The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 9 Qualities of Millionaires (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 13:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Other than those who inherited it, I'd love to see a list of people who became wealthy without going into debt. I bet it's a pretty short list.

I too think it would be a very short list.
And I think most people don't make the list simply because of these words:

"The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain."

We (as in most) simply too busy trying to hold on to what we have to go for more. We looking for guarantees.
Like they say, and it's not really a nice way to say it, but if you looking for a guarantee, buy a toaster. Smile

Business has risks, big risks. Very scary risks for many.

A younger person can easily become rich from savings. Problem is, most younger can't see that far down the road. Everybody 'hopes' to be rich one day. So they just wait and hope.

Tom
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
You guys are thinking so small. I am half-way to becoming an eccentric Billionaire. I got that first part down perfectly.

;)

Bazinga!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I knew a young fellow age 22 who arrived in England, stone broke from a poor village in Guiana and within three months he was millionaire and then he got caught. I asked him, why didn't you leave, go home, when you got that much and live like a King, instead going for more? King, King he said, I wanted to be Emperor!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I've been fortunately to own my home at age 35, own my second home at 50, and retired at 50.

The only advice I have is that it is a very good feeling being debt free, especially after once being in deep credit card debt.

If a million dollars is what you want then plan for it.

Here is an old posting Making A Million Dollars A Year in Magic Shows You might find it interesting, inspiring, and a possible way to make a million.
Dennis Michael
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is easy to have a million dollars at the end of the year with a magic show.

Step 1) Start with two million dollars.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Very Interesting
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Dennis Michael
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 08:49, Dennis Michael wrote:
Interesting article:

How to Get Rich, in a Word: Save

How to Create a Wealth-Building Mindset

I am a big believer in saving and staying out of debt. I also like to set certain financial objectives and then save towards those goals. I think investing conservatively is important as well and while saving towards certain financial objectives, depending on how expensive that objective is, you could possibly invest the savings you have towards a financial objective conservatively to help you achieve that objective. Depending on the objective, you can't always take savings put towards that objective and invest it to help achieve that objective. But if it's a financial objective such as retirement for example or a brand new car or house that would cost a lot of money, you could invest those savings conservatively to help achieve those kind of objectives.

Emergency cash reserve is important too though as you always have Murphy's law in place. You don't want to have to dip into investments working for you when Murphy strikes, so that's where the emergency cash reserve comes into play to protect the money invested that is working for you.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
A lot of these "get rich by saving" memes assume a lot. They assume you are going to be able to save $3-4 hundred a month from an early age, they assume a high rate of return that hasn't existed in some time. Perhaps it is possible but it wouldn't have been something I could have done. I was a starving artist for most of my 20's and early 30's. I didn't even make $400 a month for some of those years.

If I hadn't taken out a small business loan and a second mortage on my house, I could have never started my first companies. the risk paid off. today, I think there are ways to start businesses on a lower overhead, but when I was starting out it wasn't really feasible. You needed runway cash. I don't know how people save what they suggest and get married, get a house, have kids, pay for their college. Somethings got to give.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. And that's exactly why the intelligent use of debt and credit has been essential to most who have been successful.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
A lot of these "get rich by saving" memes assume a lot. They assume you are going to be able to save $3-4 hundred a month from an early age, they assume a high rate of return that hasn't existed in some time. Perhaps it is possible but it wouldn't have been something I could have done. I was a starving artist for most of my 20's and early 30's. I didn't even make $400 a month for some of those years.

If I hadn't taken out a small business loan and a second mortage on my house, I could have never started my first companies. the risk paid off. today, I think there are ways to start businesses on a lower overhead, but when I was starting out it wasn't really feasible. You needed runway cash. I don't know how people save what they suggest and get married, get a house, have kids, pay for their college. Somethings got to give.

Warren Buffet saved and made his billions by being frugal and investing his money. You don't have to take a big gamble by going into a lot of debt when first starting a business. Sometimes the gamble pays off, a lot of times it doesn't. Ted Turner's father went into millions of dollars of debt that he took out for his business and his gamble failed. Drove the guy to sucide if I rememeber correctly. I view going into debt to start a business as a very risky proposition and personally prefer to start business without going into any debt whatsoever.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well, Warren Buffet may have been frugal but he made his billions running Berkshire Hathaway. His genius came, not from frugality, but by being able to pick winners on the horses he bet on.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The ability to raise money and attract investors is an essential skill for any entrepreneur. You can't do that without understanding how debt is actually an asset when used properly.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Well, Warren Buffet may have been frugal but he made his billions running Berkshire Hathaway. His genius came, not from frugality, but by being able to pick winners on the horses he bet on.

Warren Buffet didn't make his money by betting on horses. He made his money by investing. There is a big difference between betting and investing. Most people who put their money in the stock market are betting, rather than investing in the stock market. Warren Buffet on the other hand, invested his money in the stock market and did not bet on it.

Quote:
The ability to raise money and attract investors is an essential skill for any entrepreneur. You can't do that without understanding how debt is actually an asset when used properly.

Smart investors would be attracted to a company that provides a return. It becomes much more difficult for a company to bring value to shareholders and a return to those shareholders, when it has to pay bond holders or the bank.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes manipulation is more profitable than speculation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 16:38, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes. And that's exactly why the intelligent use of debt and credit has been essential to most who have been successful.

He is never going to change his opinion. All debt is bad. He has his truth and no interest in learning. Only proslotising.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 16:45, General_Magician wrote:

Ted Turner's father went into millions of dollars of debt that he took out for his business and his gamble failed. Drove the guy to sucide if I rememeber correctly.

His father had problems with depression, alcohol, and pills. I would guess that any of those had much more to do with his suicide, than did any debt. BTW, Ted inherited / bought out his father's company after his father committed suicide, and made it into a success. So I think it is inaccurate and an exaggeration to say that his father's investment was a failed gamble. (At least, it wasn't a total failure and it must not have destroyed the company.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 17:31, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:

Warren Buffet didn't make his money by betting on horses. He made his money by investing. There is a big difference between betting and investing. Most people who put their money in the stock market are betting, rather than investing in the stock market. Warren Buffet on the other hand, invested his money in the stock market and did not bet on it.

I think it is safe to say that Buffet was never scared of taking on debt.

BTW, Buffet invested in Berkshire Hathaway because he felt slighted by the previous owner and took over the company only so that he could fire the guy. You call that smart investing? Warren calls it his biggest ever investment mistake. Smile

"In 1962, Warren Buffett began buying stock in Berkshire Hathaway after noticing a pattern in the price direction of its stock whenever the company closed a mill. Eventually, Buffett acknowledged that the textile business was waning and the company's financial situation was not going to improve. In 1964, Stanton made an oral tender offer of $11 1⁄2 per share for the company to buy back Buffett's shares. Buffett agreed to the deal. A few weeks later, Warren Buffett received the tender offer in writing, but the tender offer was for only $11 3⁄8. Buffett later admitted that this lower, undercutting offer made him angry. Instead of selling at the slightly lower price, Buffett decided to buy more of the stock to take control of the company and fire Stanton (which he did). However, this put Buffett in a situation where he was now majority owner of a textile business that was failing."

"In 2010, Buffett claimed that purchasing Berkshire Hathaway was the biggest investment mistake he had ever made, and claimed that it had denied him compounded investment returns of about $200 billion over the previous 45 years. Buffett claimed that had he invested that money directly in insurance businesses instead of buying out Berkshire Hathaway (due to what he perceived as a slight by an individual), those investments would have paid off several hundredfold."

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=1618466375&play=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
BTW, where I said "invested in" I should have said "took control of". Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 9 Qualities of Millionaires (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL