The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Farewell Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Here is a clip of my 45 min comedy club act. It was the last show I played in ohio before my move to nyc. Note:There is foul language and adult themes. https://vimeo.com/82497573 the password is cuptrick.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Im glad it was free.
yikes
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1244 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Hahaha! Loved it xD

- Feras
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1683 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Fun show 👍
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I got queasy in the stomach watching the show. I'd be terrified to invite so much audience interaction and depend on my ability to ad lib.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2319 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Not bad! My advice to anyone who thinks they can do this... Work for a year (at least) in the comedy clubs.

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
My primary criticism is your use of standard "funny" lines and bits, apparently without knowing what makes them funny. This is a formula doomed to fail in any "real" performance venue.

For example, you do something sort of flourish-like, and then bitterly comment "That was x years of my life". This bit can be funny, but only if done correctly - 1) performer does something silently that obviously takes some skill and is WORTHY OF APPLAUSE after he finishes and gives a silent applause cue; 2) the audience realizes what he did was worthy of applause and responds appropriately; 3) performer allows applause to die down, waits one more beat, then deadpan comments: "Thanks. THAT was x years of my life".

Your use of it was kind of okay the first time, but then you kept repeating it throughout and all subsequent times you missed point 1 (did nothing worthy of applause), and 2 (audience wasn't impressed and didn't applaud much). Your failure to understand why the bit is funny leads you to not set it up correctly, and then you beat it to death through overuse.

If you want to do "comedy magic" you need to hang out and session with COMEDIANS, not just try to take bits other comedy magicians use and try to wedge them into your act. What makes it funny for them will not guarantee it's funny for you unless you understand what makes it funny AND it fits your character.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Magicatcher,

I've spent the last few years of my life just doing comedy magic. From your comments it is clear u've never worked a comedy club. Incidently, if you did hang w comics u'd know they don't session. They drink.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Magicwatcher*
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Oh... my bad, Donnie.

Everything you do is clever, original, and extremely professional. You don't need any help at all, you're very, VERY funny, your comedic timing is impeccable, and clearly you have a bright future in comedy. Just keep doing exactly what you're doing and you'll be in constant high demand for all the free shows you can handle.

There, screw the truth - that's obviously what you wanted to hear instead.

However, shortly after college I shared a large house with several professional and semi-professional comedians, and I can tell you for a fact THEY "sessioned"... with other comics they respected - so maybe they just don't care to session with YOU.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Is your hour long show (as described by both the MC and yourself) deliberately 41 minutes long or has 19 minutes been edited out?

:)
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Micknz,

Ha! I put this show up because it was a very sentimental endeavor. The venue was a place I hadn't worked in sometime because the money was not great. However, it was one of the earliest venues I had worked in. So, I worked with the owner to put together a free farewell show before my move. It was a way to say thanks. Consequently, the show was very fluid, I didn't feel like doing an hour despite that being the plan, so I didn't.

Magicwatcher,
Do you have any performance vids, other than the ones of you in your mother's basement in front of stuffed animals?
On a serious note, you do seem like a very sad person. If you have some emotional problems and me mocking you exacerbates them I apologize.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-30 06:55,

Magicwatcher,
Do you have any performance vids, other than the ones of you in your mother's basement in front of stuffed animals?
On a serious note, you do seem like a very sad person. If you have some emotional problems and me mocking you exacerbates them I apologize.

Thanks for that. In turn, you seem like someone who is incapable of considering sincere criticism, and only wants to hear praise from people who think your performances are excellent just the way they are - which means you will never learn to be any better than you are right now. But maybe someday you'll realize that you can only REALLY learn from a critic who DOESN'T agree with your performance decisions; and believing you have nothing more to learn is the fast track to oblivion. Enjoy it down there.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Hack work does get one work at some levels.
Mostly used by mc's and openers. I love real improv and bits that seem off the cuff, though used hundreds or thousands of times.

Yes I have worked clubs and improv troupes as well as theatre
Venues.

Enjoy N.Y., and your audiences

Harris
Still too old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
262 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Good times.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Boys, boys, can't we all just get along? Honestly, though, this trash talk raises a point about the problems of magic on video. As we watch Donnie's video, we see only one perspective. We have no idea what he's seeing from the stage, facial expressions, etc., and we can't really hear what comments are being tossed his way. We don't know the size of the room, the expectations of the crowd that frequents that club, personal chemistry, whether there are good friends right there in the front row... nada. We don't know Donnie's history with the club -- the owners and the regulars. The vibe must be very friendly for him to offer free work. As we all know, magic and comedy are live arts that happen in the moment. Video drains much of that life away. I say we take him at his word that it was a good night for him. Good luck in NYC. (Sorry to talk about you in the third person.)
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Folks,
I appreciate the comments. I think Doomo summed it up best, "Not bad! My advice to anyone who thinks they can do this... Work for a year (at least) in the comedy clubs."

I am surprised to see how polarizing this stuff is for magicians. I've been getting substantial pms from people saying they hate what I'm doing and others who love it. The general consensus from audiences is very good.

My intention in posting this was to be open. I have found the magic Café to be a very open and productive community. I was pleased with how intimate and raw my show turned out. I wanted to share it.

I am surprised at the number of comments I have received regarding my stage persona. I have heard comments ranging from "cool as hell" to "unlikeable and horrible." I think the magic is stellar and done in a way which is unique.

Once again, thank you for all of the comments, good and bad.

-Don
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Don is a great guy! and like I told him. Not everyones opinions will agree on everything. And like he said its good to get feedback and opinions. You take what can, learn from it and move on!
He seems to be doing great and my only problem was the delivery. Don has good chops/ skills though I will give him that.
Don and I have decided to settle our disagreement with a magic off. The winner will get a golden thumbtip.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-06 19:50, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Don and I have decided to settle our disagreement with a magic off. The winner will get a golden thumbtip.

What will Donnie get?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4960 Posts

Profile of landmark
As a New Yorker, I'll say I was entertained. I think you'll do fine.

Or get beat to a bloody pulp, but it's all in good fun.

Let us know when you get settled in NYC.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Farewell Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL