The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Insuring a response (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
I attended a lecture where a magician after every effect said "Some people clap...some people throw money...somepeople just say WOW" I thought that was a nice way to avoid the blank stares while people are trying to process what they just saw. Does anybody else have any statements they use to accomplish the same thing?
Bill
Traylen
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Traylen
Let them react the way they react. If they have a blank stare let them. Never interupt someones reaction for your own sake. Unless they're clapping, then you can interupt that Smile .

But everyone is different. Let them be different. Don't force them to react the way you want them to.

Just my 2 cents.
What the eye sees, the ear hears, the mind believes.
-Harry Houdini
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
I agree. Different people react different ways. That's the great thing about it. If every person had the same reaction to every trick.. it wouldn't be too entertaining for you or them. If it's not entertaining, it's pointless.

Unless, you get a reaction like, "Oh, that's it?" Then you can say, "Well, usually, some people clap..." etc. I think it would be ok in that case..
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I think the magician you had seen, Bill, took it too far by saying it after every effect. Was the audience that awestruck, or did he put them to sleep? Was his presentation so off that they didn't get that the trick was over? Overall, I would find it trite and annoying.

I think it is a fine thing to say once, if there was a long pause after a particularly dumbfounding trick. I remember Ammar saying something like that on one of his card vids. I kinda remember it being a trick that the audience didn't realize was over....sort of like what happens at classical concerts for me Smile

Now, to finally answer your question:
I once said, "WOW! How did that happen?" and it was because my presentation didn't quite match the effect...the audience didn't have a cue (or clue, for that matter) that the trick was over. And, no, it wasn't the same one Ammar did. Smile
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
You guys are all making very good points. The lecture was just for magicians in a club setting. I guess I need to become more comfortable with peoples reactions. There is another post up that has something to do with peoples reactions. I realize that some people are just staring trying to process what they have seen even though I want them to take it as entertainment. Thanks for the input..
Bill
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
What I've found to be most useful for attaining ANY reponses beyond the blank stare is to get them involved. Now granted this isn't 100%, but it does help improve the reaction.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Do a good trick.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Yep, everyone is different. We all react in different ways...just except that and smile.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
If they are giving you a blank stare, it's probably them being astonished or just trying to comphrehend what they saw... There is an article in Online-Visions about this, I don't remember where but it involved not looking at your audience RIGHT after you do a real mind blower...

IT went on to say how when you make eye contact when they are in that "blank" state, it makes them feel threatened and whatnot, and that often after demo'ing something in a magic shop, he would just turn around and be busy putting up the trick or straightening a shelf, that by the time he turned around the person wanted to buy the trick. His sales improved because of it.

I agree with that, because I really don't like it when a magician stares me down after doing a real fooler... I feel on the spot and being challenged and stuff... I think perhaps they should get a moment by themselves to comphrehend what happened.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The late Johnny Brown used to stop, look at the audience, smile and say, "Go ahead, I'll wait." This got a laugh and a round of applause.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Insuring a response (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL