The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks that tell a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
martinjmac497
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of martinjmac497
I enjoy close-up tricks that tell a story and am looking for new ideas. I know a lot of magicians don't like them, but what are the best or your favorite close-up tricks that tell a story. (Not limited to card tricks)
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Stories can be added to any close-up trick to make them better. I'd challenge you to come up with some. For some ideas, check out Vegas Visit by Josh Jay, Horizon Aces in the East Meets West download, and the Miser's Dream.
martinjmac497
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of martinjmac497
Ian,
Thanks for the examples. Vegas Visit is great and is something I haven't seen before. Usually I take the premise of the stories and change the characters, locations, ect. to fit it into my routine.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
That's a great way to do it. Sam the Bellhop usually challenges your narrative skills, too, and is a fun experiment.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Gypsy Thread
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Torn & Restored Cigarette Paper.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
All of them.

Well, maybe not always a full "story." But every piece of magic should point beyond itself to something else. It needs at least a premise. Otherwise, it's not magic--it's just a trick.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Kate & Edith
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might want to check out my Magician Vs. Gambler.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Marc DeSouza has an excellent DVD of story magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
When I was going through High School Bob Longe books where my treasure trove in the day, beginner level but the tricks diverse enough not be the run of the mill beginner tricks that everyone was doing.

One that sticks out in my mind was a trick called “Murder” out Bob’s book “World’s Best Card Tricks”. The theme was a wealthy lady in a mansion gets murdered and the cops surround the building cornering in all suspects and through a process of elimination find the murderer which turns out to be quite the surprise.

Nice trick and easy to do.

Magically

Aus
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wanna tell story magic? This book will inspire you not only to write fantastic stories, it can change the way you do, and view Magic! This $35 tome will give you the tools to really PERFORM, with YOUR tales of Enchantment!

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/tales_of_enchantment.htm

Doug
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Ariel Frailich has a cook called Card Stories

Brain Food by David Parr
– Karl Germain
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I feel that telling stories as we do magic is a very strong thing we can do. I think ther are few things to bare in mind. The story has to be interesting - To you as the teller as much as them to the listener. This is obvious yet so many get it wrong. You have many great stories. don't use other people stories it seem to dilute. Also I have heard people go when I was in Africa and at the end you say were in Africa was you and they say I just say that for that effect. I know we can play charters and that's OK but there is a line.

I would start looking around at stories that interest you and work from there. If it can be your own story or your way of explain something it going to be strong. In my note books are stories with out effect and effects with out stories. But slowly the ides form.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Telling a story well can take as much practice as your magic effect. The reason why many magicians do not like story-telling, methinks, is that they are unwilling to put in the effort to do it well. You can't just add some words to a magic effect and expect it to enhance the effect any more than changing the color of your pocket handkerchief or buying an expensive wand. They may make it "different" but not "better."

Start by telling stories out-loud whenever possible. Go to hospitals and the park -- and tell stories. Learn to create magic with intonation, volume and gestures. Then add a magic trick.

Also, magic may be used to enhance a story as well as the other way around (as in Gospel Magic). A story may give relevance or framing to an effect without accompanying it. You can tell about a magic effect you have seen and recreate the awe and wonder without any prop. Remember - the magic impact you desire resides withing the spectator and not you. You can kindle it and nurture it. A story can serve you well -- if properly done.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Thank you Doug for adding my book to this thread. I am very proud of the impact it has made on magicians and their thoughts about the magic they do in a theatrical context! Magically, Walt

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/aaa_n......ales.htm
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My pleasure Walt! Smile

Ya know, I wonder if anyone even considers my advice here. I kill a LOT of threads. Or, I'm just ignored. No matter. After forty years of this, I do know a few things, LOL! I only WISH I had “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic” by Walt Anthony when I first started in 1971!

I would not have made the mistakes I made! Naturally, when I see, "Best Tricks That Tell A Story", I wanna tell everyone that EVERY effect has a story! How creative ARE you? And are you a MAGICIAN or a trickster? Showing tricks like they are puzzles to solve? Or taking your victi...er, spectator on an Enchanted Journey, "down the rabbit hole", so to speak?

It goes from "How did you DO that?" to, "Oh, wow! That was like real MAGIC!" Well, “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”, by Walt Anthony is the book you want. It shows you, for example, how to take a tacky, intelligence-insulting trick like the Sliding Die Box, and turn it into The Wizard's Herb Chest, along with an appropriate tale.

That effect is TOTALLY transformed! Today, even my Cups & Balls effect has a story! Really think about WHY you are doing what you do. Why does the ball vanish or change color? Why does the ball FLOAT? What Wizardry is going on around us that makes this stuff happen? What Alien presence is causing this? The government knows more than it's telling...etc.

Guys and gals...please. Make up a story for your magic effects! Get “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”, by Walt Anthony and let him show you just HOW to do that! $35 is not a lot of cash, compared to some of the lame effects I see out there. Good Magic to you all! Smile

Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Ha! You must have inherited my magic and heraldic title. I went from Sir Walt the Dragon Slayer to Sir Walt the Thread Killer when I joined the Café long ago…
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah, LOL! I know what ya mean. Maybe folks are being polite. They really disagree but won't post it. I really pushed in one post and I got a reply that not every effect needs a story. Or it bogs it all down. People want FAST. In and out, over and done. That's not how I roll.

I guess I'm Old School in more ways than one. You want to see Magic? Then let me SHOW you Magic! You want a quick trick? A puzzle they'll want to solve? Fine. Not from me. I don't DO "tricks"! I play the role of the Wizard! Imagine Merlin being asked to show a "trick"! He'd say:

."F--k You! I'm MERLIN! I do MAGIC!"

Doug
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
Color Monte is a great story-telling effect.

And I agree with those who say that many tricks can be enhanced with a great story. I have had great success with a multi-coin copper silver effect in which the half dollars are men, the English pennies ladies.

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks that tell a story (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL