The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Understanding Misdirection? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Don't forget The Secret Art of Magic: Strategy for Magicians by Evans and Craver. Very comprehensive, shows that misdirection is NOT limited to magic performance, and they show how MUCH we can learn from misdirection in warfare. They draw especially from the ancient Chinese war theorists.

George
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
For the Ten Count: Martin Gardner invented the sponge ball version -- see his book, Martin Gardner Presents. You can see the trick beautifully performed and explained at almost the beginning of Daryl's DVD, Essentials in Magic: Sponge Balls. Daryl also does a ten count with matches on one of his three Fooler Doolers DVD's.

Finally, I started a thread a year or so ago called something like "Tricks with built-in misdirection" -- of which ten-count is an example. People replied with lots of great ideas.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To David McFarlane: I hadn't seen your post about built-in misdirection when I wrote my message. I like the "training wheels" image. I'm certainly still using training wheels! Lots of study and practice, but not nearly enough performance.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I forgot to say, Gardner's tricks is called something like "Sponge Ball Passe Passe."
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
All the suggestions for study material on the topic are excellent and I second (or third or fourth) the Wonder/Fitzke/Nelms suggestions.

Another suggestion is to use youtube for something useful – watch videos of good performers at work. The trick is not so much the issue, as is watching how the spectators are watching the magic. How they are managed, when they burn the action...when they relax. You can learn a lot by watching top performers with that idea in mind.

This!
I also recommend the Fitzkee books and Henning Nelms book. But the absolute best thing to get you going is - and I'm surprised at the lack of this advice right here in this thread- watching performances!
I spend time every day watching magicians perform. I saw Jeff Hobson yesterday pull off an amazing version of the professor's nightmare rope trick. The thing is, even I hadn't spotted something. It is a masterclass in misdirection. Please, have a look.
https://youtu.be/7dueqUHZXJU
Go to 10:53 in the video and watch right until he goes off the screen.
This is why we must watch magicians who are good, performing. Better than any book. And I have nearly all the aforementioned books but without seeing anyone perform they won't help you on their own.
And watch as much performance as you can. See what works, what doesn't work, how the timing of movements and speech throw people's attention, how your gestures and touching them changes or confuses their focus.
There is so much to learn, I agree, but it isn't so confusing when you watch the masters at work. I watch anything. Magicians from 1931 on British Pathe news YouTube channel(or website), or modern day magicians. (Not Dynamo.. he doesn't know what misdirection is.) I'm really loving watching these shows from the 90s, there's some good learning in there.
The only way to test your own misdirection ability is to try it on people though! Family and friends can be fooled. Even the ones who now think they can second guess you. Introduce misdirection and they haven't a clue. Especially things like crossing the gaze from Juan Tamariz.
I love this aspect of magic and think it is most important!
Good luck. Smile
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
I recently purchased two highly recommended pamphlets about misdirection. They look quite interesting and I'll be dissecting them soon.

Leading with your Head, by Gary Kurtz (available from Doc Eason)

Don't Look Now, by Al Leech
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Leading with your head is an excellent source. I no longer have my copy, could you post a link as to where it can be ordered?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
The Card College books are a great source. Look at just about any of his descriptions of tricks or sleights, and he'll tell you about the misdirection being employed; also the way in which the words used direct spectators' thoughts along misleading avenues.

For anyone thinking of ordering Leech's Don't Look Now, check whether you already have a copy of The Complete Al Leech: its first chapter is a reprint of Don't Look Now, along with commentary by the editor, Danny Rudnick.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Nerdy Wizard,

Do you know if Scribd is legit? There prices are so low that I wondered whether they had gotten copyright clearances to reprint their books.

Bob
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Wravyn - Leading With Your Head is available from Doc Eason's website ($25)

https://doceason.com/product/leading-with-your-head/
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, Roberto Juan wrote:
Wravyn - Leading With Your Head is available from Doc Eason's website ($25)

https://doceason.com/product/leading-with-your-head/

Thank you!
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Tommy Wonder videos were great. The key is to look natural and dictate where the audience is looking. Hence what is the left and right hand doing? Where are you looking? Do small moves cover big moves, or big moves cover small moves?

Tommy stated in one of his videos while looking for some reason for movement he looked at his watch. Then that became his move as it looked natural.

I practice by stealing food from my daughter. Point outside, look outside, ask a question about outside, when she looks, you grab. Then when I am eating the fry or whatever, I tell her she fell for the oldest trick in the book. She does catch on. You have to come up with new misdirection. Now you drop your napkin. You get the point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Understanding Misdirection? (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL