The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Presentation for Decision (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Consider these two presentations of Decision by Mozique that I've came across.

1) You ask a spectator to correctly guess which card you're putting down, four times in a row, even putting some money to stake in the last two rounds. He fails every time [much like the routine Derren Brown showed Stephen Merchant].

2) You ask a spectator to help you in an experiment to test whether he has got any psychic powers or not. Ask him to correctly catch thought waves from you, deduce which card you put on the table, and reveal it. He succesfully does this three out of four times, just guessing wrong in the third round. You say that the responsibility of his mistake lies solely with you, since you failed to transmit the thought to him properly. You then open a folded paper lying in full view all the time, where it's clearly written 1) right 2) right 3) wrong 4) right.

Which one according to you is a better routine ? In other words, I'd like to know the merits and demerits of these two routines in your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
I've always enjoyed number 2.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Why ?
Best,

-Avik
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
It just feels better!
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Better to you or the spectator? Smile
Best,

-Avik
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
John should get to the bottom of it for you Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 17:17, Sean Giles wrote:
John should get to the bottom of it for you Smile

Now we're talkin Sean!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Routine One sounds horrible. Might not be in performance, but from your description I have no interest in seeing the performance.

Routine Two is less horrible. I don't particularly like it, but it is a vast improvement on one.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
So how this can be presented so that it won't contain any horrible element at all ?
Best,

-Avik
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Demitri
The problem with presentation one,is that it comes off as a challenge - as well as an "I'm so clever, watch me get one over on you, four times in a row". You're pretty much inviting your spectator (and anyone watching) to become competitors, rather than willing participants. Handled poorly (something NOT done in the Derren effect you mentioned), you're making yourself look smug. It's one thing to BE clever... It's something else to tell people you are.

The second effect lessens this potential problem - but the ending has the potential to destroy the entire thing. You begin by saying this is all about them, and their abilities, but then finish with a prediction. What starts as a demonstration of connecting two minds, becomes all about you predicting or controlling decisions. It's murky...

In order to present the first option, you need to work your presentation very carefully. You need to remove the challenge or show off factor. I you don't get rid of that, it's just you showing just how great you are... Which is A bad way to present yourself. The second has potential, but you need to be clear about what the effect is really all about.
Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
I vote for routine 2. Spectators are people, and no one likes getting the "losing" feeling. Routine one makes the spectator feel like losing. however I have great success with routine 1 performing to close friends-just close friends, to convince them I have special powers. Challenges lets you have fun with friends, but not suited in casual performances.
Speaking of Derren Brown, I saw him perform in his "infamous" show where there is an effect where a spec did "lose", after the performance he thanks the guy by saying "thank you for being a great sport...." Which I think he handles the challenging situation quite well. If you perform routine1 it would be a difficult task. In fact, the truth is I attempted to perform routine 1 once - believe it or not it was one of the worst performance I did~ that is why I strongly recommend routine 2...
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
465 Posts

Profile of Ross
Avik_d

I like version 2, but without the "prediction" ending. With that ending it sends mixed messages. Are you trying to demonstrate the participant's psychic/intuitive ability (which is what the first phase shows), or your powers of influence or precognition (which is what the kicker shows)? Unless you frame that ending not as a prediction, and more of a verification that you had planned all along to not send the 3rd one correctly, but even then, it muddies an already good effect.

Festive regards,

Ross
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
There seems to be a strong consensus here. Tear up presentation one and never think about it again.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I like presentation 1 especially if I get to keep all the money.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
What you have is a routine or framework. You need to work your presentation around it and that's where you'll find whether it's entertaining or not.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 08:02, TonyB2009 wrote:
There seems to be a strong consensus here. Tear up presentation one and never think about it again.

Happy New year Tony lol
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks for the comments guys. So I got confirmed what I felt so long. Truly, Routine 1 is not going to impress any audience, rather it has got every potential to make the subject Anti-You.

However to add a little thing here, I've got great success with the second routine, because I added a few subtleties in it, whereby the interest of the subject is maintained till the very end. I will try to improve that routine further, and thanks again for all of your comments. Keep them coming !! Cheers, and a very happy new year in advance !!

- Avik.
Best,

-Avik
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Before we throw out the baby with the bath water . . .

For both routines what Sean Giles said is very true: "What you have is a routine or framework. You need to work your presentation around it and that's where you'll find whether it's entertaining or not."

Routine one suffers more from the fact that it does not have an ending more than the spectator gets 4 wrong. The second routine has a natural ending with the prediction. It is difficult to weight the merits of two stark naked routines like this because you have included no presentation. That is were the real secret will lie.

Most mentalists will look at these routines through the eyes of the default mentalism persona. (I'm super cool and impressive, now worship me. Oh, and I'm also wearing black, have a goatee, a cat, and know your every thought) This of course does not help in endearing the audience to you.

What if you had a story that made this interesting? and the payoff to the trick was the completion of the story.

Years ago, I was traveling in Ireland. At the end of a sightseeing day, I had positioned myself at the end of the bar in a quaint pub. It was a very old place, all wood and beautifully carved, you could smell the history around you. I had put away more than my fair share of pints of Guinness. I signaled the barkeep for my bill. I reached into my pocket for my wallet when I realized, I had left it at the Hotel.

The large bar keeper loomed in front of me. He was an ex-rugby player whose facial features told me he had spent way too much time in the scrum. "Thirty two Quid", he bellowed. I explained that I had left my wallet in my hotel room. Like a trumpet signally the arrival of the Queen he yelled, "We have a slacker here, trying to scam some Guinness."

Suddenly, I was surrounded by large sweaty bodies. "Really, I left my wallet in my room." I pleaded.

"I can't trust that you'll come back to pay your bill, so how abouts we play a little game, called double or death."

It didn't look like I had much of a choice.

He explained the game. "I have a packet of cards here. You take two out. Show me both. Place on in front of me face down. If I guess it wrong you win and the bill is on me. But if I guess it right, We strip you naked and throw you out into the street." The crowd cheered and somewhere in the mass someone said, "And if we catch the Yankee cheating we'll tear off his legs and use them for Golf Clubs."

Fifty-fifty odds, I thought. Not bad. But suddenly . . .

"and you have to do it four times in a row." he added.

"That doesn't seem fair." I countered.

"I didn't leave my wallet in my hotel." he sneered.

The pack of cards was thrown onto the bar. I opened them up and took out two. An Ace and a five. "Aces are my favorite card" I explained. "I always think they bring me luck." I mixed the two cards in my hands and placed one on the table face down. "Your turn to guess" I said.

"A five" his voice echoed throughout the room as his hand slapped down on the table and turned over an ace. The crowd booed.

"I know, bummer. I'm sorry but I used a little psychology on you. You see, when you heard me say that aces were my favorite card, you assumed that I would never offer you my favorite card." That's how I won this one.

The large man laughed. "Clever and lucky. Let's see how you do with round 2" He smiled.

I knew I would have to use all my cunning to win these next rounds and I already had an idea for round two . . . .

SO you see where this is going. The idea here is it is no longer about the spectator losing to the performer, but a story that is told where the spectator gets to play as one of the characters in the narrative. Many times the spectator begin enjoying taking in a funny voice or saying funny things. It is not longer about them losing but about where is this story going and how will it end.

So there you have it, I have made my case for Selection One.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Masterful advice by a great working pro. So nice when you pop in.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1585 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Yes, never good to try & "scam" any Guinness. Very disrespectful! lol

Nice story, but I doubt the trumpets were calling for the Queen!

On a serious note though, story building is what it is all about.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Presentation for Decision (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL