We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » EMC Essential Magic Conference 2010 vs 2011 vs 2012 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
EMC DVD's have gotten excellent reviews every year from what I can tell, but each years collection is a hefty investment at $150 each. I initially can only afford to buy one set at this time, and therefore wanted some constructive feedback from Café members regarding which years collection they feel is the best overall in their opinion? Perhaps you can rank each years collections from best to less based on your favorites. Thanks!

- Gary
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Tough question as the sets are varied, almost to a fault. If you're more interested in one aspect of magic than others, each set will have something for you but then other content you're less into. Speaking very generally, I'd say the first and last ('10 and '12) are better than the middle ('11). The last one has the most star power -- David Blaine, Teller, Paul Harris, Yann Frisch, and even Dynamo -- and a great "we're doing this for the last time vibe" But the first has some really excellent presentations, including Guy Hollingsworth's, Gene Matsura's, David Britland's, Helder Guimares's. I think one reason I'm very fond of the first is because it was the first time I saw Dani D'Ortiz, and I was blown away by his presentation. The tricks he performed have since been included in his lecture, his DVD and in his Genii magazine column. So, you may have already seen them. That's the case by now with many of the presenters, so the best thing is to go back and search reviews, here and elsewhere, and see whether the specific content is new to you.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Odd that I never see any reviews for these, most probably don't want theory/presentation/talks videos but I love them and may get them all one day. Seems pricey for the quality.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
2011 is in Penguin Cool Box today.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
151 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
It's worth keeping your eyes open in the DVD for sale area. I was able to get 2012 and 2011 for pretty reasonable prices and makes them easier to acquire.

They are very interesting for picking up some theory, seeing interesting performers you might not normally see, and having a source that you can be immersed into the magic.

Andrew
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
All 3 comments are ironic. The last 2 because I snatched up the 2011 set yesterday through Penguin, and also got a bargain price on the 2012 set brand new in the Café yesterday. The 3rd irony is that bugjack ranked the 2010 set as best, and as luck would have it, that is now the only set I still don't own.

Time to save up some more money! Smile

Thanks for all the input everyone.

- Gary
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Gary, you'll love them. The great thing about these DVDs is that they inspire thought. They continue their value long after your TV is turned off.

You're going to love them!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
151 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Gary, let the games begin; I'm still missing 2010 as well!

Andrew
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
2011 is the best one. Best speakers, best material, best value.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
151 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
I've completed my set, now. Thanks Gary!
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Which one is the best do you reckon? I think 2011.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
151 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
I haven't fully made it through 2011 (just a bit left) and haven't started 2010 yet.

I will report back though once I'm through them all!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » EMC Essential Magic Conference 2010 vs 2011 vs 2012 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL