We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
The jumbo deck version is here and is a limited run. The handling of the jumbo deck is even more baffling than the close up version. If interested PM. A video demo of the Jumbo deck will be up soon.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Here is a link for an unedited demo of the JUMBO VERSION so you can do it on stages in front of hundreds of people.
http://youtu.be/n9a-3zo5890
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
908 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Ordering information for the jumbo deck, Devin?
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
UPDATE: The pdf on Lybrary has been updated to include another effect possible with the deck. It is the Happy Birthday Effect. Have a card selected from the deck, no force and the person returns his card while your back is turned. You give the deck one cut and the person spells Happy Birthday and his card turns up. This is great to perform for anyone having a birthday and the PDF gives complete details. Self working.

Those who own the deck will be able to quickly figure out how to do this.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 22:10, Jack Straw wrote:
Ordering information for the jumbo deck, Devin?

The price for this deck sent postpaid anywhere in USA or Canada is just $30.00 (this deck only works for English spelling of the cards)

Click below to order via PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm......ATPWKGVE

OVERSEA CUSTOMERS: Due to recent price increases in postage, I can not send this deck postpaid overseas, as I will go in the hole big time on each one. I can no longer eat the costs of postage. If you want a deck, I ask you to pay $10 toward postage. That doesn't cover all the postage, as I will pay the balance. So the deck is $30 plus 10.00 for postage for a total of $40.00.

Click below to order via PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm......HTPBAWPY

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4738 Posts

Profile of videoman
Purchased the pdf yesterday and have to hand it to Devin. I think this is very clever and an excellent trick.
To be honest, I would recommend getting the pdf from lybrary but either way is fine.
Nice job Devin, thanks for putting this out.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I mentioned this in a PM to Devin and he suggested I share it here. When your volunteer has finished cutting the deck, you can ask her to choose whether to use the top card or the bottom card on the deck. If the bottom card, ask her to pull it off the bottom of the deck . . . and you know what to do from there! The trick still works.

I haven't tried that with an audience yet, but that might be a useful presentational tip for some. Enjoy!

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Comedy Magician
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Joe,

Nice touch. I'm willing to bet that many volunteers will decide to take the bottom card just because it would be so unusual to do so.

Regards, Steve
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
It is wonderful to see so many people enhancing on my idea. I just finished a strolling gig tonight and gave them the choice of top or bottom card while my back was turned. I told them not to tell me which one they took, but to take either the top or bottom card, look at it and push it into the middle of the deck. This seemed to make the trick even more impossible.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1459 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Allowing the spectator to choose either the top or bottom card is a very nice subtlety.

I can confirm that this also works with my deck (as described in the Auto-Spell Deck PDF) enabling you to know the spectator's card (whether top or bottom was chosen) before it is named.

Mike
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1498 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
There is really no reason to have to turn your back so much in this effect. Just do every thing out in the open.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 06:29, magicbyswh wrote:
There is really no reason to have to turn your back so much in this effect. Just do every thing out in the open.

I think turning your back really adds to the effect. It makes it appear that you have no idea where the card is replaced or which card was looked at. I have tried it both ways and with my back turned gets much greater response.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 00:20, Devin Knight wrote:
It is wonderful to see so many people enhancing on my idea. I just finished a strolling gig tonight and gave them the choice of top or bottom card while my back was turned. I told them not to tell me which one they took, but to take either the top or bottom card, look at it and push it into the middle of the deck. This seemed to make the trick even more impossible.

That's cool, Devin! Thanks for sharing it!

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Comedy Magician
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
908 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I just got my Jumbo Deck today, Devin. Thanks for the quick delivery.

Not to pick a fight, but just to point out to you and clarify something here, you state in the instructions that these cards are 4 times the size of a regular deck.

Put a playing card into a copying machine and enlarge it 400%, and you will get a playing card that is 14" x 10". Enlarge it 200% and you will get a playing card that is 7" x 5".

This deck is twice the size of a normal deck.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4738 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 22:08, Jack Straw wrote:
I just got my Jumbo Deck today, Devin. Thanks for the quick delivery.

Not to pick a fight, but just to point out to you and clarify something here, you state in the instructions that these cards are 4 times the size of a regular deck.

Put a playing card into a copying machine and enlarge it 400%, and you will get a playing card that is 14" x 10". Enlarge it 200% and you will get a playing card that is 7" x 5".

This deck is twice the size of a normal deck.

I believe a typical jumbo deck is twice the width and twice the length of a poker size deck.
So it would require 4 poker size cards to occupy the same space as one jumbo card.
I think "4 times the size" may depend on how you define the term, but it seems to be generally accepted that a jumbo card is 4 times the size of a poker card.
With all of the truly false advertising that is running rampant in magic I think the argument you are making is perhaps trying a bit too hard to find fault.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
908 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, honestly,videoman, there is a big difference between "Four times the area" and "Four times the size".

Once again, here are magicians re-defining terms to suit their needs and ignoring reality.

So say it's "Four times the area" and I'll have no problem with it.

This deck is twice the size and four times the area, which are the same thing.

I won't argue because some people here do not have the mathematical knowledge of a 9th grader. I do have that knowledge. The ignorance of others is not my fault or my problem. Mathematical terms are not fuzzy and open to debate. Magic might be, but math is not.

If I read an ad stating that a card is "Four times the size" of a normal deck, I'll be expecting a deck that is 14" x 10", not 7" x 5".

Don't blame me if I get a little PO'd when it's not 14" x 10", because that is what I was expecting.

On the other hand, I paid for and now own both versions of this, and I like it, OK?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
908 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Or how about this-

Instead of saying the cards are "Four times the size of a regular deck" (which is deceptive and not true!), just say that they measure 7" x 5".

Problem solved.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I will update the direction manual. The cards are shown in the video, and it is obvious from the video that the deck is not 14 x 10. I was not trying to be deceptive. It takes 4 regular playing cards to make the size of the jumbo card. Most dealers and magicians refer to a jumbo card as four times the size of a regular card.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I looked a the ad I sent out and it only refers to the deck as jumbo, it does not state the size.
"Performer shows a jumbo deck of cards and fans them out showing it to be a regular deck. He hands the deck to a participant and turns HIS BACK and asks the participant to cut the deck as many times as she likes. Once she has stopped, she is asked to look at the top card, show it to the audience and to bury it in the deck. REMEMBER THE PERFORMER HAS HIS BACK TURNED DURING ALL THIS. THE SELECTION AND RETURN IS 100% HANDS OFF."

I did notice in my script to the audience I mention that the cards are four times the size of a regular card so they show up better.

I will update the patter to say the cards are larger than regular cards, as I feel it would sound awkward to say the cards are 7 x 5.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1459 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I don't see any problems with telling the audience that the cards are four times the size of a regular card. For one thing, they ARE four times the size by any normal reckoning. And even if they weren't, magicians dissemble and exaggerate to their audience all the time.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL