The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I saw it on Discovery! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
A magician friend did a Mental Epic kind of routine on a tv show. The next day, a neighbor, when met me, said something like this:
"I saw that magician last night on tv, he used a wireless pen didn't he? I'm sure he did! I saw it on Discovery!" (he saw on Discovery Science some review of a pen that recorded information and send it via bluetooth)
That was his opinion even tough the spectators didn't write anything. He was sure he got the method and was very proud of himself.

My question is: Do we really have to buy expensive electronics for people to accuse us of using them?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
It's a great question. I think the answer is "no". As long as methods are widely exposed, laymen will, through the process of association, associate the utlization of a particular method, whether or not it is incorporated into the routine, to a particular act. It is unfortunate, because, in the end, what this does is reduce magic to a puzzle, from something of wonder and mystery to something of, "ok, how did he trick me?". Of course, association could be used as an advantage by the magi as a decoy to deliver a "shock and awe" surprise element, but that won't be to every performer's preference.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
In this case using a chalk slate or a pad and pencil would have confounded your neighbor. I know of at least one mindreader who lets audience members keep the pencils they write with and I'm beginning to follow his example. We have to subtly disprove reasonable solutions.

Now that your magician friend knows what his audience might be thinking he can stay one step ahead of them next time.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 21:10, Mike Ince wrote:
In this case using a chalk slate or a pad and pencil would have confounded your neighbor. I know of at least one mindreader who lets audience members keep the pencils they write with and I'm beginning to follow his example. We have to subtly disprove reasonable solutions.

Now that your magician friend knows what his audience might be thinking he can stay one step ahead of them next time.

There was no writing down here. My post was more about the attitude of the neighbor not about eliminating solutions.
They think they know how a trick was done even if it's VERY far away from something that can be considered correct. The electronics thing wast just an example. Could be accused of using a TT when you actually never touched the bill or accused of using a mirror when you do a pole levitation. Get the ideea...
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
This is where blatantly disproving methods during the routine comes in handy. Tamariz talked about mentioning then eliminating/disproving all possible methods to prove an effect was impossible in with The Magic Way or Five Points in Magic. Bob Cassidy also mentions it as the logical disconnect in his new book, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals. I believe the idea is to give the spectator possible solutions and disprove them or say you're not using them. Bob might chime in on this as this is my interpretation of what his logical disconnect theory is. If you give them possible avenues but prove that you couldn't possibly be using said avenues then the spectator has no choice but to believe it's what you're claiming it to be.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 21:29, Vlad Grigorescu wrote:
There was no writing down here. My post was more about the attitude of the neighbor not about eliminating solutions.
They think they know how a trick was done even if it's VERY far away from something that can be considered correct. The electronics thing wast just an example. Could be accused of using a TT when you actually never touched the bill or accused of using a mirror when you do a pole levitation. Get the ideea...

If his solution is ridiculous there's not much you can do. He's proven he can't be reasoned with. Let him gloat. Comedian Ron White said it well enough; "you can't fix stupid." On the other hand if his solutions are reasonable it's the performer's job to eliminate those.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Vlad - we've had these same discussions about many products including MD.

Technology is here to stay. People will always be guessing as to methods. Big deal? I wouldn't worry about it personally.

The number of people who saw that show is small. The # of people who know how ID works is small. Its a big world out there. Go perform, enjoy, and accept that people will always be guessing methods.

That is why it is good to mix high and low tech in a show.

Do you know how many times people pull their phone out to Google methods agtet seeing a performer?

This is the nature of things now - but I accept it, and there is nothing to fear as the sky is not falling.

Some people are bothered by magic and can't help but see it as a puzzle to be solved or Googled. For them it's best to just ignore and move on to people who want to be entertained and enjoy the ride.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
At a gig before Christmas, I performed my multi phase sp**n be*d. The one spectator swore he had it figured out. He said that I was using special metals that when I concentrated in the sp*on, it's began to heat up from the energy. Then when I began to twist it in their hand, it put the twist in the spo*n. I didn't quite no what to say and tried my best not to smirk to much but smiled and said anything is possible.
I know it's got nothing to do with electronics but sometimes it's just so interesting on what people come up with.
Darren
Twitter @darjames
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 23:06, Jamie D wrote:
At a gig before Christmas, I performed my multi phase sp**n be*d. The one spectator swore he had it figured out. He said that I was using special metals that when I concentrated in the sp*on, it's began to heat up from the energy. Then when I began to twist it in their hand, it put the twist in the spo*n. I didn't quite no what to say and tried my best not to smirk to much but smiled and said anything is possible.
I know it's got nothing to do with electronics but sometimes it's just so interesting on what people come up with.
Darren

Ecactly - I get the same kinds of guesses and explanations. I always just nod my head and smile, eyebrows furrowed.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1537 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
"Well... I suppose that would be the easier way to do it, huh? Thanks for your input, it was a pleasure meeting you."

I've only had to use it a few times, but that line has got me outta some sticky situations.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Yannou
People come up with "solutions" all the time. Just last week, I picked up something during a routine which has nothing to do with the method, but it allows me to do gag. It's presentational only. But of course, right after the effect, I can hear 2 people in the audience say to eachother that that was when I must have been doing something funny. I did not and I could not even have done anyting, but that did not stop them. There are always people like that. Only when you get something like that repeatedly and they all mention the same thing should you try to dispell that notion.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2163 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 23:06, Jamie D wrote:
.......... that when I concentrated in the sp*on, it's began to heat up from the energy.
Darren

concentrated your energy into the spoon?

I would take that as a WIN and run with it!!!!!

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I used to get suggestions like that back when I was doing only magic. Trick deck, up the sleeve, false bottom. When someone's ego is involved with not being "fooled", anything (even the patently absurd) is fair game. Logical Disconnect the obvious (and sometimes the not-so-obvious) until all that's left is the ridiculous and still, if someone's ego is threatened, they'll go for it.

I don't use tech because, truthfully, when I first came back to performing I couldn't afford the stuff. I found work-arounds and old-school methods that I liked, and now I'm used to that. My highest tech gadget? A magnet and a BB. Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I saw it on Discovery! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL