The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need advise for teaching magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I wasn't sure where to post this one:
One of my clients wants me to teach his 2 kids some easy magic once a week. I have material to teach them but I don't know what would be fair to charge him?
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Most around here charge $75 an hour, so 2 would be $150. If props are needed they have to purchase those themselves. It is also fair to provide instruction sheets for the tricks you teach, they are not given those until after you teach each trick. It would be also good if you had a goal in duration and a curriculum to follow. Going in without any preparation will result in confusion and problems with the parents.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I would try to find out what tutor's are charging in your area. In essence, that's what you are doing, plus the cost of any items you give the children.
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Always establish a reason when determining your pricing and I think wizardpa has the right idea. You could call a local college and ask the question about tutoring costs. Most college students charge less than a professional tutor but it will certainly give you a framework for thought. You can then tell your potential client what they charge and relate it to what you charge. You have now justified your costs.

If you double your charge for two students versus one you may loose the business. I would certainly give a discount for the second student, such as $75 for one or $125 for two. After all, you will be teaching some aspects of the lesson to both at the same time.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
What is it worth to you, and what are they willing to pay? Reach an agreement. Also, consider the enjoyment factor.

I have spent many hours teaching kids for little monetary pay but had a great time. I have taught magic classes at two theaters, a community college, and a magic store. The money was different at each. At the magic store I charges $20 per child, which included a physical magic trick. I split the fee, the store paid for the prop out of his half, and I taught anywhere from 2-6 kids at a time. So I was making as little as $10-$60 for the hour, but I had a great time and got to spend Saturday morning at a magic shop ... and get paid!
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
My rate card states $70/hour for teaching plus materials. I also sell my magic book to the student(s)--the one that I published and sell as BOR. I teach out of that book. In some situations I have charged as little as $50 per hour (for promotional reasons). I taught two seniors for $100.00. I also taught a month long series at a summer camp which was an hour class three days/week for four weeks. The last week we rehearsed for the final day when the kids put on a show for the parents and staff. I charged $800.00 for that and I think I would rethink that amount for future gigs.

Any teaching I do, I use also as an opportunity to promote my regular show offerings.

I hope this helps a little

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need advise for teaching magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL