The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book Recomendation - Not Cards/Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Crowslide
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Crowslide
I've got $100 to spend on magic at Stevens and to be honnest I'm a little fed up with cards and coins. I'd like to do more magic with other stuff and am looking for the best route to go. I realize I could spend the money on actuall effects like Dreamweaver, Just passing through, ect.. but I've found that with books you tend to get more for your money.

Can anyone reccomend a really good book (or video) that has the least ammount of card/coin magic.. but really good close up other stuff?
I've got AoA 1,2,3 already
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader" is a video that gives you a tremendous number of ring and string moves. It comes with the ring and special string (security cord) that provides the motivation for his main routine. At the end of the tape, there are even several things you can do with the ring (without the cord) such as a spoon through ring, etc. Although the tape is narrow in scope in that it only deals with ring and string magic, you'll know a lot about ring and string if you haven't been exposed to this before. None of the moves are terribly difficult. My experience is that his basic routine goes over big every time. It's something you can easily cary...you can use a borrowed ring so all you have to cary is the cord. It can even be done impromptu if you want to borrow a shoelace or something else (although I like his motivational ploy using the cord that comes with the tape).
Hope this provides you with one possibility.
Nicholas
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Tarbell might work for you, I guess.

Smile
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I really love Michael weber's life savers - try it out.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Have you considered a non-trick book such as "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz?
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Consider Aldo Colombini's videos including Classics of Magic and the 4 volume Lasting Impressions. There is great magic with ropes, balls, rings etc. Of course there is card and coin magic but his stuff is really good. Also I recommend Johnny Thomson's Commercial Classics 4 volume series. It includes magic with knives, chains, balls, etc. Smile
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1752 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
T.A. Waters' "Mind, Myth and Magick" has a lot of killer mentalism effects in it.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1803 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Jerry Mentzer has a real good Close-Up series of books not including cards. You also could try to find The Complete Enyclopedia of Close Up Magic by Walter Gidson.As well as what someone mentioned earlier the Tarbell Course which is NEVER outdated....
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Tarbell is on the list. I want to up the ante and say something else, but without knowing what kind of field you want I really can't give you an idea. If you want just general magic, go for some of the Tarbell course. You won't be disappointed. If you have Tarbell already let us know so we can make other suggestions.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
Encycclopedia of impromptu magic by Martin Gadner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book Recomendation - Not Cards/Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL