The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dealing with frustration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I've noticed that at times magic can be as frustrating as rewarding. Some of the things I've recently got frustrated with:

Working on an effect, only to discover that it doesn't really work as intended and that the hours I spent in thought and prop production probably were useless.

Buying something that doesn't really work as well as you hoped.

Finding it really difficult to master a move or sleight: especially when others talk about how quickly or easily they picked it up.

Having a nice selection of effects that work well on their own - but don't really gel together well at all (like sponge balls with mentalism).

Finding that your 'funny' patter isn't.

Urg! Oh well ...
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
First of all, don't be too hard on yourself. Not everything you try will work out for you. Some effects you purchase will be sheer junk (great advertising); some moves and sleights take years to master, and even then, some people will never get them.

Work with what works for you. When I first got into magic my mentor introduced me to a TT and we did countless hours of work putting routines together. This simple tool was used over and over again and did not cost very much money. Don't compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to the entertainment value your audience perceives. Work on the strong points and develop them further. Only then should you try something else. Soon you will be changing your name from Terrible Wizard to Wonderful Wizard.

Have your self a very Happy New Year and don't give up on yourself.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers for the encouragement Ray Smile. Have a great New Year too.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Ray gives good advice. I'd add this: those frustrations can be better managed if taken as lessons instead. Your line isn't as funny as you thought? Great! Now you have a better understanding of what's funny. You bought some crap magic by mistake? Great! Now you have an idea of what not to do.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Keep at it! The time and soul you put towards anything pays off in some way shape or form. That's always been true in the world I know and live in!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
In time thing's will come togeather.
It take's time to learn a sleight if
it were easy everyone would be doing it.
But when it come's togeather there's a
wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
As you perform more and more you will learn what work's
well with another effect.So it will all flow togeather.
And lastly read the review's here at the café before you
dive in and buy a effect because they make it sound like
the best thing since sliced bread.
todd
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Magic, like life has it's ups and downs. so far (30 plus years). I have been motivated to keep learning.

Even great bits fall short at unexpected times. A mix off taking it seriously and myself lightly works.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
C_Biskit
View Profile
New user
United States
82 Posts

Profile of C_Biskit
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 06:21, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I've noticed that at times magic can be as frustrating as rewarding. Some of the things I've recently got frustrated with:

Working on an effect, only to discover that it doesn't really work as intended and that the hours I spent in thought and prop production probably were useless.

Buying something that doesn't really work as well as you hoped.

I like the quote by (I believe) Ben Franklin that is something along the lines of this - "I never failed at creating the light bulb, I just found 1,000 ways not to do it." The time you spend doing something you love, even if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, is still spending time doing something you love and you shouldn't be ashamed or upset at that fact.
Quote:
Finding it really difficult to master a move or sleight: especially when others talk about how quickly or easily they picked it up.

Some people pick up things faster than others, and although it might be upsetting, I am sure you picked up doing a different move quicker than them. Smile
Quote:
Having a nice selection of effects that work well on their own - but don't really gel together well at all (like sponge balls with mentalism).

I don't believe that this is true, you just have to find a way to link them all together. EX. you could turn the sponge balls into a mentalism routine by just adding patter about how they can split the balls with their mind or something like that.
Quote:
Finding that your 'funny' patter isn't.

Urg! Oh well ...

and that 'funny parts of your routine could have just not been right for that group of people (since everyone's humor is different). You just have to stay positive and if the material isn't funny to another group or two, maybe the delivery needs work or maybe you need to create some new patter.

Stay positive!

Andy
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I don't mean to be critical but it was Thomas Edison who found 1.000 ways to not create the light bulb.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
C_Biskit
View Profile
New user
United States
82 Posts

Profile of C_Biskit
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 21:39, Ray Bertrand wrote:
I don't mean to be critical but it was Thomas Edison who found 1.000 ways to not create the light bulb.

Ray

Yes! That is my fault, a little bit embarrassed. derp.

Andy
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
...and months, or years down the line you may
Find things come differently to you.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yeah, it'll be educational in the long term Smile. Thanks for the support. Another frustration I'm experiencing at the moment is overload - you know it doesn't take long, or much (a few DVDs and books), before you find yourself with far more tricks and ideas than can processed or performed. I feel somewhat adrift - how to consolidate what I've already learned into something more manageable and usable. It's easy to say just concentrate on what works best, or the effects that are strongest, but lots are strong, many are effective - how to choose!

Sometimes I feel like a kid with too many flavours of ice-cream to choose from ... But my poor stomach can only take so much before getting sick.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I write down all the tricks that I want to pursue working on, and then I pick a maximum of 3, but all from different areas of magic. (some people say just one, but I just find that impossible to do! Smile)
So I'm working on a coin, card and rope routine at the moment. I then prioritise them in an order, so coins are my first one as I can practise those all the time, followed by rope, then cards. Keeps it much more manageable and there's less remorse about the other tricks you're not currently doing as you know you'll remember to do them in the future.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
As someone with CDO and ADHD (attention deficit husband disorder),I can relate.
Notebook, or MS word documents can help. So can small cases with props for one effect or routine. They have for me.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
You may find seeing a piece of magic performed live, will help you find more quality effects.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Play and actual sharing will teach you a lot. Listen to your inner
Wizard and audiences. As above watching others is helpful. This includes magicians and other entertainers.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dealing with frustration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL