The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question: crystal silk cylinder, double tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I am looking for a crystal silk cylinder that uses a double tube for a routine I am putting together. I found one at Laflin magic:
http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/ProductD......e=MCSSDT

Does anyone know of any other options, or anyone have opinions about the one that Laflin sells.

thanks
mark
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
The only comment I can make is that the Laflin "double tube" works like a Square Circle to show both tubes empty, then works the same as a standard "Crystal Silk Cylinder." Although the Laflin model looks really, really impressive, the only perk I can see is being able to show the outer cylinder empty before the production. Since I've always had a great response to the original version, I can't see the need for that specific perk. Why not use Square Circle?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1441 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I also do not see the reason for the double tube, but in your post you say you need one that has it. Perhaps if you tell us what situation you need it for?

I purchased my silk cylinder from dazzling magic and have been quite pleased. The Laflin version is the first I've ever seen with a double tube.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
MAK/Grant used to sell an extra tube as an option with their CSC. Ickle Pickle also made/makes a nice one.

Steve
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I love the double tube.

I got mine at an auction without realizing that it was not the normal set.

The Double tubes work like Buddha Tubes and the inner opaque cylinder hides the squishing action on the silks in the clear tube as the outer opaque tube + is lowerd onto the clear tube.

I certainly get a great reaction from the effect (but then I'm guessing the single opaque tube goes over well too).

-Mary Mowder
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
The one Laflin is selling appears to be the Ickle Pickle version.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2014-01-13 15:11, Mary Mowder wrote:
The Double tubes work like Buddha Tubes and the inner opaque cylinder hides the squishing action on the silks in the clear tube as the outer opaque tube + is lowerd onto the clear tube.
Great point, Mary. I hadn't thought of that, since I've always held the bottom of the opaque tube with my thumb and first finger, allowing the back of my hand to hide the "squishing action." So, a double tube might serve a definite purpose in that respect. See... now that's why you get the big bucks. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I wish! LOL

-Mary
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have a "double tube" version and I have NEVER used the extra tube. Just seems superfluous. You know, the old don't run if you ain't being chased thing ...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm certainly not talking about you Starrpower (How could I? I've never seen your act.) but "Don't run if you're not being chased" is often used to avoid the work or thought of covering an obvious flaw in an effect.

I've seen shows where the Magic was obvious and the Magician never knew it. The audience seemed to think, "Oh well, it is what it is." and never said a word.
Nobody will bother to chase you if they just don't care.

I'm just saying, whenever we are thinking, "Don't run if…" we should give it a little extra thought or at least take a look in the mirror from the audiences position.

-Mary Mowder
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I've been using the double tube for over 40 years! I have used Grant, Chalet and another that I recently bought used and do not know the manufacturer. I think that for the most part, the single tube looks exactly like what you are actually doing (with one exception being where the transformation, etc., isn't immediate)! I strongly feel that the double tube throws the sudience off!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Marty Hahn at Dazzling Magic makes a beautiful double tube crystal silk cylinder. I think you have to specifically order the second tube from him, but we have it and it is the best!

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Thanks Nanci, I saw Dazzling Magic's single tube and really liked it. Its great to hear I may be able to get a double tube version. I will have to check with him.

mark
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2014-01-13 21:52, Starrpower wrote:
I have a "double tube" version and I have NEVER used the extra tube. Just seems superfluous. You know, the old don't run if you ain't being chased thing ...

Agreed. Audience focus should be on the silks in the main tube, not the cover (think dove pan).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have Dazzling Magic's CSC and I love it. I initially wanted the extra tube but decided not to get it because of the size. Having the extra tube requires a larger outer tube with the Dazzling model. Not really the case with most other models.
Mister Mystery
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You'd love my show, Mary. I'm awesome!

I think the trick in its basic form is more deceptive than one might think. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people think something comes from underneath. Regardless, the main focus should be on presentation and entertainment, not I mechanics. We should use what we are comfortable with.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Nanci, thanks again. I spoke with Marty and he his going to make me a second tube to go with his cylinder.

mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Single or double tube, I found the best received presentation for me is when the transformation reveal is "delayed". I change a cane into a black and white silk, place the white into the black and then place both into the crystal cylinder. Cover the cylinder with the tubes and remove. It seems to the audience as if nothing has happened until the black silk is taken out and the audience then sees that the white silk has transformed into a dove.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
In my birthday show I use a chick pan to make a birthday cake, but we wind up with two small silks and a birhtday cake silk plus a hat coil. Since we cannae eat this birthday cake, the three silks then go into a crystal silk cylinder. Helper's arm goes into the small tube, then this tube dropped into larger tube. Larger tube now gets the arm treatment,and then it goes over the crystal tube/silks. Last of all goes the smaller tube/load. The presense of the larger tube covers the crushing of the three silks when the smaller tube/load are dropped in, helpful in a family room venue. Final load is mini-tootsie rolls (same ones for about 25 years now).
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
A double tube is a principle:

Organ Pipes
Rices Silk Production
Kuma Tubes

The difference is: the three above don't have a clear tube to hold the final load. The clear tube allows you to produce objects that would normally fall over (in addition to it being a focal point.

Imagine Kuma Tubes with one solid tube and one clear tube. Can't be done.
What would a Square Circle look like with just one tube, would you just turn it around and make productions? The addition of the cut-outs aids in the illusion but a square circle still needs the second tube.

There are a lot of tricks and illusions where the production is behind or to the side of one object and transferred to another.... Look at it as a principle:

Victory Cartons have two tubes (Cube Squared is a modern version)
Why not do the stage size, Find The Lady Production with one card and one assistant?
The Vampire illusion works similar to Victory Cartons, just sideways like Find The Lady.
Why have double doors on the Mummy Case, if two places to hide (and transfer the hidden object) are not needed?
Why use more then one tube for your Multiplying Bottles? There is no need to place that empty tube over a bottle which was already produced, right?

It's a principle to use a second tube or cover....... whether the performer has the skill to use it, is another issue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question: crystal silk cylinder, double tube (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL