The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Drawing on a silk.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
For an effect I am working on I need to draw on a silk. Anyone done this?? What type of markers etc...
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I have done this a few times. Usually with good results. If you are drawing an outline of something, like a dog, a bunny, etc...I have had luck with regular sharpie markers. I usually draw the pix on paper of the right size, then put the silk over the pix and draw thru. If I was a great artist I would not have to do it that way. You can also get fabric markers at craft stores but the sharpie has worked well, and aged well, for me.

I did, on one occasion, have a problem with a fabric where the ink "bled". I drew the lines and, I could see the ink bleed out from my neat lines. In this case I ended up actually spray painting, thru a stencil, the pix on the item...a white towel. But generally, with the finer fabrics such as magicians silks are made from, you should be okay. You could, of course, try a sample first.

quack

I
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Over the years I have experimented with several methods of doing this. The quickest and easiest is the Sharpie pen. Do wash it in Woolite a week or so later and before storing it next to other silks.

Don't forget that the silk can also be colored.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Bob,

I used a permanent sharpie pen for a custom silk and when it was completely dry and you got it wet the color would bleed. Should I not have used the permanent type?

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

I have not had that problem with real Sharpie pens.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They sell fabric markers at the hobby store. To set any color into fabric, wash in with a little white vinegar.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Drawing on a silk.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL