The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem: Works TOO good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Hollowed Skull
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Mr. Hollowed Skull
I decided to take a break from performing magic for quite some time now in order to improve upon sleight of hand. Thus, not allowing my ID to be picked up for a while.For the first time in a month, I tried to use the ID and NONE OF THE CARDS WILL REVEAL. I have used this deck so many times that I started creating a reputation. Is the deck worn out now? It can't be that the ***** fluid is worn out on the cards, could it?
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Did you buy the ID from a dealer or did you make it yourself.
If the latter, how did you prepare it? Spray, fluid, stick? What brand.
I've had my ID decks for years and never had that problem. I have 3 and one of them has been in storage for months without any issues.
Since you used it previously successfully, it is not a user issue.
Ihor
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
If the coating was "worn out" the cards would be slick again, not too sticky. I would try rubbing each pair back-to-back to loosen the grip a bit.

If that doesn't work, I see a new ID in your stocking!
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
I've had dry hands at events and had a hard time revealing a card with the ID. I have several decks with various degrees of stickiness. I simply give a quick lick of the finger tips (does not look as bad as it sounds) and back to the deck and the cards come apart very easily. If you're in a jam, it will work!
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Hi don't feel bad I had issues before and still do at times. I searched here on the Café and came across Mimesis magic .he makes something called a better fluid deck,it's an I.D. Look at and you'll never have that issue.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Sometimes they just stick, darn em, and you have to almost peel them apart! I find the decks get better with use. I hate breaking in a new ID!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
I'm in total agreement with ANTHONYJD that the MIMESIS Fluid Invisible Deck is the best. Mr. Evans also makes the other types of FLUID decks. The issue with the cards not separating are solved with the Mimesis decks.

Here's the link:
http://www.mimesis-magic.com/mimesis_deck_effects.html

IMHO, Mr. Evans also writes some of the most unique books in magic:
http://www.mimesis-magic.com/mimesis_books.html

The SELF-CONTAINED CARD DELIVERY SYSTEM, made me into a Mene-Tekel fan.
thecardbutler
View Profile
New user
Mexico City, Mexico
50 Posts

Profile of thecardbutler
Also, if you don't want to buy special fluids, you can just use baby powder to make a pretty convincing ID.
Jp
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 14:34, thecardbutler wrote:
Also, if you don't want to buy special fluids, you can just use baby powder to make a pretty convincing ID.
Jp

Without giving exposing the specific principle of the ID, can you give a hint as to the procedure here? I imagine it is a substitute for r******* fluid or stick, but how does one keep the powder confined to the desired surfaces? I also surmise the result is temporary and the powder wears off.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 14:06, 2thepoint wrote:
I'm in total agreement with ANTHONYJD that the MIMESIS Fluid Invisible Deck is the best. Mr. Evans also makes the other types of FLUID decks. The issue with the cards not separating are solved with the Mimesis decks.

Here's the link:
http://www.mimesis-magic.com/mimesis_deck_effects.html

IMHO, Mr. Evans also writes some of the most unique books in magic:
http://www.mimesis-magic.com/mimesis_books.html

The SELF-CONTAINED CARD DELIVERY SYSTEM, made me into a Mene-Tekel fan.

Will definitely keep Mimesis in mind for future special deck purchases. I am a beginner and have picked up single decks (Mental Photography, and ID and Brainwave on order) from a guy on eBay named Tracy Kidd, and have been pleased with his work, but his prices are high unless one buys in bulk, and I have no need for a brick of these things right now. Will definitely check out the Mimesis products, and if the shipping to Canada is reasonable I will pick a few up.

As for the OP's concern, I have found with my MP that the pairs now separate more easily of their own according during fanning as the deck is broken in. It is frustrating because I have to apply just enough pressure not to flash a card face when showing the blanks. I thought the deck was wearing out already, yet it seems such a property is desirable in an ID and Brainwave deck, and I hope my new arrivals behave appropriately when I get them.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I have a couple of IDs on order from different makers to compare, but in the meantime I fashioned a "temporary" ID using ChapStick, which I read in another place was a viable modern substitute for diachylon. Had to apply the stuff sparingly and cards need some "English" to separate, but the ChapStick is a lot better than beeswax or dental wax (I don't have any magician's wax), which is thicker and stickier and gives a horrid scritch when the cards separate. Since learned that made spray lacquer is a good and more enduring option, but if these things are not that pricey I should buy in bulk and not futz with DIY.

On a positive note used my MacGyvered ID to try out an abbreviated fields routine with a couple of folks, and despite my halting handling of a homemade pack, minds were blown. It is just a darn near perfect trick.

Les
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 01:07, lcwright1964 wrote:
I have a couple of IDs on order from different makers to compare, but in the meantime I fashioned a "temporary" ID using ChapStick, which I read in another place was a viable modern substitute for diachylon. Had to apply the stuff sparingly and cards need some "English" to separate, but the ChapStick is a lot better than beeswax or dental wax (I don't have any magician's wax), which is thicker and stickier and gives a horrid scritch when the cards separate. Since learned that made spray lacquer is a good and more enduring option, but if these things are not that pricey I should buy in bulk and not futz with DIY.

On a positive note used my MacGyvered ID to try out an abbreviated fields routine with a couple of folks, and despite my halting handling of a homemade pack, minds were blown. It is just a darn near perfect trick.

Les

Chapstick? Wow.

At least your cards won't have chapped pips lol
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-01-10 07:40, AnthonyJD wrote:
Hi don't feel bad I had issues before and still do at times. I searched here on the Café and came across Mimesis magic .he makes something called a better fluid deck,it's an I.D. Look at and you'll never have that issue.

I just received an order from Mimesis and I can vouch completely for the ingenious treatment of Shawn's fluid decks. It takes just a bit of practice to get used to the slightly different treatment, but the separation issue in the ID and BW decks has been solved once you get the knack of the handling.

I must recommend Mimesis especially to my fellow Canadians. Even with shipping, my total order of six Mimesis decks (2 BW, 1 Sv, 1 Mirage, 1 ID, 1 Str) came out to C$82, all in. My local magic shop sells such gaffed decks for between C$12 and C$19, depending on the deck, PLUS 13% HST. I support the store in many other regards, but it doesn't resell Mimesis products (maybe it should?), and Shawn's decks compare favourably in price and are of top quality.

HTH,

Les
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
As far as the treating goes Shawns decks are the best by a country mile . I like Science friction over traditional Matt spray but Shawns are the best but unfortunately he won't reveal what he uses which is fair enough but they really are amazing and also better than roughing sticks 😊
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I bought a dual force mirage from nemesis very good.But now I make my own up using harry Robson's roughing stick.I bought a Svengali deck then turned it into a mirage and spec can pull the card out they select rather than touching the back.Harrys stick keeps em together when you apply force let go and they slide easily.
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
I also use the Robson's roughing stick. Bets in the market IMO and let's you create many small miracle with a variety of cards. Build a nice Poker test using baseball players.
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2016, magic in mind wrote:
I bought a dual force mirage from nemesis very good.But now I make my own up using harry Robson's roughing stick.I bought a Svengali deck then turned it into a mirage and spec can pull the card out they select rather than touching the back.Harrys stick keeps em together when you apply force let go and they slide easily.

I don't see the double force Mirage on their website. Can you please point me in the right direction?
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I gave up roughing fluid after decades of using it once I got my hands on the roughing stick. Will never go back to the old spray method again.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I got the mimesis better invisible deck today and definitely recommend it to anyone that has some difficulty with the standard invisible deck.
I've always shyed away from performing with the invisible deck due to my hands being too dry to separate and also when I would spread the cards a few face down cards would flash.Over the years I have tried different roughing sticks,fluids and different techniques to apply to the cards but still had no luck. After playing with this deck for a few hours I can safely say that I will have no problem performing with it.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Is there a "special something" that makes it work so well?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem: Works TOO good? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL