We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Looking forward to your review.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Devin,
If I cut is NOT needed, why NOT ask the spectator to cut the deck?
Best,
Jeff
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
That is possible if you follow my directions, but that defeats the purpose of it appearing that the magician cut the card to a special position. Totally hands off tricks do not give the magician credit. Just my opinion.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I just realized that mail will not be delivered on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day, so I'll probably have to wait until Tuesday :-(

Regards, Steve
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Anyone else who has received the deck could "care" ( Smile ) to review it ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
814 Posts

Profile of magico
Watching the demo It reminded me of a effect I read in a old book. It also used a gimmick deck except in this version the cards are placed in the spectators pocket and they mentally spell their card and think stop on the last letter as the magician removes cards from their pocket. The magician then stops pulling cards out of their pocket stating they just thought stop and ask them to name their card and shows them the last card he pulled out of their pocket is their card.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3746 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I received yesterday and performed it for my kids today as a test run. It played just like the description. It got a terific reaction so far. While they are polite,they are honest and critical. It was super easy to do with no sleights. YOu can do it after 5 minutes of reading the well written instructions. The deck comes ready to use. The instructions are 6 pages in length (3 double sides pages). You cannot use this deck for any thr rouine but I would carry this deck just to perform this routine.

Highly recommended.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Here is another video showing a different handling of the deck. This is the spread and take a card, but the spectator returns the card anywhere while your back is turned. Still you are able to do the trick!
http://youtu.be/sctXImnn5Dk
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
814 Posts

Profile of magico
You can buy the PDF only at http://www.lybrary.com and make up the deck yourself. I purchased it and found that the deck is similar to the one I mention above.
dscanning
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of dscanning
Question for Devin...
You say that the spectator can stick his card anywhere back into the deck...what do you do if the spectator sticks it near the very top of the pack, let's say, for example, 8th from the top? What do you do, or say when 'this' happens?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 02:21, dscanning wrote:
Question for Devin...
You say that the spectator can stick his card anywhere back into the deck...what do you do if the spectator sticks it near the very top of the pack, let's say, for example, 8th from the top? What do you do, or say when 'this' happens?

Look at the video and you'll see that he says to put it somewhere near the middle... That's all it takes to avoid him/her placing the card near the very top, I suppose...
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I have found that most spectators will stick the card into the middle of the deck, but you can say to the spectator to please insert his card somewhere near the middle of the deck. This never been a problem for me. If you don't trust the spectator to follow your directions, then don't turn your back. You can still do the trick basically hands off but watch the spectator as he returns the card. If he starts to put it too close to the top, just say, "Don't make it easy on me, put it near the middle so it is really lost in the deck."

In the second video demo, you see I tell the girl to cut off half the deck. I have found this to be 100% reliable. If you tell someone to cut off half the deck, he or she will do that. Few people, if any or going to lift off a few cards, when you reach over, naturally you will lift off a third or more of the deck.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I received this deck today, and it is really good. I made an adaptation for this to work in french, because as supplied, almost half the deck needs to be changed for other cards (at least for french language). Those interested can pm me a proof of purchase [what is the value of the highest card seen on the picture of the explanation ?] and I will be happy to give you my setup for this miracle to work in french.
To sum up, because it's better that long boring text, here are the main points to remember:

Good points:
- deck is supplied
- clear explanations
- almost hands off, you only have to cut the deck
- when you know the selected card, you never touche the cards again

Minor points:
- no crediting
- some typos in the text
- deck cannot be used for other effects

I give this effect 8/10, powerful and nice.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Apparently the holiday has delayed the delivery of my deck. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow (can you tell I'm excited to start working with this?) Smile

Regards, Steve
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 11:03, yachanin wrote:
Apparently the holiday has delayed the delivery of my deck. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow (can you tell I'm excited to start working with this?) Smile

Regards, Steve

I ran the tracking number too, it should be there tomorrow.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

My deck arrived today and it didn't take long to see that some very clever thinking went into this. As others have said, the instructions are clear and easy to follow. The procedure is simple and it won't take long until you are comfortable and confident enough to give it a try. I had a chance to perform it twice today and it worked like a charm each time. The reactions were a mix of, "no way!" and a shocked, "how the h=ll could you possibly do that?" Each was smiling as I walked away Smile

I used the second method (i.e., spreading the cards and allowing the volunteer to remove a card) because I like how that plays better than allowing the volunteer to cut the cards. Both methods, however, are easy and no sleight of hand is necessary. The reset is simple and only takes a few seconds.

I'll be working on my own storyline to fit my persona, but I will be using this. Congratulations, Devin, on another winner!

Regards, Steve
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks Steve for your review, that is the kind of reaction I get when I perform this.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I performed it also, and the reaction was really nice, better than I expected actually.

I like to say that I realize difficult cuts, triple cuts, etc., and they are stunned Smile They truly believe you are a mentalist / card master at the same time !
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 06:34, doriancaudal wrote:
I performed it also, and the reaction was really nice, better than I expected actually.

I like to say that I realize difficult cuts, triple cuts, etc., and they are stunned Smile They truly believe you are a mentalist / card master at the same time !

Do you see this as a potential mentalism effect? I have found with lay people this is one of the most baffling card effects I can do. It just doesn't seem possible and you can repeat it at the next table. If you were counting down to the card you couldn't repeat it as people would catch on at the next table, but the spelling of the cards name conceals the principle and you can do it for every table in a restaurant with different results. How you could place a card returned to the deck while you back is turned to a position it can be spelled to is totally unfathomable to spectators.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Without giving any secrets away, before you start the trick, can you spread the cards FU on the table to show quickly or spread maybe half the deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL