The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Improving Coin Classic Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bentrick
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Bentrick
I've been doing magic tricks for a little over a year and I really feel as though my palming could be better! I feel as though my hands when they are classic palming are too stiff and not natural in a nice rested position.  I've  seen amateur coin magicians palm coins and their hand is looking naturally rested and their four fingers are straight and not bent or stiff making my them look suspicious.  I was wondering if I could get some professional help to improve my classic palming technique. This is something that I really want to improve because it is a part of the fundamentals of good coin magicperhaps am holding the coin too high up in my hand or my hand muscles are not as developed as much as they could be. Do you think you could share some tips and exercises to improve my coin classic palm. I basically would like to know how to make my hand look naturally rested and have my fingers virtually straight while classic palming. This would be greatly appeciated!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I second this. I think mine could be better as well.
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Me too!! Here's to hoping one of our classic pro's in the Café will comment with some advice.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6864 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Welcome to the Café, guys! Smile

Marion Boykin has a great exercise for the CP! Myself, I used to palm a half dollar in each hand and keep it there, doing my regular tasks with the coins palmed. Driving, using the phone, cooking. That said, I feel there is too much emphasis on the CP. It's a tool to get you from here to there.

My CP is not that great. I get by. I don't focus on it. It's not there long enough to worry about. My coin routines are such that by the time they are suspicious, the coin is long gone. The routine is more important. In fact, I rarely CP any more. But, try the method Marion suggests. He'll be right along...

Doug
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
CP a coin in each hand and then practice picking up an ashtray. an ashtray has quite a circumference and requires you to open your hand quite a bit. if you can comfortably hold the coin through this then you are well on your way to perfecting the palm. I agree with Dough, palm the coins and then go about your normal daily activity. I remember back when I was learning, I would cp two coins and then keep them there the whole day at school. Never learned much at school though, too much focus on the magic. ha ha.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I'd love to help, but I've never been able to classic palm a coin. so I just use other means and sleights to accomplish what needs to be done.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6864 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 06:45, magic4children wrote:
I agree with Dough, palm the coins and then go about your normal daily activity.

Dough? I've been called many things...LOL! Maybe this is a hint that I need to lose a bit of weight...

Doug
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Have you checked coinvanish.com? It has brilliant advice on this. The fingers don't need to be straight - fingers are naturally curled anyway. Check yours right now and I'll bet they're not straight! Smile Anyway, that website really really helped mine, so check it out.
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Thanks for the tip on the website David. I went over to it and will be spending some time in practice as a result.
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
" Dough? I've been called many things...LOL! Maybe this is a hint that I need to lose a bit of weight... "

Oops sorry Doug, my dyslexia is flaring up again.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well...IMHO, the CP is just a bit "over rated". I use a THMB PLM a lot more often. Ditto, a FNGR PLM.! When I was 16, I mastered the DOWNS, w/both hands. Then, I realize that the FNGR PLM was just as effective. Hey~I could do the coin roll with 4 coins simultaneously, and the Five coin star with both hands, simultaneously. Magicians would sigh. The
laymen said, 'That's nice."

Again IMHO, the "classic" writers (Camille Gautier, et al, placed way too much emphasis on the importance of the CP.

Some years ago, a British magician's act involved back plming about a dozen coins. Magicians were in ecstasy! "Look how well he hides those coins!!!" I'm told on good authority that he had to almost BEG to get on the bill for public shows. (He wasn't that entertaining!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
"Well...IMHO, the CP is just a bit "over rated". I use a THMB PLM a lot more often. Ditto, a FNGR PLM.! "

Agree 100%. I spent years working on CP and now mostly use finger palm. Some guy name John Carney (I think a pretty good reference!) mentioned something in a lecture that led me to this. Finger palm looks natural when holding out, even for long periods. I still use CP, but only for a few a seconds at a time, then back to some more natural position.

Also, this guy Oslund seems to know a thing of two, you might want to listen him ... Smile he must have done a show or two. (Thousand?, 10 thousand?)

Hudson
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I think it depends on hand shape, type of trick and audience position as to which is better. For me, I hate finger palm as I have massive gaps in my fingers and have to be very careful when handling other coins that I don't flash. If I twirl a coin at the finger tips, I have to keep my hand above chest level to avoid flashing between my fingers. In contrast, with CP I can twirl coins completely at ease, flip a coin, do a coin roll, vanish another coin etc all while holding out a coin. I can also do this pretty much surrounded and am able to interact with audience members with that hand too, eg hold their wrist to get their hand in position. So for close up work, I really think CP trumps the finger palm. For larger audiences without people behind, then finger palm is better as you can keep your hands higher and show them empty.

I think I probably use a combination of the two for 95% of my magic and it's a pretty even split. Really try to learn it. If it doesn't work out, maybe it isn't for you, but don't avoid it just for the reason it is hard. Every one of my close up routines uses CP and would not be as effective with an alternative concealment. They both have advantages and both should be used if it will improve the handling of the routine.

I'm not as experienced as these other guys, but remember a lot of the coin greats like David Roth swear by it and they are very selective in the choice of sleights they use. Give it a try and I'm sure you'll find a myriad of uses for it.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
1. Try different coin sizes.
2. Try different positions
3. Try a lighter touch, enough to hold and say roll another
Coin on the fingers.. And then release the one in classic
With a little relaxation.
4. You will learn it if you;
A. Have desire/motivation
B. correct information
C. Time to put out effort and get feedback from self or
Others

5. Teach others what you learn
6.consider temperature moisture aging can influence
Our magic and what is important to us
7. C palming 5 was more important than learning
To throw a perfect spiral pass.
Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
Small piece of advise when classic palming, gently touch your first finder and thumb together. Many times your thumb will shoot straight out to the side when you're locking in a classic palm, it's this weird tell that we develop. Touching your first finger and thumb together in almost a casual "OK" gesture will eliminate that. As a substitution pick up a narrow bodied pen, like a common bic pen, hold it between first finger and thumb, either as you would to write or as you would a wand and palm around that.
Hope that helps.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
It's the little things like what you mentioned that make a big difference.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Improving Coin Classic Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL