The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Entanglement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
This is an effect that I came up with a while back and just recently made some modifications to. It's something I am thinking of putting out on the market one day. I don't how interested others would be in it, but I like it. Maybe because I am a science nerd and it lets me talk about physics for a minute. Smile

It's basically an ACAAN with a sci fi twist.

This is how it will always look 100% of the time. The only thing that might be different is that the spectator deals from the bottom instead of the top. Also, the first few (1-5) and last few (49-52) numbers in the 1-52 range are no good, and there are also a handful of numbers (6 total) scattered throughout the deck that you can't use. So if one of these numbers gets chosen, I will have the spectator add or subtract (their choice) a little bit to/from their number, just to make it "more random". Hence why I say "START by selecting a number between 1 and 52" so then if necessary I can say, "and now add or subtract a little bit from your number,.. say no more than 5, so we can really get a truly random number."

Most of the time you won't have to do this, since the amount of "bad" numbers is so small. However, the couple of times that I have had to use the adjustment, no one seemed too concerned about it and remained convinced that they truly picked a random number that I could not have known.

Other than that this is pretty much 100% fool proof. The deck isn't gaffed and can be examined. There is no memorization except for knowing which numbers are the "bad" numbers. You never touch the spectator's deck, so they can't accuse you of using a sleight. It's about as close as I could get to a perfect ACAAN that I could do 100% of the time.

So enough talk, watch it here:

https://vimeo.com/82532848

Password: acaan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10722 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Over two min, of talking I shut it off....no one would ever believe that story.
just do the trick
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
That looks *** clever!

Vinny, the story in the beginning is true. Smile

/Tomas
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 04:51, TomasB wrote:
That looks *** clever!

Vinny, the story in the beginning is true. Smile

/Tomas

Thanks Tomas!

Yes everything I say at the beginning is true. Einstein used to call it"Spooky action at a distance." and scientist believe that wormholes may be behind it. this was all over the news not long ago. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/1......glement/

I could shorten the explanation. I think my set up is usually a bit shorter when I'm out and about. In a more relaxed situation, I do tend to ramble a bit. My apologies. Hey but the science stuff is true at least. ;-)
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
942 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Great stuff, Brad! I love the premise.

Vinny, your "just do the trick" attitude sucks so much. Just watch the video and be amazed.

Mike
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Thanks Mike! I appreciate the kind words. Smile
RScot
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of RScot
Have to say that I am very intrigued by this. A full performance and informative description. Imagine that! I assume that I could use either of these decks to do other effects immediately after?

Let me know if decide to send out review copies.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4955 Posts

Profile of landmark
Premise: good
Method: good
Presentation skills: pleasant personality, engaging rapport with spec.
Presentation: yes, as you said, too long. Much too long. Now some of that is obviously due to the method, but way too much procedure for the size of the effect. Personally, I'd trade risk for snappiness, and leave out the whole "27th card" section of the script. Just ask for the number, and worry about it later.
Best of luck in refining this.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
It was a bit long winded but not too bad. I liked the entanglement hook. And everything you said is perfectly true!
I didn't like the 2 jokers were removed during counting and then added back in but I don't think it really detracts.
It also occurs to me that this could be done with a memorized deck. After you get the number you just force the card
that naturally occurs at that number in your stack.

I liked it. Would I pay for it as a stand alone item? nope.
It would be great as something to put in a magazine like Magic or Genii though. Or even in a book with a bunch of other stuff.
RScot
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of RScot
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 00:46, Chad Sanborn wrote:
It was a bit long winded but not too bad. I liked the entanglement hook. And everything you said is perfectly true!
I didn't like the 2 jokers were removed during counting and then added back in but I don't think it really detracts.
It also occurs to me that this could be done with a memorized deck. After you get the number you just force the card
that naturally occurs at that number in your stack.

I liked it. Would I pay for it as a stand alone item? nope.
It would be great as something to put in a magazine like Magic or Genii though. Or even in a book with a bunch of other stuff.

I think the point is to make it appear as though the spectator had a clear free choice of their number and card. The number is freely chosen albeit a small fair adjustment for a select few numbers, and although the suit is forced they apparently have a free choice of their value. This all takes place in the spectator's mind. Now unless you have a psychological force that can be adapted to any card and can be done in a short amount of time then your only other option is to physically use the deck to force the card you want. You have then changed the effect dramatically. Spectator's are not stupid and at least a some will assume that you forced the card using the deck. They may not know how, but it's the logical conclusion.

What I like about this effect is that the selection process seems very fair and the performer never touches the deck. These are some key aspects to the perfect ACAAN. Is this a perfect ACAAN? Not by a long shot, but it does display some of the key components. I can see this being an effect that makes it hard for someone to wrap their head around it.

The presentation needs work, but from what I can gather the method is sound.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10722 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ok so the story is true...... I WAS TURNED OFF BY THE VERY LONG intro....
ill give it a look see,,,,
vinny

PS Tenchu my just the do the trick attitude doesn't suck this my opinion.......
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate it all. This is still a work in progress, and everyone's comments have made me think about my presentation and how to tighten it up. This will only make it better for future performances! So for that, I am thankful. This is exactly the reason why I posted it here.

Thank you Chad for your input. That is the type of honest feedback that helps me out a lot. However, I do think there is a benefit to keeping the selection process as simple, fair, and without additional props or handling. There is definitely a difference between laying a prediction card on a table then having the spectator merely "think" of a card, as a opposed to having them choose a card from the deck. They know we can force cards on them, but most will not suspect that we can force ideas into their mind. Even if they suspect that the suit was forced, they will be very aware of the fact that they had free choice of the value that they made in their own mind and not from a deck being controlled by the performer. I am a big believer that little subtleties like this can have a major impact.

My goal with this effect was to have a completely hands off ACAAN that had the most fair, and simple selection possible and could be done 100% of the time. I am happy with with how it has evolved to this point, however I am sure it has room for improvement. I have sent it to a few people and for all I know someone might send me an idea tonight that makes it 10X cleaner. So it's definitely still in an evolutionary process. I have no plans to ever release it unless it is the best it can be and I have road tested it thoroughly.

The woman in the video is a bit camera shy, but I can tell you that this has gotten some very big reactions. I have seen some very clever people really struggle with how it could have been done after the fact. One woman even swore that she felt something in the deck move. Of course I have no idea why, maybe I moved the table or something. So it really can be an impactful effect.

So again, thank you all for all the honest feedback, it already has been a big help.

Merry Christmas!!
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Oh... And yes you can use either deck immediately after for another effect. They are both full normal decks.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Brad,

Nice presentation. Could the method work with only one deck? I was simply curious. I do love the presentation––definitely an offbeat ACAAN. I'd be happy to help out if I can.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 01:55, ianchandler wrote:
Brad,

Nice presentation. Could the method work with only one deck? I was simply curious. I do love the presentation––definitely an offbeat ACAAN. I'd be happy to help out if I can.

Thank you!

This is a two deck trick, however the presentation is meant to hide that a bit. I would have to sacrifice some things in order to get it to a one deck trick, and to me the things I would have to sacrifice are more important than getting to use one deck. I do know a very clean one deck ACAAN, but the card is selected and not thought of and the deck is gaffed. You can see Lu Chen perform it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmmczOjbZ4 If you have spent some time with different gaffed decks then you could probably figure this one out. Smile

However, I have always wanted an ACAAN routine that used a completely normal deck of cards, was completely hands off, could be done 100% of the time, and had the fairest selection process possible. This was the closest method I could get to meeting those goals. Everyone has their own opinion of what aspects of the "Perfect ACAAN" are the most important and for me it's the points I mentioned above.

Over Christmas I did this trick for my Brother in Law who just earned his PHD. He is one of the most discerning people I know and has picked apart my tricks before. He was floored when I showed it to him, and I believe it was because of the above criteria. He knows I couldn't have messed with the cards because he was holding them the whole time, he believed that he had a free choice of a number between 1-52. He was a bit suspicious of the beginning of the card selection process but the free choice of the value dispelled that a little. He examined the cards a bit and in the end he was completely baffled. Had I touched the cards, or had the selection process involved selecting a card from a deck or a more convoluted process then it wouldn't have been nearly effective in my opinion.

Surprisingly he didn't even mention the fact that two decks were in play. He assumed that the deck he got was the one meant for him from the beginning. I would have thought for sure he would have said something about it,.. but he didn't. Smile

I have been tweaking it some, and will eventually create a new updated write up. Once that happens I'll send it out to a few more people.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 17:51, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 01:55, ianchandler wrote:
Brad,

Thank you!

This is a two deck trick, however the presentation is meant to hide that a bit. I would have to sacrifice some things in order to get it to a one deck trick, and to me the things I would have to sacrifice are more important than getting to use one deck. I do know a very clean one deck ACAAN, but the card is selected and not thought of and the deck is gaffed. You can see Lu Chen perform it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmmczOjbZ4 If you have spent some time with different gaffed decks then you could probably figure this one out. Smile

However, I have always wanted an ACAAN routine that used a completely normal deck of cards, was completely hands off, could be done 100% of the time, and had the fairest selection process possible. This was the closest method I could get to meeting those goals. Everyone has their own opinion of what aspects of the "Perfect ACAAN" are the most important and for me it's the points I mentioned above.

Over Christmas I did this trick for my Brother in Law who just earned his PHD. He is one of the most discerning people I know and has picked apart my tricks before. He was floored when I showed it to him, and I believe it was because of the above criteria. He knows I couldn't have messed with the cards because he was holding them the whole time, he believed that he had a free choice of a number between 1-52. He was a bit suspicious of the beginning of the card selection process but the free choice of the value dispelled that a little. He examined the cards a bit and in the end he was completely baffled. Had I touched the cards, or had the selection process involved selecting a card from a deck or a more convoluted process then it wouldn't have been nearly effective in my opinion.

Surprisingly he didn't even mention the fact that two decks were in play. He assumed that the deck he got was the one meant for him from the beginning. I would have thought for sure he would have said something about it,.. but he didn't. Smile

I have been tweaking it some, and will eventually create a new updated write up. Once that happens I'll send it out to a few more people.

I love it as a two deck routine. The wormhole plot is a nice, modern touch. It looks self-working as well, though I couldn't say for sure.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Thanks again Ian. Yeah it is self working. The only work you will have to do is in your head and it isn't much. You will never have to touch the deck they deal from and they won't have to alter the deck except for maybe taking out the jokers. The core method took some math work and thinking outside the box a little. But it works beautifully! ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Entanglement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL