The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Owen House of Java and pop rivets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I'm in the process of refinishing an Owen House of Java, and notice the hinges have been attached with rivets instead of screws, much like a lot of Mak Magic props.

I'm curious if anyone knows if Owen Magic has ever used pop rivets instead of wood screws - seems a little bit odd for them to take a shortcut like that.

Thanks,

Ron
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Ron,
I just looked at my Owen House of Java and ..no rivets.
It is possible that someone replaced the original brass screws with rivets.
Might be best to verify that it is an Owen by comparing to online pics.

For the record, Rivets are not a bad thing.
Installing them improper and using them on improper materials is bad.
Remember, AIRPLANES are assembled with rivets Smile
Mak tended to use them on masonite WITHOUT using a WASHER to the backside of the material.
Needless to say, the rivet quickly worked loose from the board and fails.
If Mak simply put a washer to the backside of each rivet...they would have lasted for a LONG time.
But I guess they felt it was worth saving a collective of 5 cents per prop..unreal.
Unfortunately, Mak gave rivets a bad name by these practices.

I use rivets quite often in my shop however they way the are used and in what materials and proper washer assembly makes them a big time saver and solid as a rock.
Hope this helps!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I am unfamiliar with what Owen has done, but pop rivets are often used on hinged parts that tend to be under a lot of stress through use, especially when the hinges are attached to thin material, or when the hinged part can easily be opened to a point that the hinge is put under abusive force. Screws will pull loose a lot faster than rivets.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
They didn't use rivets
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, Chance, Michael, and Jay. The previous owner had repainted it, but when I stripped off the paint, the original yellow, red, and blue could be seen. I'm pretty sure it's an Owen item because of the colors, and the quality of materials...it really is beautifully made. I agree with you, Chance. Mak has given rivets a bad name.

The rivets were used to attach the plywood doors, but wood screws were used on the pitch of the roof, which is made of oak.

I bent up the hinges when I took them off, but found perfect matches from Rockler, so I'm real happy about that. The weather here in Phoenix has been in the low 70's so I've been able to paint every day.

Thanks again for the insight.

Ron
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm with Chance and Michael on this. I use tons of rivets (well maybe pounds) on props I build. Especially on hinges. If used properly e.g. proper length, type, and backer washers they work great.
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
MAK did indeed offer a version of this in yellow/red/blue. To my knowledge,it was made abroad and quite nice. Owen did make this in yellow/red/blue but in the past years (about 15 at least), changed to red/gold/black with metallic green top doors. I've never seen a rivet on any Owen prop but agree with Chance.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, Cliff and Eldon. Maybe I have a Mak version - quite nice, but not Owen (and I paid for an Owen model...ha!)

Ron
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Most Owen props have their name hallmarked on the prop.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Ron,
Feel free to send me a hi res detailed pic if you cannot find the hallmark.
I will be happy to identify it for you.
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, Mike and Chance. There is no Owen Hallmark, but there is a "39" stamped into the wood. It's only on the bottom side of the load chamber.

I've looked at different photos of Owen Houses of Java. Mine does not have the little ledge/perch underneath the large hole on each side, and all the Owen models do have the perch.

Chance,

I will take you up on you offer as soon as possible; parts are drying from primer right now. Thanks so much.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Owen House of Java and pop rivets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL