing another sleight.
I love the concept of the routine but what is missing is a clearly illustrated pdf file showing the position of the dice at various stages - just like the original book illustrations.
Just my thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crooked by Ronnie Ramin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL