The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
872 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Mike, I don't mind saying that to my audience at all. We can lie to them about it all day long.

Devin, I did not want to pick a fight with you over this.

I did mention that you stated that in the instructions, and all I'm saying is that they are not 4x the size. They are 4x the area. They are not the same thing.

That's all.

If the producers of Jumbo Decks have been calling a 7" x 5" card 4x the size for the last 70 years, they've been deceptive for the last 70 years. If I read a comic book advertising a Jumbo Deck as being 4x the size, I would be thinking that they were 14" x 10". Until it arrived 4 months later and I actually saw what I was getting.

This may seem like a minor point, but I truly am sick of all of the lies and deception that go on in selling a magic trick to magicians.

And I am not forgetting who has deceived me, and I'm not buying from them anymore.

Devin, that does not apply to you because of this. I am not mad at you at all.

I'm just trying to straighten it out.

The cards are twice the size of a regular deck.

Done.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1453 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
In my way of thinking, a card that is 2.5" x 7" is twice the size of a regular poker card (2.5" x 3.5").

How much bigger is this by your calculation Jack?

Mike
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4677 Posts

Profile of videoman
I understand your point Jack Straw but it doesn't crop up as an issue very often because the vast majority of magicians are familiar with the the size of a jumbo deck so they are not expecting cards that are 14"x10".
In fact, this is the first time I remember seeing an issue with regards to the size of jumbo cards.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
There have been many attempts over the last hundred years to create the perfect spelling deck. Joe Berg had a nice one called Auto Spell Deck that worked different from mine. The trouble with most of these decks is that they required secret cue lists or lots of memory. Then too, once the trick was done, in most cases there was a complicated setup to reset the deck. Some the decks required short cards and other key cards. Some of the early decks required referring in some cases to either a Jack or Knave, or Two or Duece depending on which suit was selected. The performer had to remember which name went with what suit. In many cases, the cards were spelled differently. Sometimes you would use OF and other times you wouldn't. You had to remember how to spell the card depending on what it was or have a secret cue list.

Because of this, most performers hated spelling tricks. I spent several years developing my auto spell deck reading everything I could on spelling tricks. I wanted to develope a spelling deck that required no skill, NO MEMORY and had almost instant repeat. The big thing was to NOT HAVE TO MEMORIZE anything. I wanted my deck to be self-working too. Auto Spell is the result of over three years of playing around with potential methods and what I finally released is what I think is the perfect version of the spelling deck that can be done by anyone with no card skill or memory work.

Yes, Michael found a way to do my effect using memory, but the original trick does not require memory. I did not invent the spelling trick as there are thousands of them in print, far too many to even attempt to credit everyone. I did invent this improved deck that overcame the short comings found in other methods.

One last thing, you can not do HANDS OFF unless you use memory. Since my trick prides itself on the fact that NO MEMORY work is needed, proves this is not a copy of Richard's trick.

Just for the record, HANDS OFF fooled me the first time I saw it. I was trying to figure it out based on my method. I was stumped because my method will not work for Hands Off. The clever subtle bit that Richard explains with the Jumbo cards fooled me because I knew it couldn't be done with my deck and it can't. I released my Jumbo deck but it does not use the subtle bit that Richard uses. You can't use his idea with my Jumbo Deck. The trick will not work. Those who have the DVD know what I am reffering too.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
872 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 12:02, Michael Daniels wrote:
In my way of thinking, a card that is 2.5" x 7" is twice the size of a regular poker card (2.5" x 3.5").

How much bigger is this by your calculation Jack?

Mike

I honestly do not want to beat this dead horse, Michael, and I had no intention of returning here to do that.

I can only state this:

You cannot blow up a playing card to 7" x 2 1/2" because you are only taking one dimension to twice the size and not the other.

Go to a copy shop and ask them to enlarge a playing card to twice the size.

You will end up with a card that is 7" x 5".

Go to a copy shop and ask them to enlarge a playing card to 4 times the size and you will end up with a playing card that is 14" x 10".

Or else ask someone with a degree in mathematics what size you would get if you took something that is 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and made it 4 times larger. I guarantee you that she would not say that it would be 7" x 5". I'd bet everything I own against everything that you own on that. But I'd need to see some proof of education before I agree to that bet. The head of Oxford's mathematics department would be fine by me, but I would need to have absolute proof of their credentials before I agree to that.

3.5 x 4 =14, and 2.5 x 4 =10. You must multiply both dimensions by 4 to enlarge something 4 times.

It's that simple. It really is.

I absolutely refuse to say any more about it, OK? I'm done here.

Unless you are going to take me up on that bet. Then I'll further the conversation.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

PS- Two horse sayings in one post- Wow!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
872 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 14:13, videoman wrote:
I understand your point Jack Straw but it doesn't crop up as an issue very often because the vast majority of magicians are familiar with the the size of a jumbo deck so they are not expecting cards that are 14"x10".
In fact, this is the first time I remember seeing an issue with regards to the size of jumbo cards.

And I get it, videoman, I really do.

But if magicians have been calling a standard Jumbo Deck "Four times the size" forever, then they've been wrong forever! From what I see, magicians are not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to things outside of magic.

Me? I graduated from UCLA. The University on the Corner of Lennox Avenue.

But I certainly don't mind telling my audience that the deck is 4x the size of a regular deck.

I probably will say that they are 4x the size in my own presentation.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1609 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
There is a great spelling trick called (Magician v/s Mentalism))by Teo Annemans.
Tricky Ricky
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
In Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks you'll find 'Perfect Spelling Trick'.
The effect is exactly the same.
I don't know Devin's method, so I don't know if the methods are the same.
But it is also true to say " No Sleights, No Skill, No Marked Cards, No Long & Short or Rough & Smooth, NO FORCES OF ANY KIND. Best of all you can do this with nothing to memorize. The card is spelled the same way each time.This ingenious deck is entirely 100% self-working."
Also the Encyclopedia is a lot cheaper and contains hundreds of other tricks too!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 08:08, El Mystico wrote:
In Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks you'll find 'Perfect Spelling Trick'.
The effect is exactly the same.
I don't know Devin's method, so I don't know if the methods are the same.
But it is also true to say " No Sleights, No Skill, No Marked Cards, No Long & Short or Rough & Smooth, NO FORCES OF ANY KIND. Best of all you can do this with nothing to memorize. The card is spelled the same way each time.This ingenious deck is entirely 100% self-working."
Also the Encyclopedia is a lot cheaper and contains hundreds of other tricks too!

This was my inspiration, but it had the person mentally spelling a card as they were removed from his pocket. I think I have improved the method and everyone who is familar with the Perfect Spelling Trick thinks my method is a bit stronger and overcomes one of the weaknesses in that trick.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1453 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
In my edition of the Encyclopaedia (revised 1961) the cards are not spelled from the pocket.

But I agree that Devin's method is cleaner and stronger.

Mike
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I think you must be confusing it with something else; Perfect Spelling Trick does not involve removing cards from the pocket; it is a straight deal from the top of the pack.

(Off topic, but, since you're there, can I think you for your Glass Box Prediction which is fabulous! I often use it to close my mentalism shows)
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Ok .....I have Devins Auto Spell Deck since a week last Friday ....I have used it on Layman with GREAT AMAZEMENT ......I Cannot Explain the strong reactions and I am still reflecting on these.
It does what it says on the tin !

I am an avid Finger Flinger but every now and then I just want to perform something that is straight forward with no funny moves and fancy goings on.
I didn't think too much of spelling effects with cards ...the idea seems lame and childish to me.....boy oh boy was I WRONG !
It's straight forward to perform and done so at either a basic level or the way I prefer which is to perform some mind reading ....and reveal the card....then POW just when they think you have finished you ask them to Spell down to it .....
It's repeatable if you wish ....but how can you top WALKING ON WATER ?
Great for walk around ....
Well presented and written and FINAlly an effect that I didn't feel I was fiddled on after purchase.
If you have any other items similar let me know ...
I'm in !
Keep up the great work.
Thanks Dave .UK
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4677 Posts

Profile of videoman
How are folks handling the inevitable "can you do it again?"
This trick seems like it would possibly prompt that response more than most. Do you just move on to something else or is there an appropriate variation utilizing the spelling theme?
Sorry, but I am not well-versed in spelling effects.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi videoman,

The reset only takes a few seconds, but I would not perform it again for the same group. I would pocket the deck and perform something else Smile

Regards, Steve
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
114 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
I must say this is very clever.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I used the jumbo deck version for a audience of about 50 senior citzens this past Friday at noon-time. The reaction was excellent. I did not repeat it; just did it once
--Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
445 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2014, Devin Knight wrote:
If you buy the PDF and then the cards needed to make the trick, it will cost you about the same as buying the deck from me,
Devin

Mr. Knight, I don't wish to make an outrageous request, so please pardon me if this is one. I bought the PDF from Lybrary.com when it first came out, and liked the trick a lot. But I was reluctant to make up a deck, for reasons I think would be obvious to anyone who knows the way the deck is composed -- it's not difficult to make up the deck, but it perhaps involves a lot of waste. I did not know you were supplying the decks, also, to anyone who bought the trick direct from you. If I can prove that I already have the PDF, which sells for $9.00,could I order the deck alone from you,, for $15.95 ($9.00 less than the full price)? Just a thought. I really would like to do this trick -- it's ingenious, has a powerful effect, and seems very easy to do. Thanks for considering my request.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
862 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Dear Devin,

I am big fan of your work. May I know how it differs from Spelling Deluxe by George Kaplan
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
hansonmagic
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of hansonmagic
Just bought this and it is impressive, but I've got to go buy some more decks...
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
246 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I heard this is the same as Richard Osterlind’s “Hands Off” from his 2012 book Six Shooter. I don't own Six Shooter so I can't verify. Can anyone whose read Six Shooter tell me it's different from Osterlind's version?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL