The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "No one's turned up" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I don't do shows very often - I don't promote myself and I have a full time job so it's more of a hobby and an insurance policy against redundancy. But I think I do a good show.

Anyway, yesterday I got a call from a woman - her 6 year old's birthday was the next day (i.e today) and she had hired a bouncy castle but the weather forecast looked bad and she thought a magician would be a better idea. Since I was free, I agreed to do the show. So today I packed up the car, dressed up and set off. I was nearly there when I got a call from her - "no one's showed up!". There didn't seem much to discuss so I turned back. Half a day effectively wasted.

In retrospect I had a slightly bad feeling about the booking. I could tell from the phone call and looking at Google Street View that this was not a well-off family. There had been a slight pause after I named my price (which is quite modest, compared to others round here). The fact that it was a last minute booking suggested that she wasn't very well organised.

What could/should I have done? Done a show for the birthday boy alone? (Chance of getting paid: slim). Tried to get a deposit up front? (hard, given the short notice). Used a signed contract like a professional and insisted on payment? Declined the booking?
Jolyon Jenkins
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I would have let it go, and put it down to one of life's learning experiences. JR
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I probably would have gone to the house and done a very simple, small, short program of three or four tricks for a nominal fee or even at no charge, if only to brighten the spirits of a child whose special day was pretty much ruined because of weather or other circumstances. It might have bolstered the self-esteem of a child who likely needed something to lift his spirits because he was wondering why no one wanted to celebrate his special day with him.

I remember reading a story about Thurston agreeing to do a show for a former agent from early in his career who had fallen on bad financial times. Although Thurston's fee was pretty high, he quoted a price that was equal to what he had received back when he was just getting started in magic.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Don't worry Jolyon. You are on the right track. That is how a lot of us learn. For now on request a deposit. It will make the perspective client think twice. If it is cancelled again, at least it will take care of your gas.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 10:38, Anatole wrote:
I probably would have gone to the house and done a very simple, small, short program of three or four tricks for a nominal fee or even at no charge, if only to brighten the spirits of a child whose special day was pretty much ruined because of weather or other circumstances. It might have bolstered the self-esteem of a child who likely needed something to lift his spirits because he was wondering why no one wanted to celebrate his special day with him.

Yes, you're right. I should have. Never mind.
Jolyon Jenkins
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I actually agree with everyone's response here. The only way to prevent this from happening in the future is to never accept a last minute booking unless the client agrees to pay you upon arrival prior to you setting up, and always contract and get a deposit for bookings that aren't last minute.

But even all this wouldn't have protected you here since the client clearly wasn't looking to take advantage of you in any way or she never would have called you prior to your arrival. It was a risk you were willing to take that unfortunately back-fired.

I do really like Anatole's suggestion for all the reasons mentioned. I'll also add that it not only would have brightened the kids day - it would have also probably made you feel very good inside. Good deeds and goodwill are priceless and often worth much more than the days pay in gaining you future business or a terrific branded reputation in the marketplace.

Regardless, there was no wrong decision for you here. In the end, we all live and learn!

- Gary
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Take a deposit via paypal or square?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Just for the record, and I know that many will not agree with me, I have never taken a deposit for a birthday party and never will. I also do not take credit cards, and never will. I also do virtually no marketing, and I like it that way. I do hundreds of birthday parties every year, and have done so for the past 40 years. My way works for me, and it always has and always will!!! What you all do is up to you, as there are no rules! JR
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Hey Jolly, I'm with you. Maybe, because I'm retired, and I draw a good retirement, and I also have a part time job, I do not need the money, so no big deal.
I too, will never require a deposit or will I do credit cards.
I too got burned once, in the 6 years I've been doing this, and I guess over those 6 years I've done 400 shows so I feel that's OK.
I guess if you have a doubt about a particular client, you can call the client before leaving your house to make sure you have the directions to their house correct.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You might have gotten a deposit through PayPal or Square, if you have it.
Doing a short show for the birthday boy would have been good karma. The money is good and necessary, but part of my payment is the good feeling I get from seeing the kids laughing and happy.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 15:46, Comedy Writer wrote:
Take a deposit via paypal or square?

Ooooops, didn't see that Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am with Anatole. That is how I would have handled it.

I am also with Rodger. I don't do deposits or credit cards.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
How hard is it to get a Square account set up and start accepting credit cards over the phone for deposits?

Not that hard.

It will also save you from the people who don't value what we do.

Josh
Josh
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I have no idea what a square account is, and I don't really want to know. However, talking about square, I used to love the show "It's a square world" as a young man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWomdkwtoY

JR
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I don't usually request a deposit unless the client seems odd or fishy or something just doesn't seem "right". I rarely have problems so it's not worth the bother for me. You can get paid via credit card via PayPal even if the client doesn't have a PayPal account - you just sign up for a merchant account and do an invoice.
This summer I did a gig for a 4 year old and no one showed up, but I still did a bunch of stuff for him and the family, and they were really happy.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Sadly, a bouncy castle outside in an English winter shows a poorly organised parent - especially on the last Saturday of a two-week holiday (no chance in class to remind friends to come !!! or tell them about the magician)

compounded by the panic booking of a magician the day before, for a day when high winds and driving rain/floods were predicted

we never left our house yesterday, nor at the sound of it did these parents

--------

deposits and credit cards are a personal choice - we choose NOT to take them so last year took lots of cheques, a few cash payments and one bank transfer from a bigger concern - and when we investigated (in 2009) we found that clients could retract their payments from worldpay/paypal if they were not happy, and after a few of those our company account would have been frozen
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Last minute bookings are a definite red flag. If you go into it knowing it’s a risk then you won’t be so disappointed if it doesn’t work out. But if you don’t have any plans you may end up with some unexpected cash in your pocket. Rjenkis, IMHO, I don’t think you did anything wrong.

On deposits, not only do I not take deposits, I tell my customers they don’t have to pay a dime until AFTER the show and ONLY if they are 100% satisfied. I believe customers respect that and it encourages mutual trust.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
I’m not sure I would have accepted the gig a day before. I have told enquirer’s that since performing is not my full-time job I need 48 hours minimum in order for my schedule to accommodate them. (Yes, I have accepted invitations on shorter notice, but given that I juggle three employers AND perform, scheduling is a legitimate concern!)

Once upon a time, I found myself doing a lot of outdoor performances. I generated a “contract” with some clauses about cancellation due to weather and that I would still receive a portion of the agreed upon fee. But that isn’t necessarily adequate cover in this situation.

Like others here, I have not asked for pre-paid deposits. I do, however, get a lot of info to help me prepare for the performance (How many will there be? What ages? If a kid’s event, how many adults will also be there? How long am I to entertain? How long is the rest of the party? What other activities will be happening before and after me? Describe the area where I will be performing.) I also have a form that I e-mail and ask to have returned with address, name of birthday child, time(s) “just to make sure I have the info correct because my handwriting is sometimes hard to read.” My intent: is to communicate “I am sincere in what I am providing you and am coming prepared. I hope you will respect my preparation.”

I can’t say these always worked in my favor, but it helped me feel I had done what I could in advance.

That said, if on the way to the party I got that call cancelling the event I might still offer to complete my journey “because I had worked on one special routine for the birthday child.” After all I had set aside the time for that occasion and, paid or not, more goodwill in the world is needed. No need for the birthday child to be denied everything because of poor planning by parents. I say “might” because I truly would let my gut make the decision – and this situation may not have been salvaged regardless of good intentions by the performer!
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
I have a policy of not accepting last minute bookings unless they have been let down by another entertainer. Experience has shown me that last minute bookings almost always end up in me feeling frustrated and my peace is not worth it. I do think the best course of action given the circumstances is to do as Jolly Roger suggests and add this to your own experience to guide your future actions. I sceptically feel that the "nobody has arrived" message may have meant "we can't afford it" as is suggested by your google search.

Ken
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 22:47, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
How hard is it to get a Square account set up and start accepting credit cards over the phone for deposits?

Not that hard.

It will also save you from the people who don't value what we do.

Josh

Just to answer your question above (not sure if it was a question or a questioning of the posters mental capacity). Square in not available in most countries outside of the USA. DEFINITELY NOT IN AUSTRALIA!

Not that hard you say. YES, VERY HARD! IN FACT NOT POSSIBLE AT ALL!

Unfortunately your advice didn't add any value to this thread at all.

JoJo

ps. As JR and TonyB mentioned above, I too don't demand deposits upfront to secure bookings. In fact almost all the people who demand deposits/contracts etc, are agents who are in some instances adding on 90 to 100% to the entertainers fees. Most people here prefer dealing one on one with their entertainers. I have only had about 5 last minute cancellations in the past 6 years. Doesn't bother me too much.
Though I'm very much on guard with these last minute call ups, developing a nose for the possible problems comes with experience I guess.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "No one's turned up" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL