The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A super-close, close-up performance of Matchbox Mystery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
This looks just like the magic makers one. So is penguin selling the magic makers version?The box Rick threw away in the video is the same as magic makers.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Rabid
I think the point of the close-up demo was to clearly show the metal block, not to show that whatever moves are needed can be done right in front of the spectator with them staring at the matchbox / block.

Regards

Steph
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Oy. First: Thanks for the kind words from most of you. And as for those of you who take issue with my performance, here's the deal: When you perform this trick for someone in real life, you can use your body and your presence to misdirect. But when you perform something like this for a webcam...you have to realize that people will be watching on a tiny youtube screen. So I can't misdirect you away from looking at one hand by doing something with the other hand. Or with my face, or with my body. Everything is viewable. So, as a result, I have to perform the trick slightly differently. And seeing how closely these videos are being scrutinized only confirms this.

On the plus side, I guess it's flattering that you guys are watching the videos so closely. Smile

But, yeah, as for doing secret moves and covering them...that kinda IS a big part of magic, right? The fact that I had to do a "move" and did something to "cover" the move is pretty standard stuff. So in conclusion, if you're looking for a 'perfect' trick, the Matchbox Mystery probably isn't for you. I'll give you that. No need for us to fight about it. But if you understand that 'perfect' magic doesn't exist (outside of Harry Potter), and if you're willing to accept that the Matchbox Mystery has like the smallest "move" that needs to be covered or misdirected away from, then I'd say you should give the trick a bit of consideration.

And as for pointing out a second in the clip where something might flash: Um, if you're already familiar with the method of the trick and you know exactly what to look for, yeah, I can see you picking something like this up (or possibly seeing things that aren't even really there), but in the future, let's all realize that there are a lot of people on the Café (like myself) who don't know how all these old tricks work (I didn't know how this worked until a couple months ago), and it's best not to discuss method so openly here on the Café.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Amen
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Would someone who has one of these mind sharing the dimensions of the block at the start of the trick? I'm looking for alternatives to matchbooks in order to make sure I don't run into any issues with fire codes or such, but want to make sure that I'll be able to get something which fits. Even though the workings have been disclosed in this thread, if you would prefer to do this via a message, that would be fine.

Thanks,
Bart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A super-close, close-up performance of Matchbox Mystery (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL