The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Black Bikes, Anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I am a complete hobbyist and have no need to by my cards buy the case. However, a certain big box retailer happens to sell Bikes in a certain 4-pack--two red, two black--for under 10 bucks, so I have been stocking up on those.

I have learned very quickly here that red Bikes are the performance card of choice--they are universally recognized and are unlikely to be viewed with suspicion by spectators. Blue Bikes seem common enough as well--Ammar seems to use them a bit in the ETMCM series. But I never knew the black ones existed until I saw them marketed in this specially priced 4-pack.

Anyone here ever use or perform with the black ones, or is the colour too uncommon to be comfortably used in serious work?

Right now I practice with the black ones and save the red ones for the time, should it ever come, when I find willing victims who are not my spouse, child, or pets.

As an aside, what to folks do with worn cards? Do you simply trash or recycle them? Donate them to hospitals or retirement homes or community centres? Save them to make double-sided cards, or to practice tricks where cards are destroyed? Save all the 7Ds to carry them around for luck, like Ed Marlo? I have had a deck in my hands for much of the holiday weeks, and it's already dirty and soft. I can imagine that serious performers go through cards a lot quicker.

TIA,

Les
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I like the black bikes a lot, I stocked up on them a few years ago.
I do not feel that they are too far off the common path to use. They have a nice classy look.
However, I use red most of the time.

My used cards are thrown out. Or practice MC fold.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
The only thing I don't like about the black ones, at least those that I have, is that the red suits are actually blue. I like the novelty of them, but they do throw off some peopl, and I had one spectator ask if it was a trick deck just because the colors were different.
~Cameron Mount
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 16:21, Mercutio01 wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the black ones, at least those that I have, is that the red suits are actually blue. I like the novelty of them, but they do throw off some peopl, and I had one spectator ask if it was a trick deck just because the colors were different.

The ones I have are the standard rider back, just like the red and blue ones. Black suits are black, red suits are red. Identical in every way to the more familiar red and blue, only the backs are black.
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
Mine are standard rider backs as well. They also came in a four pack with two reds and two blacks. The red decks are normal, but in the black decks, the black suits are black and the red suits are blue. Weird. Bought mine at Target.
~Cameron Mount
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
Crap, I'm confusing myself. Those are the dragon backed cards I'm thinking of. Nevermind my brainfart.
~Cameron Mount
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I think Wallgreens is the only place I have ever seen these.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I see and buy them all the time at Wallgreens as well. I love them! I don't see a huge issue with them. If you let someone examine them, it helps as well. Those red bikes I find better than normal red bikes that you buy now days. The Rider Backs I find last a lot longer and perform a LOT better. People say there is no difference but I see a HUGE difference. With a pack of standards (the ones they sell now), They start clumping 5 or 10 minutes after I open them.. Riderbacks never clump for me.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Thanks, all! Last night I was bored so I put on the pyjamas and headed out to my nearest branch of Sam Walton's sweatshop to stock up. At an average of under $2.50 per deck it can't be beat--you only hit that per-unit price at other sellers or distributors when you buy a case of two dozen. I will keep getting them as long as the store carries them. I never knew a drawer full of unopened Bicycle decks could make me fell so fuzzy inside Smile Yes, I do admit I like working with the black ones a lot, and the black does contrast nicely with the red in two-pack work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Black Bikes, Anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL