The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Jimmy Fingers' Rope-U-Tation (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Just saw Jimmy Fingers' performance of Rope-U-Tation on his Penguin Live Lecture. My reaction to this was "What did I just see?" Nice pacing and really interesting visuals. He mentions that he'll be releasing this with Penguin, and was curious if they are shooting for a 2014 release. Really excited about this.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Did he teach it on the Penguin Live lecture?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
No. It was performance-only. Basically a comedy rope-thru-body routine.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I won't be doing any further business with penguin magic under any circumstances. it is available directly through me, by email request only.

Jimmy
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Well, that begs the question "why not?"

Enquiring minds want to know...ok nosy magicians want to know. Lol
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Jimmy, they are still selling your lecture as a download for $30. Are the rumours true that they are going broke?
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Broke? Penguin Magic broke? Say it ain't so "Joe".

Anyway, I wondered why they would have Jimmy only perform the piece, but at least it wasn't in the preview (and hence implying that it was included and taught). JF, however is certainly free to teach whatever he wants.

Either way, I would like to see PM give a list of the contents. PM said they are doing that for some /recent lectures, but not for the older ones.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
So, is it released by penguin magic or any other company so far?
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Shakuni, it will be available again through me, directly, I'll pm you more info when I have some more in stock.

Thanks,

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Paddy, I'M going broke, considering the amount of money that I was promised vs. how much I was actually paid!

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi everyone,

I have Rope-u-tation in stock if you're still interested or if you know anyone else interested in getting one. I only have a dozen at this time, and they'll go fast, so let me know if you want one. They're $85 shipped free in the U.S., $95 international shipping. Payable via Paypal ID imagique@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Paul Nathan's performance on 30 Seconds to Fame

Please note that it's at the 27 second mark, and Paul doesn't have the current version that allows instant reconnect/disconnect and slack in the rope. It's an older, unimproved version that I sold back in the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mKEw_xtkN8

Jimmy
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Who sells the best rtb.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I now have Rope-u-tation, the ultimate rope through body illusion for stage or parlor, IN STOCK!!!

Please pay via PayPal, $85.00 USD, shipped in the USA, $95.00 for the effect, shipped internationally

Paypal ID imagique@gmail.com

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
A popular video being circulated highlights my Rope-u-tation being utilized by a performer, Hakan Berg, who did not purchase it from me. It was given to him by another creator/lecturer, Tom Stone . My creations are being stolen and sold worldwide, while I struggle to survive at a below poverty level of income. I didn't expect that a respected member of the magic community like Tom Stone would be passing out my creation without consideration of my business and existence. Shame on you. Offering to "credit me", thanking me, or giving a testimonial of "how brilliant my work is" just doesn't get it. If a performer is using my intellectual property and product, especially in major, paying stage presentations and viral internet videos, he should purchase the item from me.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Something not clear, if Tom Stone purchased it, or received it from you in some form, what's the harm in giving it to a magician that will use it. All the magic I have given to other magician, winds up being sold by them to others. So I stopped giving an magic effect away.

I realize you are victim the Texas storm, and devastation.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
He purchased it, and then refers to it as "ours", his and Hakan Berg's. I sold one to Tom, he 'gifted' what he believes to be the right to copy it, distribute it, pass along the video tutorial... to someone else. The person who is now doing it never purchased it from me. I was not contacted about the distribution of my intellectual property. Does Tom want me passing along his videos to other people? No, I don't think so.

If someone is 'giving' away my routine and they make another rope gimmick based on mine, they're not supporting me. I don't want my material in people's hands if I'm not being compensated.

I have a lot of things being knocked off. I want to be aware of who has any of my products, so that when someone uses it on TV or media, I can verify that they bought one.

The magic consumer thinks that if he bought it from someone, that he has the right to distribute it to others. If it happens, and I'm aware of it, I have every right to question that product being stolen.

Also, there is a training/instructional video that goes with this prop. It's secret. It's the purchase of a secret. Passing it along is not conducive to my control over MY material and my work.

Two magicians, Tom Stone and Hakan Berg, have become privileged to my workings, secret, assembly, research, nuances, routining... Is it too much to ask them to have each purchased one instead of them sharing one?

I have no protection in this industry. Don't buy my stuff and reveal it to others. Seriously. Or I will call you out.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
The rope in the video is your rope that you sold to Tom or did they make a copy?
I understand your insult of the inventor. And you must receive compensation. But in the end - there are two types of magicians - who can earn and those who do not know how. Hakan Berg is the one who can. I do not know all the details - but you could contact him. And use his presentation for their own benefit and advertising their products. Always look for a way to make a profit out of a bad game.
~
The problem is that many magicians do not know how to sell their tricks and earn. There is a number without losing strategies.

I'm a big fan of your ideas! Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2017, magic4545 wrote:
Is it too much to ask them to have each purchased one instead of them sharing one?

It is not too much to ask.
Unfortunately, my suggestion of doing just that could not reach you, since you blocked my messages directly after jumping to conclusions and accusing me of all sorts of nastiness.

Besides being a performer, I am also a consultant to other performers. Since I have the contacts, it is often simplest and easiest that I handle the whole process from research to purchase.
It should really not be considered odd that in a team, it can be one person doing the purchase and another performing it.

In December 2008, I decided that a rope penetration á la Jeff Stewart would be perfect for a show that my friend Håkan Berg was about to put together.
There were things in it that I didn't like, so I did some research to see if I could find any improvements to the basic idea, and in doing so, I found your brilliant piece that took it to a whole other level.

The first time I contacted you regarding your creation was in July 3 2009. By then I was well aware of what your routine consisted of.
In my very first email I inquired about purchasing the performance rights, and about the possilities of purchasing exclusive rights for a specific geographical area. Had that been possible, I would have bought those rights for HÃ¥kan.
But in your reply you said that your routine currently wasn't available.
You also mentioned Bob Sheets's Hang'em High.

In my next email, on July 4 2009, I explained that I wasn't interested in Bob's routine, as I considered yours so be far superior. I also wrote:
Quote:
Jimmy,
Thanks for your fast reply!
I am well aware of the predecessors and your improvements.
(SNIP)
If you ever decide to release the effect, or would consider selling just a small number to a select clientèle, I would be most grateful if I could be alerted.

And, for goodwill, I then offered you all my ebooks as a gift.

Then the years passed, and then suddenly you made your creation available again. Available to anyone who paid the amount you asked for.
Since my friend HÃ¥kan didn't have any paypal account, I bought it for him around February/March 2013.
There were no questions asked from your side. My former questions about the performance rights seemed irrelevant to you. When your shipment arrived, I brought it directly to rehearsal and handed the packet over to HÃ¥kan, unopened. To date, I have not even held the props in my own hands. But I have been very much involved in the rehearsals of the piece, as an director. That is the reason I say "we" and "us" when I talk about HÃ¥kan's performance of your piece.

Quite franky, I have no idea what I could have done differently.
In my mind, I have gone beyond what most others do, as I've inquired about not only the props and the routine, but about the performance rights as well. If I had been a crook, I wouldn't have waited patiently for 4 years until you made your work available again. But I did wait, and I have followed everything you asked for to the letter.

So it was highly surprising when your responded with anger, when I sent you the performance link and thanked you for your great work.
So I asked what we could do to make you happy, and suggested several things... maybe a more visible credit in the video? ...maybe some enthusiastic quote for you to use in your marketing?
I was about to offer you more money as well, but by then, you had decided that you weren't interested in any resolutions and had blocked my messages.

So once again, what is necessary for you to be happy?
Besides HÃ¥kan, there are 3 more people in his team. I'm magic consultant & director, and there's a musician and a sound&lights guy, all equally involved. If it is necessary that we buy a total of 4 copies, in order for one to perform, then that is what we will do. Gladly.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2017, magic4545 wrote:
Does Tom want me passing along his videos to other people? No, I don't think so.

I have no wish to be confrontational, but this is an assumption that unfortunately isn't correct.

More than once, people have got my work as a birthday or christmas gift, bought by their spouses/girlfriends.
Several times, my works have been performed by magicians after their production companies have bought it for them.
And Jon Armstrong once bought the props for my "Of Dice and Men", and immediately turned around and gave it as a gift to Rob Zabrecky who have performed it since then.
So no, you are more then welcome to buy my work as a gift to anyone. Doesn't bother me at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Jimmy Fingers' Rope-U-Tation (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL