The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shrinking and Growing Head Illusion appropriate for a mentalism act? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Has anyone thought about using Bruce Kalver's Shrinking and Growing Head Illusion in a bizarre or mentalism show? I was cleaning out my magic closet of old crap I don't use anymore and found this. I think it may be more appropriate for a mental show than a magic show. It is never presented as magic but as an optical illusion. In case you don't know what this is, it is a spinning hypnotic looking disk about the size of a small pizza. The audience stares at it for a minute. Then your head shrinks or grows depending on the direction of the spinning disk. It really gets some great reactions from the audience. Seems very appropriate for a mentalism act. Has anyone tried this?

Tim
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
I haven't, many have.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
C_Biskit
View Profile
New user
United States
82 Posts

Profile of C_Biskit
It could be worked into a mentalism routine but I would think it would be an ice breaker or opener for stage illusions.

Andy
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
It could be used as an intro to a routine (or act) that is based on the premise of altered perceptions.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think it could be a good opener or maybe second "effect" for a mentalism show. Talking about perception and how it can be easily manipulated and what we see or perceive may not be reality....

I think it could work nicely.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I can see how it could be twisted as described above for such a slant but why? It's time consuming, because of it's setup it a longer, weak opening, and it simply is not mentalism. An opener sets the pace for the show and allows an audience to make their first impression of you. You've got seconds to win them over. With that in mind, this wouldn't be a choice or consideration for that.

It seems even more pointless for anything later in the show. Maybe as a second effect to reinforce altered perception. I guess I could see it , but my question would be why? More mental magic than mentalism.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Just my opinion...... but for what this effect could achieve for you I think there would be better effects to do.
I can see how it may be a light hearted interlude between more serious stuff, but again I would say there were better effects for this also.

steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Good opener. I use it. Fun, funny, and even, amazing. After that they'll be interested.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
When Marc Salem first came onto the scene, in a NY Broadway show, he opened the show that way. As he was being introduced the audience was staring at a giant hypno-disk that stood on stage. So when he came out, we all saw his body undulating.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
A large version was used to great effect on Broadway by a very good mentalist friend of mine. It's excellent in a properly lit theatrical context.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 11:53, Mindpro wrote:
I can see how it could be twisted as described above for such a slant but why? It's time consuming, because of it's setup it a longer, weak opening, and it simply is not mentalism. An opener sets the pace for the show and allows an audience to make their first impression of you. You've got seconds to win them over. With that in mind, this wouldn't be a choice or consideration for that.

It seems even more pointless for anything later in the show. Maybe as a second effect to reinforce altered perception. I guess I could see it , but my question would be why? More mental magic than mentalism.

Its not mental magic its a genuine demonstration of perception being manipulated. My "shows" tend to be more than shows and usually are slanted towards performance enhancement for business and sport. I can see it as a great way to illustrate a point about reality and perception and tie in to having the proper mindset needed to see opportunities etc. I think it would go down well with a corporate audience with a good message as part of a whole. My shows have a lot of experiential stuff this would fit in. It would also be so different from the normal training they get.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Great feedback everyone. I think this might be a good transition effect between moods and pacing within the set. After thinking about your feedback I like either of these two ideas:

* transition back to humorous from the more serious material in the middle of my set
* or after the opener which is currently humorous and engaging but less than cerebral

If I think about this effect, it generates good laughter, but it is a laughter that comes with the WTF moment. When I used to open my magic show with it, the spinning disk got fabulous reactions but seemed out of place because it was clearly not magic. People always shout "do it again!"
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 12:36, Greg Arce wrote:
When Marc Salem first came onto the scene, in a NY Broadway show, he opened the show that way. As he was being introduced the audience was staring at a giant hypno-disk that stood on stage. So when he came out, we all saw his body undulating.

Greg

We posted within a minute of each other and I didn't see yours first. But, yes, I, too, was referring to Marc Salem.
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
The growing/shrinking head is more like a gag or "interesting stuff" and those are things that must find their way in shows. They get the attention, they get laughs, they interact with everyone in the room at once and so, they add entertainment value to the show.

I really see names like Derren Brown find a place, a way or a reason to put this in their show.

I don't think it could be a strong particular piece but a condiment to something bigger.
waldorf
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of waldorf
Has anyone discovered this (spiral motion) as a mobile app? Could be good for walkaround and for small groups. I guess I could try to make a clip for my phone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shrinking and Growing Head Illusion appropriate for a mentalism act? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL