We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

c_lamby2k
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, UK
75 Posts

Profile of c_lamby2k
Just out of curiosity, when people here perform, what effect do you open with?

I usually use my "garden of eden" prediction which is a bizzare mental prediction.

I use it because it's easy to get me started off but it is effective. It's useful when you're nervous.

So, what do you use?

Craig
CRAIG(c_lamby2k)
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
After some opening remarks, I go into yours/mine from Max. I then do a psycological force with the entire audience.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-30 08:26, c_lamby2k wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when people here perform, what effect do you open with?

I do a trick called "Get Everybody's Hand in the Air and Laugh".

Actually, it's not a trick. I ask a series of three questions and ask those people who have had the experience I describe to raise their hand. The last question is the "punchline" designed to get the audience laughing.

That, to me, is the best opening I can do for my performing style. Regardless of what the audiences perception is of what I am there to do, I reframe that into something that suits me.

Shaping the audience's expectations is important to me. Otherwise, I've found the audience spending too much time trying to figure out what their response to this stuff is supposed to be. It's like being in a performance when you don't know if it's okay to laugh or clap, so you don't. And neither does anyone else. And the performers are stricken because they need audience feedback to gauge how things are going.

That's just my point of view on openers for me.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I do something similar, using questions about deja vu, based on the comedy of Swami Beyondananda, The Yogi from Muskogee.

Do a search on this nutcase! He was 1994 Punster of the year and got me pulled over for weaving in traffic and got me out of the ticket because the State Trooper had heard the tape and advised me "Don't listen to that tape and drive, sir. It's not safe to do so. Have a nice day." at which point he got back in his cop car and lit out.

"A good laugh is the shortest distance between a performer and an audience." - Karrel Fox, IIRC.

Happy New Year!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6503 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It varies... Max Maven's Positive/Negative with John George's ending... Gauci's Eye to Eye with my multiple prediction kicker... or my mental Card in Balloon.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'm thinking of adding Osterlind's Bank Note as an opening for my next show. Smile
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Where can I find John georges ending / version of Max's positive/negative?? Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6503 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Go to his website: http://www.johngeorge.com Go to the magician section on that site and it's the video he is selling on that page that contains his idea.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
I do an effect of mine with the whole audience.
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
I like a tossed deck effect combined with some cold reading. Kenton's version with the Hoy deck is fantastic and really establishes your credentials from the start.
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
I second the bank note effect from Osterlind with the addition of a shredder, unless of course I use the chocolate bars instead of a bill.

Good luck.

hmk
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
I like opening with the magic square. It's impressive, yet believable to the audience. It sets the tone that anything is possible with the mind---then come the effects that are increasingly challenging, at least in the mind of the spectator.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I vote for quickies. Three to four nail writer effects in a row. I say, "It's just a warm up". And they think, "If this is the warm up..."

Nimrod , Israel
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I use what both Jay Sankey and Bill Malone say is the best opener. It's basically a find your card in which I miss but it changes to the selected card. I use this as my first card trick almost all the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL