The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Not another kids show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kippteacher1
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of kippteacher1
Hi everyone. I typically perform at kid shows, but have been hired to reform for about 30 adults in a small room with chairs. I have no idea what tricks to do for that type and size of audience. I have a lot of tricks but wouldn't mind purchasing a few more if it would works really well for this gig. I have 45 min to amaze . Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Whatever you do, don't do material you are not familiar with. Also, don't panic and buy lots of new tricks ... you MUST be absolutely relaxed and comfortable performing whatever tricks you are planning to do. That said, magic for adults can contain card tricks (which I wouldn't normally do for kidshows). A baffling mentalism effect would work. And then turn to the classics: Linking Rings, Cut & Restored Rope, Newspaper Tear, etc. As with kidshows, use lots of volunteers and involve the audience as much as you can.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2014-01-08 15:02, kippteacher1 wrote:
I have no idea what tricks to do for that type and size of audience.

That pretty much tells the story and I know you're not going to take my advice but here it is anyway,
There's a reason the general public has certain impressions and has developed a steriotype of magicians being cheezy, some of it has to do with kids show performers trying to work in a different enviroment or close-up workers booking an illusion shoiw and thinking they can rent some illusions and that makes them an illusionst. You might consider passing this show to someone else who works for adults but with the understabding that you can come and watch them.

If you want to work your way into adult shows, I would start by performing more sophisticated routines for the adults that attend some of the parties you work, Do a a few quick effects that are on their level and work the room. It's also a great way to personally hand them a business card.

Another thing you can do is add a more mature effect to your kids show and perform it for the adults, like Bwave in one show and Slidini Silks in another. Then when you have the experiance of doing effects for the adults, you can combine all of the routines as an adult show.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Very sound advice, Jay!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
So, you have succeeded in sticking your neck out by selling something you don't have to sell. Your choices are simple... either produce what they are paying for (and you should work this out for yourself. You'll learn nothing if other people clean up your problems.), or stop booking shows that you are not ready for, until you are.

I'm pretty much with Jay on this.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"You can't no more teach what you aint learned, than you can go back to where you aint been." As Michael has just said, so well: "...you have succeeded in sticking your neck out by selling something you don't have to selll. In Latin the expression is NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET. (NO ONE CAN GIVE WHAT HE DOES NOT HAVE.)

I see three choices. 1. Try to do a show and end up looking very foolish. (Mainly, because you don't have a show. (Nemo dat...) This could very well negatively affect the audience, so that they would NEVER wish to see another magician.

2. Cop a plea! (I broke my wand! or ??!!)

3. Find someone who can do a good show and observe.

As Michael just said: "You'll learn nothing if other people clean up your problems,

Old proverb: FOOLS RUSH IN WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dykstraj99
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dykstraj99
If it fits your style, humor goes a long way.
kippteacher1
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of kippteacher1
I completely understand the negative sentiment. I am experienced and have the ability to perform many tricks either self-working or sleight of hand necessary. I am able to manipulate cards and coins and have some larger tricks for this size audience.

I will certainly perform Mental Epic and a book test (can someone recommend one?).

Cut and restore rope is another that I'd like to perform, but can anyone recommend a really good routine that I should learn?

This show isn't for 2 months, so I have plenty of time to practice/get ready.

So, are there other tricks that you can recommend for this audience?

Thanks
kippteacher1
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of kippteacher1
How would a trick like Brainwave work in a non-close up setting? I've never performed it for a larger group.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Invisible Deck is much better for comedy presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlNagRzsf4

This is the standard Mental Epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0QzK4tAN2A That voice Bill is me on the video.

There are some very expensive Mental Epic Boards on the market, it all depends how much you are will to pay, in wards of $300.00.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Brainwave is available in Jumbo Cards:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/brainwave-deck-jumbo-cards/
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
203 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Two months seems like a pretty good lead time to build a set, although 45 minutes seems a little ambitious.

It would help if you could describe a little more about the gig--nature of the venue (living room? church basement? banquet room? outdoors/indoors?), who's in the audience, etc. How did the client find you?

Also: what does your current kid set and close-up repertoire consist of? This would give us an idea of what your skill set is and what props you already have in hand. As others have noted, adapting the material you've already mastered is the most sure route to ensuring that you have a competent, polished show. Learning new material from scratch (even "self working" material) is going to be a lot riskier.

Finally: what is your library (books and DVDs) like? Depending on what you have, there may be a lot of material you're already sitting on.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Not another kids show (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL