The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "No one's turned up" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I am with Anatole and Jolly. If I was already in the car, I would have showed up just to make the birthday child's day feel a little special, especially if no one showed up. A couple of tricks, a few smiles and laughs, and on my way.

And as Jolly, I don't take a deposit.
marjochan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of marjochan
This kind of happened to me Two years ago although I hadn't left our house yet. The party was local and was to take place in Two hours time. The Mum had only booked me a week before and there were only about 5 other children going. For some reason, they all cancelled on the day. I decided to just do it anyway and performed a few close up bits and bobs for the child and his family for about 20 minutes. I hadn't taken a deposit as I don't tend to for Children's Parties. Rightly or wrongly, I also didn't take a fee on the day, just putting it down to free marketing. The Mother phoned me up the next day thanking me for going ahead and filled me in on a bit of background. The child had started a new school and was having problems making friends. It would appear that his choice of friends stitched him up on the day. A pity.

I never got the return gig the next year but I do sometimes wonder if the young boy had settled in.
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
97 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Rjenkins,

For the professional or not, I would have gone ahead and done the show and not charged a thing.
The whole purpose, or should be, is to bring joy and wonder into peoples lives-kids especially.
If you're one of those folks who only does magic for money, then why do it? It should never be
about the money, it should be about being a positive role model and influence for kids, give them
something to dream about. As a performer, you never know what kind of environment or situation children
come from; it's part of our job to take their mind off of that for a while.
Besides, that family may have connections to others and if you would
have done a free show, it may lead to a very large paid show. Word of mouth is free and it's the
strongest type of marketing out there-fancy website, business cards or not, if your attitude doesn't reflect
the art, then you have no business doing it.
Just my opinion.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Unless the client says not to come, I would do the show. I was asked to perform and I will.

The kid and family would have a much better day because of it. And so would I.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
One day I got a phone call from the agent of a famous rock/country singer asking if I was available to do a show that afternoon at a party for the singer, who was a big fan of magic and in town for a concert. They had gotten my name by calling the local magic shop and the owner of the shop had recommended me. I quoted my fee--which really wasn't that outrageous--and they said fine and told me the time and location. I loaded my car and headed for the hotel. When I got there I found the person in charge, and he turned to his team and said, "Didn't anyone call Mr. Narvaez and tell him we found someone else at a better price?" No one had. They offered me free tickets to the show, but I was so angry that I said, "No thank you." I turned around and left. I knew the magician they had booked and I was sure he did a great job and there were no hard feelings between him and me when we talked about the incident later. But I thought it was very unprofessional--not to mention cheap--of the singer's team.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Anatole, name and shame the cheapskate.

That would have left me furious too.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
OP wrote: "I could tell from the phone call and looking at Google Street View that this was not a well-off family."
Using the Google Street View is a very interesting approach, I reckon, to vetting the "scene". Anybody else use this approach?
I considered contacting a school to see about busking at their coming event, but when I went to their internet site and saw from their publicity photos of the previous year the paucity of folks at the various events they showed I figured there weren't enough people around at the event to make it worthwhile even asking to be there.
The presentation makes the magic.
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
I agree with Anatole.

As a general rule, I wouldn't accept last minute bookings for birthday parties unless I already knew the people involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "No one's turned up" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL