The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Is this important to you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
"Shame, Looks like this issue is only important to the two of us Regan. Would have thought others would have spoke up."
(in the T.L.R. Christmas post by Regan.)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-01-12 20:18, Mr. Danny wrote:
"Shame, Looks like this issue is only important to the two of us Regan. Would have thought others would have spoke up."
(in the T.L.R. Christmas post by Regan.)

I do not see the post of which you speak, so, to assume that no one cares may me problematic. Do you have a link to the post/thread?

In Christ,
Vlad
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
It is posted in the IBM section.
As I am not a member of IBM, the answer to "Is this important to you?" for me is no.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Did anyone see the comment someone wrote - that he didn't think his Talent was from GOD - ??? Who (what) else that SATAN??? Ralph (P/M would be appreciated - too lazy?? to run forums - ha ha )
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don’t read the IBM forum, nor do I get the Linking Ring. However, I am concerned about the overall declining in popularity Christianity. Maybe concerned is not the right word--I’m saddened by it. I pray for a revival but if am to trust in God I need to trust that this is His plan and all things are working for the good.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Ken:

We are, sadly, living in a Post-Christian world. Society no longer cares about Christian tradition or ethics. Christianity is being pushed to the fringes of society.

Heck, even the various branches of Christianity have a heckuva difficult time cooperating with one another toward a common goal.

A number of years ago, I organized a local concert for a friend of mine who is a Christian Recording Artist. I asked for help from the various churches in the area. I am a Catholic. I had one pastor (a Baptist) tell me that they won't support the concert because they believe Catholics aren't Christian. It just so happens that the recording artist is a BAPTIST...but this guy was so closed-minded that he couldn't see the common good of having a family-friendly Christian concert to kick off our county fair.

Before another pee-ing match begins, I am NOT suggesting that all Baptists are closed-minded or prejudiced against those that don't think the same way they do. In fact, one of the Churches that DID help was, in fact, Baptist.

We need to all remain faithful...do what we are called to do...and allow God to make use of us to fit His grand plan.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-01-13 16:43, Mike Maturen wrote:
Ken:

We are, sadly, living in a Post-Christian world. Society no longer cares about Christian tradition or ethics. Christianity is being pushed to the fringes of society.

Heck, even the various branches of Christianity have a heckuva difficult time cooperating with one another toward a common goal.

A number of years ago, I organized a local concert for a friend of mine who is a Christian Recording Artist. I asked for help from the various churches in the area. I am a Catholic. I had one pastor (a Baptist) tell me that they won't support the concert because they believe Catholics aren't Christian. It just so happens that the recording artist is a BAPTIST...but this guy was so closed-minded that he couldn't see the common good of having a family-friendly Christian concert to kick off our county fair.

Before another pee-ing match begins, I am NOT suggesting that all Baptists are closed-minded or prejudiced against those that don't think the same way they do. In fact, one of the Churches that DID help was, in fact, Baptist.

We need to all remain faithful...do what we are called to do...and allow God to make use of us to fit His grand plan.

Beautifully stated Mike!

I would only add that people like Jack Chick really create a lot of problems and unfortunately, a lot of people buy into Chick's lies. I have seen more than a few websites whose sole purpose is to attack other denominations. I don't want to pollute this thread with links to these hate sites, but, I am certain you have run into them.

I always bear in mind Christ's promise that we shall all be as one for He shall not desert us. In these trying secular times, He is STILL with us as our loving parent, and He loves even those who hate Him and He loves those who do not believe in Him. Western Europe is horribly secular with the exception of Ireland, and believe me, it's a challenge to believe that there is hope, but, as hope comes from God, it MUST be there and we MUST believe. Smile

In Christ,
Vlad
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
My Grandmother had 13 children that survied into adulthood and her grandchildren were mixed denominations. The grandchildren had no problems getting along! And, we don't to this day!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Amen, Vlad! Yes, I have run into the idiotic Jack Chick comic book lie sheets...I mean tracts...I usually find them in public restrooms, which is--in my opinion--exactly where they belong!

Mr. Danny...that's great to hear! I get along well with all of my non-Catholic family members, too! It probably helps that I spent 18 years wandering around in Porotestantism before I returned home to the Catholic Church...so I deeply understand their faith, as well as my own.

VLAD----you need to come stateside, buddy, so we can sip voluminous amounts of coffee and chat into the wee hours of the morning!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
I wasn't sure who Jack Chicks was, so as with everything else, I googled it. And I have seen his work before, but never his "Catholic" work. My jaw dropped and my stomach turned. I have many acquaintances in the fundamental Baptist movement and there is a growing concern with their lack of love and compassion for me. I don't mean to paint with a broad brush, but I would venture a guess that no one was converted by one of those "Catholic" tracts. This is coming from a protestant by the way.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Mediocre: Even when I was a Baptist preacher, I despised those tracts. I thought they were hateful and, well, ignorant. They were also full of lies about what the Catholic Church teaches. I figure if an evangelist starts off with a lie or a faulty premise, the rest of what he says isn't worth paying attention to either.

When I find those tracts in toilets, I generally throw them away.

Phone booths (a thing of the past) is the other place they could usually be found. It seems as though the folks trying to get those tracts out were ashamed to be handing them out publicly. Smile
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
As an ordained minister serving in a loving church (Baptist), I am angry. I see this hatred and can only think THIS is one of the reasons churches want to remove the word "Baptist" from their church marquees.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yes. Groups like Chick and the Westboro Baptist Church give Baptists a horrible name. Luckily, they comprise only a very small minority of Baptists.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
This is an interesting discussion to be having as we approach the annual Week of Prayer For Christian Unity (Jan 18-25)! Let's all pray during these eight days (and beyond) that Christ's body may be reunited in our lifetimes. With mounting opposition (and threats) in many parts of the world including our own, Christian unity is increasingly critical. The divided church is a scandal that has gone on far too long.

Here's a short snippet from a Catholic website:
Pope Francis's prayer intention for evangelization for January 2014 is "that Christians of diverse denominations may walk toward the unity desired by Christ." The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity takes place every year from January 18-25. As we join our voices to those of Christ Himself, Who prayed that all Christians may be one as He and His Father are one, we can join in the Holy Father's prayer intentions...

Here's some general information about this long-running event: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachin......nity.cfm

And here's an interesting commentary I found about the event in 2014: http://www.archchicago.org/blog/comments.aspx?postID=414

God Bless,
Rob
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Amen, Rob...I join my prayer with yours, as we agree together with Jesus' final pastoral prayer...that we may all be as One.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 10:05, mediocre_magic wrote:
As an ordained minister serving in a loving church (Baptist), I am angry. I see this hatred and can only think THIS is one of the reasons churches want to remove the word "Baptist" from their church marquees.

I find this tragic that legitimate Baptist churches feel they should remove the word "Baptist" from their marquees. Westboro Baptist is not a Baptist church and from what I understand, it is not recognized by any Baptist conference at all.

While not a hate group, I recently found a site that claims to be the Celtic Orthodox Church. What's disturbing is that there IS a Celtic Orthodox Church that is in communion with Eastern Orthodoxy but, this site that I found the other day, while labeling itself as Celtic Orthodox is not THE Celtic Orthodox Church which is recognized. While Westboro "Baptist" is the most visible because of their hate, I am concerned that more of these pseudo-churches are cropping up to snare the unwary.

Another is the The Church of Jesus Christ-Christian. This is ANYTHING but Christian as it was founded by the Aryan Nations movement.

While differences among true believing Christian churches do exist, I do wish that we could somehow create a cross denominational educational effort to get people aware of these pseudo-churches as well as groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses who use the language of Christianity but are not Christian. Ignorance is one of Satan's main weapons and we cannot and must not allow our doctrinal differences to create the confusion the Prince of Lies needs to spread his false teachings.

The Church was under siege in its earliest days and St. Paul's epistles addressed many of these early challenges. These challenges were defeated. I think we can do it again. NO legitimate church should EVER have to change its name or remove its name from its grounds because of these deceivers.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
I started this thread with a bit of fustration that so many want to take the "Reason" out of the Season! I am a Christan, and such things bother me a lot. Sorry if I came on a bit strong. Mr. Danny
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 21:07, Mr. Danny wrote:
I started this thread with a bit of fustration that so many want to take the "Reason" out of the Season! I am a Christan, and such things bother me a lot. Sorry if I came on a bit strong. Mr. Danny

No need to apologize. I think most of us feel that same anger Mr. Danny. And remember, our Lord was not at all afraid to show His anger. It is a righteous anger such as was His anger at the money changers at the temple. You are fighting the good fight! Smile

In Christ,
Vlad
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
We need not be "luke" warm in speaking the truth.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I thought you might enjoy some of Tim Hawkins' Christian comedy. This bit is about denominations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHiG4QVp5RY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Is this important to you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL