The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A story that teaches us a lot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
Here is a story I read in bad and old hypnosis book from my childhood. Actually, I think this was the only good thing in the book. The story was something like this:

There was a small town baker that was studying hypnosis. He had everything he needed: the looks, the voice and the knowledge but somehow he could not manage to put anyone under. So he decided to pay a visit to a great hypnotist from a near town, for help. The great hypnotist listened to his problem, looked at him, talked to him and got to the conclusion that he had all it takes to do it but could not understand why he had no success.
Then he asked him:
- what do you do for a living?
- I am a baker.
- And do people know you in your town?
- Yes, everyone. I am a well respected baker.
- That's it! That's your problem! I can imagine people in your town talking and laughing at a corner about the baker that tries to do hypnosis.
So the greater hypnotist arranged a meeting with some friends, presented him as the great hypnotist from a 'big name' city and his success with them was great!

I think this story gives us the great secret that makes hypnosis work: authority.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This has been discussed many times here. This is why in the beginning or training stages, attempting to practice your hypnosis on friends and family almost always results in disappointment or failure. A group or audience of complete strangers increases probability 100%.

What's funny is reading your story my immediate thought was "he's a baker, not a hypnotist!"
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

I'm sure the subject was discussed before but I wanted to share that story that I remembered.
Also, the Milgram experiment would be a good thing to read about before trying hypnosis.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
What book is this???

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-01-03 19:40, Vlad Grigorescu wrote:
Here is a story I read in bad and old hypnosis book from my childhood. Actually, I think this was the only good thing in the book. The story was something like this:

There was a small town baker that was studying hypnosis. He had everything he needed: the looks, the voice and the knowledge but somehow he could not manage to put anyone under. So he decided to pay a visit to a great hypnotist from a near town, for help. The great hypnotist listened to his problem, looked at him, talked to him and got to the conclusion that he had all it takes to do it but could not understand why he had no success.
Then he asked him:
- what do you do for a living?
- I am a baker.
- And do people know you in your town?
- Yes, everyone. I am a well respected baker.
- That's it! That's your problem! I can imagine people in your town talking and laughing at a corner about the baker that tries to do hypnosis.
So the greater hypnotist arranged a meeting with some friends, presented him as the great hypnotist from a 'big name' city and his success with them was great!

I think this story gives us the great secret that makes hypnosis work: authority.

Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Was a low budget, Romanian book with the the title "Hipnoza"(hypnosis). Was part of a series of 100 pages books about paranormal and stuff like that.
Had no good information in it. Sayd stuff like "If you want to be a good hypnotist you should wash your face every morning with very cold water and then look in the mirror and say 'I can control people' 30 times".
Yesmereyezed
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Yesmereyezed
In which way can clothes contribute to more authority?
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Your look and personality will do more to establish authority than almost anything else. Your look and speech need to match and both need to present you in an authorative and professional manner
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Speech, body language, clothes, if they all have the impression of great self confidence it will become authority.

You need to present yourself as confident(not arrogant) for them to see you as a confident authority.

- John.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A story that teaches us a lot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL