The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Workers 5 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I would like to buy Michael Closes books Workers 5 to learn about his use of the Memorized deck. I have his Very, Very Close video that dealt with the use of the decks and I liked the effects he did although some of it looked very hard. I was wondering if any of you had the book and what you thought about it. I don't mind memorizing the deck, but I thought some of the stuff he did where he cut to a certain card looked really hard. Any feedback
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Are you looking for info on memorizing the deck or tricks to do after you have memorized the deck?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
If you're looking to Memorize a memorized deck...I suggest Simon Aronson's books. I believe that Simon's stack is the one Mike uses in his memorized deck work. Also, there is a book "Six Hours to a Memorized Deck" that my friend swears by. I don't do memorized deck work myself but have seen the huge impact that it carries. It's just not MY thing. Good luck with it!
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I'm looking for info about tricks that you can do with the memorized deck. As I understand, the process of really coming to know the deck is a matter of just sitting down and working with it. I noticed is Michael's video that several of his tricks involved cutting to a specific card in the deck or cutting exactly eleven cards off the top of the deck. He also recommends as a drill to practice cutting to each card in the deck in order by suit. I've never used a memorized deck before or tried to cut off specific numbers of cards or tried to do six perfect faro shuffles to change the order of the deck for one trick. After memorizing the deck it seems like I would still need a great amount of technical skill to do the effects he presented. I was thinking about buying the book after seeing the video, and I don't mind putting in the practice to do the effects. I was just wondering, after memorizing the deck how many other things would I need to be able to do to perform the tricks in the book. Do all of the effects require a high level of technical skill or could I do something after just memorizing the deck.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
The book is excellent, but I agree with others if memorized deck work is your interest, start with Simon Aronson. He has great effects and a great stack to learn.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Simon Aronson's memorized deck stack (A STACK TO REMEMBER) is currently available in the book BOUND TO PLEASE.

To answer your question, 27, the memorized deck is just a tool. There are lots of routines out there, some using sleights, some not.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
HI rsummer27,

the tricks you saw performed by Michael Close are what we call "Stack Independant", which means that they can be done with ANY stack (Aronson, Joyal, Tamariz, Green, Rix, your own....).

So before you go any further, you need to do some research on which particular memorized deck you want to learn (read; memorize).

There are 4 main points to consider when you decide to choose which stack to memorize (listed in no particular order):

-Does it look like a shuffled deck?
-How easy is it to memorize?
-Will it remains in your memory for a long time?
-Are there any built-in tricks? (that you will actually use!)

The way you prioritize these questions will lead you to the right stack to memorize.

I have a friend who decided to memorized the Si Stebbins stack when you do Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebbins secret with a New Deck, as he prefers the built-in effects that can be done with a Si Stebbins order rather than the built-in features of the Aronson Stack.

I strongly recommend you buy Simon Aronson's "Bound to Please" book, which will explain in details the builtin features of the Aronson stack and also the mnemonics to learn it, as well as some great routines. Even if you decide to choose to learn another memorized deck (like I have) you still have some good routines in this book, so there is no money wasted.

Hope this help!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada

Oh, and this might be a good read before you go any further:

http://www.simonaronson.com/Memories%20A......This.pdf

and once you decided which stack to learn, you might want to download Nick Pudar's "Stack View" program at
http://www.stackview.com

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
This volume of Workers is for card workers only...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Workers 5 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL