The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Understanding Misdirection? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sidtheclown
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sidtheclown
Hi peoples.
Wondering how you best study misdirection. How did you come to understand it and learn to apply it? What tips and exercises etc helped light the lightbulb in your head? I want to master it but first I need to understand it...
Go...
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
For advice on misdirection, The Fitzkee Trilogy stands out. Magic & Meaning by Neal Burger is also a classic which may help. Watch other magicians perform. Study what they do. Watch them over and over again and you will pick up the subtle nuances called misdirection.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
If you are able to get ahold of Tommy Wonders book of wonder vol 1, his explanation on "misdirection"
really "Direction", will totally enlighten you Smile IMHO
1031ent
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of 1031ent
Juan Tamariz 5 Points in Magic
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
Mr.Tommy Wonders material is the Best. Best, Raj.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Ramsay.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
As well as Misdirection, Pacing is also important.

When I want the Audience to focus on specific actions perform them slowly and very deliberately.

For actions you don't want the audience to see or pay attention to, perform them in a relaxed manner and don't rush the move or sleight.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
As a performer you lead the audience, good misdirection requires you to lead them and lead yourself to the spot you want them to see. They follow your eyes and body. I became good in misdirection simple by trying to get a coin from one hand to another without any moves, simply placing it there and still have them think it's in the fist.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
There are two languages the audience follow;

• The verbal language
• The body language

Master them both and you will have much easier to misdirect them.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
orion4211
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
36 Posts

Profile of orion4211
I'll second Juan Tamariz "Five Points in Magic." I loved this book the first time I read it and still love it after reading 4 times. Its not long, real easy to understand and contains some GREAT performance info.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
It is what and how you say it, as well as where you look. People will look where you are looking. Never watch your own hands.
JMTC
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms would have to be my suggestion. It is a Dover book, hence the low price Smile
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Well, you CAN watch your own hands if that's where you want the audience to look!

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2014, Kbuck54 wrote:
It is what and how you say it, as well as where you look. People will look where you are looking. Never watch your own hands.
JMTC
Keith Shazam

I think this advice is rock solid, this is I like to practice magic with my eyes closed. This way I wouldn't need to look at my hands at all during performance unless I wish my audience to do so. I also like Eugene Burger's highly ingenious advice to always know the names of the spectators you are performing for. When you want them to look at you just call out their names and look them straight in the eyes they will mirror you by looking into your eyes as well. Some magicians can perform sleights during this time right away while others prefer to shift their audience's concentration even further. Asking them a question immediately after would take the heat off of you and focus their attention towards answering your question. With this divided attention there is ample time for you to get your deed done Smile

Many magicians also say that the eyes like to follow any motion. So if your right hand is performing the sleight your left hand should be doing a lot of moving. Of course the movements should look natural which means they do not look strange or out of place in the situation. Pointing also provides excellent misdirection, most audience looks at the direction your finger is pointing.

I also find that complimenting them on their clothes would serve as a diabolical misdirection as well. For example during the middle of the performance I might say "By the way, nice shirt" or whatever they would most likely shift their eyes towards their shirts or whatever items they were wearing. Moreover they would then look at my shirt as well as some sort of comparison. This why I like to wear my watch on the opposite hand to the one I use to perform the sleight, there is no doubt that if I compliment laymen on their watches they will look at my watch as well Smile

I find that telling them a relevant story, riddle, or joke during performance serves me well regarding where I want my audience's attention to be. An engaging storyline could be all the misdirection you need. You could even act the story out! Remember the eyes like to watch actions and attractive movements so it is prudent to take advantage of this fact.

Sounds also provide good misdirection especially a loud noise or bang somewhere behind the spectators, if your eyes follow the sounds the spectators will follow suit.
There are an infinite ways to create misdirection but they all serve the same purpose of shifting their attention away from your sleight of hand.
I Love You God Smile
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I couldn't edit my previous post for some reason but I wanted to add that touch is another effective form of misdirection if you only require one hand to perform your sleight. Touching your spectators on their hands or arms with one hand will most likely direct their attention towards those locations leaving you free to do your sleight with the other hand.
I Love You God Smile
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
If I want them to stop staring at my hands before a sleight I will call them by name. As soon as we make make eye contact I pull off the sleight and immediately hand them the deck and kinda rush them in a not so obvious manner. Calling people by their name almost automatically makes them respond.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
It should be noted that Magic by Misdirection from the Fitzkee trilogy and Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms were both highly regarded by Tommy Wonder, so it's no "wonder" that all of those, including Mr. Wonder's work, would be excellent choices for study.

There is a Tommy Wonder lecture that was posted somewhere on the Café recently and he mentions these "jokingly" in the beginning as being his only lecture notes- to read these books. And one other, the title escapes me at the moment. But, these are all on my current wish list and would make great additions to your library.

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Today I was doing a card trick and one girl was just stariing at my hand. I did nothing else until she looked up. I actually waited like I was getting uncomfortable at her staring at me. As soon as she looked up blam double lift
Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
Hey,
I found a good short ebook online that helped me out line the basics. heres the link: http://info.magicshop.co.uk/understandin......ee-ebook

Otto
Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
Sorry that link doesny work here's the real one: http://info.magicshop.co.uk/understandin......ee-ebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Understanding Misdirection? (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL