The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
869 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Thanks, misterillusion!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
As promised, here is an UNEDITED video showing the effect from start to finish. No fancy effects or edits or useless eye candy; just the effect plain and simple so you can make an informed buying decision.

Notice the spectator freely selects a card and returns it to the deck while the magician's back is turned! The cards are NOT MARKED and the magician really does not know which card is selected until the person names the card and spells to it!

http://youtu.be/UVVj-i3h7dQ
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Two methods are supplied with the deck. In the second version, the deck is spread on the table and any card is pulled out by the spectator. Magician squares the deck and turns his back. The spectator looks at her card and cuts off a block of cards and returns the card anywhere she likes (while your back is turned). You turn around and pick up the deck, give it a cut and hand it to her and she spells to her card.

A different video showing this version will be forthcoming in a few days.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Does the card always fall on the next one after the spelling of its name, as in the video demo, or it sometimes falls on the last letter ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 06:25, doriancaudal wrote:
Does the card always fall on the next one after the spelling of its name, as in the video demo, or it sometimes falls on the last letter ?


Sometimes it falls on the last letter, but the effect is the same as you say the person will spell to their card. Either ending is equally strong.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 06:29, Devin Knight wrote:
Either ending is equally strong.


I completely agree.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4681 Posts

Profile of RNK
Very nice demo! Looks look really good. Great job Devin! Only one cut by the magician and everything else is hands off. Gotta love that!

RNK
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
689 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Thanks, Devin, for one more 'gem'

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4681 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 09:47, misterillusion wrote:
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Thanks, Devin, for one more 'gem'

Charlie


Thanks for the review Charlie. This looks like a hit! I to feel Devin is an incredible creator of magic. Great ability to "Think Outside The Box". And not to mention, Devin is always available to answer questions if you have any!

RNK
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Just ordered it. Looks like a terrific effect.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 09:47, misterillusion wrote:
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Thanks, Devin, for one more 'gem'

Charlie


Thank you for that nice review. Glad you enjoy it and will be using it. I think most people who buy this will use it and that this effect will not wind up stuck in a drawer some place.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
689 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 18:44, Devin Knight wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 09:47, misterillusion wrote:
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Thanks, Devin, for one more 'gem'

Charlie


Thank you for that nice review. Glad you enjoy it and will be using it. I think most people who buy this will use it and that this effect will not wind up stuck in a drawer some place.


You are quite welcome. I would not give it a glowing review unless I really felt it was deserving. This is deserving for sure. I purchase a lot of magic. For me I think it is almost like an obsession. I do quite a few shows and my basic "A" show is used over and over for different audiences. Out of the volume of magic I have purchased over the years (I have been doing this professionaly for over 17 years), every now and then I add an effect to my playlist. The addition usually replaces some other effect in my playlist. The replaced item then goes into my "B" show. This does not happen very often because I have a show which has been created purely on audience entertainment. My wife (my on stage assistant) watches the audience reactions to everything I do, and based on her input changes are made to the act with one goal in mind: audience entertainment. The reason I am telling you this is because I believe this will be becoming a big part of my closeup and strolling magic playlist for sure. Parlor will also be given a test, but I think it will play well there too. I have a show coming up on Saturday but it is a children's show so I will not use it there, but I have an adult show next week on Thursday which will be a good testing ground (strolling and stage).

This a real fooler and I LOVE the simplicity

--Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for putting up a fair demo. After watching it I was immediately reminded of an effect that starts exactly the same way then ends with counting instead of spelling: I'm speaking of Osterlind's Hands off from 2012.

Further differences:
- Osterlind does not have to touch the deck again!
- With his back turned he estimates a number at which the spectator's card will be found
- and still he is able to name the card before it is turned over or the spectator said a word.

Maybe it's because I see no real point in spelling (just a matter of taste thingy) but yes, I prefer Osterlind's approach. Yet with the knowledge of said effect, I think any seasoned card worker can figure out the rest how the Auto Spell Deck actually differs and make up their mind if they would want to purchase it.

Nonetheless, I think Devin devised a clever sequence here, which, however, from what I see should not be so easy to reproduce in German, for example.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Here is a table comparison between french and english, concerning the number of letters for each card. Identical spelling numbers are in yellow. Those who have this deck, can you then tell if this will be possible in french ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/18/gsog.png
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
The effect is possible in French. You will need to make some changes, but once you have the deck and see how it works it will be easy to make a deck to work in French.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 04:08, Nicolino wrote:
Thanks for putting up a fair demo. After watching it I was immediately reminded of an effect that starts exactly the same way then ends with counting instead of spelling: I'm speaking of Osterlind's Hands off from 2012.

Further differences:
- Osterlind does not have to touch the deck again!
- With his back turned he estimates a number at which the spectator's card will be found
- and still he is able to name the card before it is turned over or the spectator said a word.

Maybe it's because I see no real point in spelling (just a matter of taste thingy) but yes, I prefer Osterlind's approach. Yet with the knowledge of said effect, I think any seasoned card worker can figure out the rest how the Auto Spell Deck actually differs and make up their mind if they would want to purchase it.

Nonetheless, I think Devin devised a clever sequence here, which, however, from what I see should not be so easy to reproduce in German, for example.


You can do this effect without the magician cutting the deck, but I feel then it appears to be self-working to a person. In my opinion, when you take the deck and cut it. The spectators think you did something to make it work and give you credit for doing something very clever. Actually, the magician did nothing. If you don't cut the deck it appears too self-working or TOO PERFECT, therefore I added in cut.

Monk Watson wrote that one time he did a HANDS OFF bill in lemon and that he got better response by picking up the lemon just for a few seconds to show it. At this point, the spectators thought somehow he had done something sneaky and some how had put the bill in the lemon. He said he got better response by the audience and always picked up the lemon.

I have tried the deck both ways and I always get better response when I cut the cards...otherwise the effect looks too perfect....(I know about there is the argument of no trick being too perfect, but I have respectfully disagree.)
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I have had magicians who have the deck and ask me if I think they should do the trick without cutting the deck and I always tell them "NO." Then I explain why I think they should. Its up to you. Its your deck, so use it how you want to.

I am familiar with Richard's trick and my method is a bit different. It is possible to cut the cards and tell the person where his card lies and have him count down to it, I have played around with this too with the deck, but from real world experience, having the person spell to their card seems to play better and is more commercial.

When the person counts, it appears to be another math based counting trick. There are too many self-working card tricks that involve counting. The spelling of the card disguises the fact that this is actually a counting trick and throw people off the track that this may be a math based effect.

Just my opinion, but that is why I devised the deck as a spelling effect and a good one at that since it requires no memory as many spelling tricks do.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for pointing out, Devin!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Anyone else care to review their deck?
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2070 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Devin,

Checked the tracking today and it looks like mine should arrive (hopefully) on Monday, so I'll be able to give a review some time after then.

Regards, Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL