The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney Ladder Levitation in a theatre? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shadowmaster
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shadowmaster
I am a UK user. I am having a performance in Shaw Theatre (so excited) in mid February.
Since my act is about levitation, I am thinking of adding Blaney ladder levitation into my act.

This is the photo of the theatre.

http://www.shaw-theatre.com/index.php?id=4 .

Is Blaney ladder levitation suitable for this theatre in terms of angle restriction? Thank you!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Looks like a great venue. The angles look good for magic.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Side angles and the highest seats are always a problem. play upstage and close main curtains untill they restrict side angles to solve both these problems
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
High seat are going to be the biggest problem. You will find if you kick the side of base opposite the gaff about 6", it will cover a bunch of the side angles. I can't remember if it is upstage or dowstage right now . My mind is not thinking clearly right now. I think it is downstage. Playing upstage is a must.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 09:26, hugmagic wrote:
High seat are going to be the biggest problem. You will find if you kick the side of base opposite the gaff about 6", it will cover a bunch of the side angles. I can't remember if it is upstage or dowstage right now . My mind is not thinking clearly right now. I think it is downstage. Playing upstage is a must.
Richard

Yeah, you got it right; Kick the opposite-gaff-side downstage a bit (toward the audience).
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Just could not remember for the life of me. The more I thought it about it more I was getting reversed.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
shadowmaster
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shadowmaster
Thanks for the help from you guys. But I am a bit confused since jaynet said that I should play upstage whereas T. Durden said I need to 'kick the opposite-gaff-side downstage a bit (toward the audience)'.
But in essence, this stage is good for this illusion, right? If so, I am ordering it as soon as possible.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 19:58, shadowmaster wrote:
Thanks for the help from you guys. But I am a bit confused since jaynet said that I should play upstage whereas T. Durden said I need to 'kick the opposite-gaff-side downstage a bit (toward the audience)'.
But in essence, this stage is good for this illusion, right? If so, I am ordering it as soon as possible.

I have performed in this theater and it should work fine.
Make sure you get a genuine Blaney levitation as the copy's are not only badly build they also have many other issue's...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes you can certainly play it here. You work upstage to cover the high sight lines and kick the edge to lessen the side sight lines.

Absolutely be sure to get the original. And build the illusion in front of the audience that is a great part of the strength of the illusion.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I also tend to move the legs in 6 feet or so in wider theatres.

I rarely use the full width. Something like SilverChair is the only time I use the full width when I have it, otherwise see if they'll move the legs in for you and it'll cut the side angles without looking like an attempt to do so

I've also used set pieces like giant crates that are stacked on either side of the pros to cut the width down.

Depending on how deep the stage is, moving upstage usually solves it. You can also turn the hazer on and heavily top light it and they gimmick probably won't even be seen, even if it is in view.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, the set pieces is another good dodge to use.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
We both toured with the illusion and saw Lance Burton perform it. The audience side away from the
gimmick is the most likely to be exposed especially if the theatre has wide seating. As well those looking
down from a highly raked (angled) audience may also see the gimmick. So I and everyone else always played the illusion far upstage.
We did not angle the illusion toward the upstage on the side away from the gimmick as this would angle the board and the girl and look awkward.
Always try to make the illusion look like it is being performed as if it were real magic (if possible).
We did close the main curtains for the whole show to hide shinbuster lights, fog machines and to provide extra storage for illusions.
This meant the curtain restricted the side viewing and helped hide the gimmick without looking suspicious by doing it for just
one illusion. As well if you use someone from the audience and they have long hair make sure it is not in the gimmick before
you put the stool back up after you have floated the girl. We always had the girl lay sideways one leg on top of the other and head on the lower hand.
I would always joke that this was the diva position. It hid the gimmick better and helped prevent the hair being caught.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
On an illusion like ladders, is it better to place it downstage so that the illusion look the best for 99 percent of the audience, even though a small amount of people may see the gimmick?
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The volunteer's body should cover everything. I remember working with Walter on the S.S. Norway years ago which had very high sight lines and nothing could be seen.
You could also contact Walter directly with the photo you've attached of the venue and he'll be happy to tell you his thoughts. walter@walterblaney.com
Good luck!
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
I PM"d Shadowmaster to let him know I have a brand new Blaney Ladder Levitation and Miracle Hoop for sale since he indicated he was getting ready to order it. He let me know he is actually renting one from a magic shop in Hong Kong. Does anyone know of a shop where you can rent a real Ladder Levitation? Shaadowmaster can you shed some light on this? Thanks!

@David Thomas, I would not let people see the gimmick, Copperfield plays it as upstage as it needs to be so the gimmick is not shown and it still looks great. Depending on the sight lines, your assistant does not cover everything.

Mike
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 09:00, Mike Thornton wrote:
...He let me know he is actually renting one from a magic shop in Hong Kong. Does anyone know of a shop where you can rent a real Ladder Levitation?

Uh oh.
:wow:
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I doubt very much that Walter would authorize someone to act as a rental agent for the prop.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree. I smell a knock off.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I wanted to bring this thread back as it already has some really excellent advice and thoughts regarding peformance of the Blaney Ladder. I am in the process of building a small stage show and I'm very much hoping to add the Ladder to the show soon. Hoping to find one used eventually but until then researching it and other suspensions (Harbin Chair, Steinmeyers "Paranormal" etc.).

Anyone who has performed this regularly care to offer more thoughts / experiences?
Watermitty
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Watermitty
Angles are not great on this one imo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney Ladder Levitation in a theatre? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL