The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Living on the road (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I've found that there is always a Motel 6 handy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ed Rhodes!!! Re. 3 card monte and dynamike's suggestion...

Your last line "...get arrested for the 3 card monte. Your food and shelter problems will be solved for about 30 to 90 days."

That's what I said in my one line comment to dynamike's suggestion!!!

Tossing the broad==tossing the queen in the 3 c monte. 30 days free room and board (self explanatory) COUNTY CROSS BAR HOTEL==THE COUNTY JAIL

(I just phrased it in carnie argot--it's a lot more colorfulL!!!

What dynamike is apparently suggesting is that the OP should become a "short con grifter"

I was a "first o' May in the mid '40s. The following season, I became a "Johnny Come Lately". By the end of the second season, I definitely got "sawdust in my shoes". I've been with it (off and on) ever since.

Did you hear about the big blowdown on Beckman & Garety? Big Eli and the Zipper were scrap iron, Slum and plush from a dozen stick joints was scattered all over the lot. The mitt camp ended up on top of the grand stand. The high striker was bent up like a cork screw. The Ten in One was a pile of rags, and three single "o"s disappeared completely. THE ONLY THINGS LEFT STANDING ON THE LOT, WERE THREE MILK BOTTLES ON AN OLD SPARE TIRE!

If you want THAT translated, it will cost you a yard or two. Next week I'll tell how I got started on a ding show. I was working as a pickled punk for Lou Dufour. Sleeping in a possum belly aint too bad.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I have never slept in a possum belly, Dick, but I slept under one once to stay out of the wind and rain. It was a long night, but it made the sunrise the next morning that prettier.

The thread has been helpful, as I said earlier. Keep the advice and the stories coming.

Some other things I have wondered about:
1 How do you pick a pitch when you hit a town without a lot of knowledge about the town before you get there?
2 How do you eat cheaply but well while on the road? For me it has been to make my breakfast, buy something like a Subway footlong (sandwich) and split it for lunch and for dinner. Sometime in the later part of the day I treat myself to a cold soda if it is hot. I don't gain any weight, but it keeps me going.

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 10:29pm
Responding to Dynamike's suggestion for how to live cheaply. Once in Baltimore at Fells Point a man who was living on the street was hovering in the background and grabbed a handful of cash out of my hat and was trying to make off with it instead of putting some in. I respectfully told him that was the money that I needed to eat with that night and that he was going to give it back because I really didn't feel like going hungry.

He did give it back and then left in a hurry, partly because the other folks who had been sitting with him on the nearby bench told him he had to. They then told me that I didn't have to pay for meals, that they knew of a church that served lunch, and that I should come with them the next day and they'd take care of me. I think the key was that I had been treating them with respect all evening and they did the same to me. I really did consider joining them the next day for the fellowship and that it would be fun to do magic with the group while they were waiting for the meal, but I ended up two miles away where I was making money at lunch time the next day and didn't make it over.

Eating with a group of people where I'm invited sounds better to me than sneaking into a motel breakfast, but I guess I've never had to face life when I was completely broke either. I always had the plastic card in my back pocket to bail me out if I needed it since busking is something I do for enjoyment and some profit rather than my complete livelihood.

Thanks for the different perspective, Mike. I hope I never have to use all of your advice, but I've certainly met people who have had to over the years. The thing is that they seemed to be trapped in that way of living and could never find their way back out. One gentleman talked about how living on the road can 'wear you down to nothing in a hurry' and just laughed at me when I talked about the romance of hitting the road. I'd like to travel but avoid the pitfalls.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Bro. Yoder. You can't be that cheap on the road because you don't want to wind up dehydrated or worse get sick and need the emergency room. There is always an IHOP, Denny's or other cheap chain restaurant. True story, I was in Green Bay WI years ago and went into a restaurant for breakfast. The waitress asked "coffee?" I answered "Was Jesus Jewish!" well she brought my food and I asked where the coffee was she said "you said 'was Jesus Jewish' he wasn;t he was Catholic so I thought you didn't want any."
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1101 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Paddy, Love your story!
By the way, how do we know Jesus was Jewish?

He was in his father's business.

smiles from gallagher.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
D. Yoder asks "Some other things I have wondered about:
1 How do you pick a pitch when you hit a town without a lot of knowledge about the town before you get there?"
My suggestion: Find the central business district, then find within that the street/s or places/events where there's plenty of people.
In a normal town the most people are where the shops are. I especially like pitches based at the shops in a line down the side of a public street - even better if its a public mall [former traffic street]. The private vast shopping malls, and the cities with scattered private car-parking required to visit the spread-out shops are dead losses in my experience - they refuse permission to buskers on their private-owned car parks and malls it seems. Well, I've been refused when I've asked at their offices.
Open-air markets on Saturday mornings are a gathering place for people.

Finding another busker at work and chatting to him when he's free can give good leads.

But I think most of us posters here who busk know these things anyway.
The presentation makes the magic.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-08 20:52, Dick Oslund wrote:
Ed Rhodes!!! Re. 3 card monte and dynamike's suggestion...

Your last line "...get arrested for the 3 card monte. Your food and shelter problems will be solved for about 30 to 90 days."

That's what I said in my one line comment to dynamike's suggestion!!!

Yes, yes you did. And yes it was much more colorful. I'm not going to read the whole thread to see if anyone has already posted what I want to say.

Quote:
I was a "first o' May in the mid '40s. The following season, I became a "Johnny Come Lately". By the end of the second season, I definitely got "sawdust in my shoes". I've been with it (off and on) ever since.

Did you hear about the big blowdown on Beckman & Garety? Big Eli and the Zipper were scrap iron, Slum and plush from a dozen stick joints was scattered all over the lot. The mitt camp ended up on top of the grand stand. The high striker was bent up like a cork screw. The Ten in One was a pile of rags, and three single "o"s disappeared completely. THE ONLY THINGS LEFT STANDING ON THE LOT, WERE THREE MILK BOTTLES ON AN OLD SPARE TIRE!

If you want THAT translated, it will cost you a yard or two. Next week I'll tell how I got started on a ding show. I was working as a pickled punk for Lou Dufour. Sleeping in a possum belly aint too bad.

Welp, I got some of that, but not all by a long shot. I used to study carney stuff way back when. But I've lost a lot of it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-09 05:55, gallagher wrote:
Hey Paddy, Love your story!
By the way, how do we know Jesus was Jewish?

He was in his father's business.

smiles from gallagher.

At the risk of getting this thread deleted. I'm going to derail it for a moment to give you a sequence from Spider Robinson's "Callahan's Key." The lead character finds his friends lying in the grass in the yard of his bar "The Place" in Key West;

Quote:

(I) came out from behind the bar to join a group of folks lying on their back next to the pool, gazing up at the Aurora Borealis and lazily conversing. I stretched out beside the Lucky Duck and accepted the joint he passed me.

"You're just in time, Skinny," he said. "I was just proving that Jesus was Irish."

Pass me a joint, I'll play straight man. "How's that?"

"Just think about it. He never got married, he never held a steady job, and his last request was a drink. Case closed."

A few folks chuckled. Marty Pignatelli, the ex-trooper from New Jersey, said, "I think he was Italian. Talked with his hands a lot... seemed to have wine with every meal... worked in the building trades..." More chuckles.

"You're not looking at it right," Tanya Latimer said, "He called everyone 'brother,' had no fixed address, and got crucified for preaching without a permit -- I figure the man had to be Soul Brother Number One."

"You're crazy!" Noah Gonzalez told her. "Everyone knows he was Latino."

"How do you figure?"

"Hell, his first name was Jesus!"

That brought us from giggles to outright laughter. And with perfect timing, Acayib jumped in. "I'm sorry, but there can be no disputing this point. Jesus was a Jew."

He said it with a straight face, and Double Bill didn't yet know him well enough to realize his tongue was in his cheek. "Look," Bill said, "nobody meant to --"

"The evidence is clear," Acayib went on. "He went into his father's business. He lived at home until the age of thirty three. And to his dying day, the man was convinced his mother was a virgin, and she believed he was God."
Ain't life unkind?"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
ED>>>>>Liked your story, too.

WATCH THIS SPACE---COMING SOON!---FULL & COMPLETE TRANSLATION OF THE BLOW DOWN STORY

In the meantime, here's a PS to the blowdown story>>>

Cleaning up from the blowdown, the "mortal remains" of three carnies were found. One was "THOUSAND FACES FOXIE", a "FLATTIE" (an agent for a "flat store"'

A flat store is a GAFFED game of NO CHANCE! --SKILL WOULDN'T HELP EITHER. The other two were "pig iron" guys ("ride jocks" who get the rides up and down and operate them during the week.

So, the three carnies find themselves at the Pearly Gates on the "Big Lot". A Catholic priest, a Protestant Minister, and an Orthodox Rabbi are also standing in front ot the gate. St. Peter enters and says to the carnies: "Welcome fellas, pass thru the gate--you don't need to crack 'with it'--go up the golden escalator--it's trailer mounted--and enter the grand blow off.

The minister says to St. Peter: "How come those carnies get to go in before us?" as he pointed to the priest and the rabbi. Saint Peter replies: "Don't fret gentlemen! --for them, it's only a three day spot."
Iron Butterfly
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
Quote:
On 2014-01-08 05:30, gallagher wrote:
These seems, to me, to be going thru the sausage-grinder of "Homeless,..hungery,.. wandering Wursts".
Folks, the Streets are the highest stage there is.
.., bar none.
As a Street Performer,.... YOU set the standards.

Your Castle. Your Cave. Your Wandering-wigwam-of-Wonder,... lays in your hands.
Go out there with confidence,... not fear.
Create the space you need.
,don't sell out to fear,... robbery, ect.
Performing and traveling, are intense,....... positively intense..
'On the Road' needn't be,.... "in the shadows".

Comfort comes from a combination of Direction, Space, and Time.

As I said, the Streets are the highest stage,
....one reason being,.. they're attainible for 'everyman'.
However, if you don't CLIMB the Stage,..
you will lay underneath it.

Take your time.
Give it the respect it deserves.
,..and the Streets will take you places.

a friend in time,
gallagher.

I really love your posts. I will admit they took time to grow on me...but your post spoke exactly what I was feeling as I scrolled to it. Coincidence?
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
662 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Two more things I thought of recently regarding the mini van:

They fit into any parking lot space.

And generally, I'm a late riser and in the summertime, when the sun comes up, it can get real hot, real fast. Now personally, I don't like to wake up prematurely, much less prematurely and sweating.

Trees and a compass are my friends.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I had a Grand Caravan with a bed, stove, and easy chair in it.
Then I got a pick-up truck with a nice cab-over camper in the back...even better.

In Switzerland, everything's very expensive so I made a huge breakfast of ham and eggs myself and ate dinner out thusly limiting my meals to 2 a day.

Some guy I knew simply ate once a day at the all-you-can-eat specials he found around town.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
What? Ham and eggs but no Red Eye Gravy? How did you make it?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, I suppose some times you just have to be willing to rough it.
Ain't life unkind?"
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
There a web site cheapliving. Com
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Sorry cheap rv living. Com
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I heard a tip on security while on the road. I think it was at a Sammy Smith lecture. If you have cash you want to leave in your hotel/motel room, wrap it up in dirty underwear or socks and leave it laying out in the open. Presumably housekeeping will leave it alone.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Dick Oslund,
We're waiting for the blow down story!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOPS! I got yer PM this PM (!)

Was it in this forum???? (?)
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Dick,
Back up to the first page of this stream near the bottom.

Darrell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Living on the road (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL