The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Magic for free at children's playhouse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndreJ
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Don't know if you have commercial playgrounds, but in my local area we have three "advanced" playgrounds that charges the children about 10 usd to come in and play. Parents are let in free.

I figured this would be perfect spot for practice since I'm not ready to take on paid gigs yet. Most of the parents are quite bored, there are several children who would love to see magic, and the overall theme of the place is that of joy and play.

I know some would argue that doing magic for free is bad, but I figure I exchange my time for experience and then it's not really for free.

Has anyone tried this approach?
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and went pro.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
We have several indoor play businesses that specialize in birthday parties. They have been more than willing to allow me to come in and perform about 20 minutes at a time each hour throughout their busiest times. They have even promoted me through their advertising and social media to attract new business. In turn, I am allowed to promote myself and hand out cards and flyers to book birthday parties. They have all allowed me to sell my BOR items as well. Not a bad way for some targeted marketing for your birthday business. I don't have to commit far in advance, so I have been able to book last minute parties without having to cancel my free promotional gig.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
It is much better to practice in front of a 'free' audience instead of screwing up royally at a paid gig. This allows you to work on routines and to gain confidence in what you are doing. It is a place to hone your skills.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
I don't think performing for free is bad at all. Especially if you're trying to get that experience that only comes from actually performing for real live people. I wish I had as perfect as a place you're describing to go and practice and gain that experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Magic for free at children's playhouse (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL