The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Caution: Silver Sceptor Purchase (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Was looking for a Deluxe Silver Sceptor. Sold out everywhere. Found a regular Silver Scepter on Ebay (new). Got it today. The elastic is so weak that it's useless. This one was made in India. Here's the link, so that others may not be disappointed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Scepter-M......65ba24aa
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Michael, I have an extra one I do not use. Send me your address on PM and I will ship it out to you. You can have it. I hate when I hear about people getting ripped off.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Would it be serviceable if you replaced the elastic?
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
575 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I replaced my elastic the same day I got my. This is a great item.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2362 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I was at the magic warehouse in Baltimore just a few days ago and they had a few, I actually played with one to see if I would like it and I did like it.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
993 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Change the elastic and it will work a treat.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I took a closer look, after reading your suggestions to replace the elastic, and I'm not sure it can be changed, unless one cuts off the old and wedges something down in each tip when putting the new elastic in. I may give that a try, but I'm going to contact the seller and let him know about the problem.

Tommy, I'm sending you a PM. Thanks for your very generous offer. I want to compare the two wands to see if, maybe someone in India is selling a substandard model. The instructions do seem to sound genuine though. After I've compared the two, I'll give you ghuys a heads=up on my findings.

Again, thanks for all the input.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
993 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Can I suggest you contact John Breeds. In his great book he has a section on the silver sceptre. In it he details how to change the elastic and it's quite easy to follow.

Here's a simple way. You will have to cut the old elastic and get it the end bits removed from the ends. Put the new elastic through the smaller end of the end bits, and tie a few knots on the end of the elastic and try it to make sure it will definitely stay in the end piece when you do the trick. Then thread the elastic through the wand and stretch it about and inch or so and use a safety pin through the elastic to hold it in that position. Then thread the elastic through the other end piece and try and do the same as the other end. I did this about 2 years back with mine and I'm still using it now for over 500 shows and it's still hanging in there. Try to get elastic thread that has at least 35% elastin. <----important
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2362 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Can someone tell us where to get good elastic.my local hobby shop only has the cheap kind.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
451 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Go to a store that sells fabric and they will carry the elastic you need. Look on the percentage of rubber in the elastic and get the highest percent you can buy. It comes in different ratios of rubber vs. polyester.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Good quality elastic is easily available......and the simplest knot for the job is a "sliding stop knot" (look it up), with two or maybe three loops. To feed the elastic through the tube, simply pass a thin string through first, and tie it to the elastic. Push it through the small end holes with a thin metal spike of some kind (a nail works fine).
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Dave the elastic I purchased was from A. C. Moore called Stretchrite it is 1/4 inch x 3 yards. Also check places like Joannes fabric shop and even places like WalMart.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2362 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Thanks everyone for the tips. Very helpful.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-01-11 05:50, garydunn wrote:
Best one on the market today:

http://www.practical-magic.com/component......Itemid=0

+1
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Matman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Matman
Wow, this is great information. I wish I had seen this before. I've been through two silver sceptres. Pardon the pun, but this info is gold.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Al Kazam wrote "Then thread the elastic through the wand and stretch it about and inch or so and use a safety pin through the elastic to hold it in that position." I'll add, "give the wand a trial run." I re-elasticed [a new word for the dictionary?} my silver wand and it wasn't right, but I didn't find out until after I had sewed the new elastic in! Silly me. I haven't yet gotten round to re-cutting the elastic to fix it so I can use it.
The presentation makes the magic.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Absolutely brilliant information in this thread. I'm thinkin' that it was worth getting a bad wand, if it lead to all these valuable tips. I looked at the link that Gary posted. They have a covered model that looks really interesting. I may just take the plunge and order that one. Let me count my pennies. Smile Thanks a million, gentlemen. Keep it coming.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I shipped my extra one to you Tuesday mike. You should get it soon. I had a few extras. I've always replaced the elastic on mine. It's not too hard but you have to find the right elastic.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Got it today, Tommy. Thanks a million. The elastic is much, much better. Don't know when I'll add it to the show, but but I really appreciate your help. I'll take a look at your catalogue as well. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Caution: Silver Sceptor Purchase (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL