The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Don't Trust Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 20:04, professorwhut wrote:
I enjoyed the shows... Andrew is a rather funny guy.
I really did not try to analyze too much, I just wanted to be entertained.

Nice to read that someone "gets it!"
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11998 Posts

Profile of John C
Andrew is definitely clever.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Again, Andrew is a good magician and more well known than most people on the café. I think it's great that he was able to get his own show. If the show is made as a pranking show, then I get it. When I first saw the show advertised I thought it was about magic, because Andrew is a magician. I can understand why some café members like it. I am just disappointed that some viewers will think they saw real magic! Anyone can perform what Andrew does using camera cuts. This show just doesn't do it for me.... it's just so much fluff.
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 03:54, Barry Gitelson wrote:
http://www.aetv.com/dont-trust-andrew-mayne

Both episodes can be found here.

Unfortunately it won't play I am in Australia and it must be reign coded.
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
My 15 yr old daughter found Andrew annoying and as she says "Sassy". I think its a mixture of real and unreal with a lot of overacting stooges, but I like Andrew's personality and humor.

Felixjr
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ArielIllusionist
Here's the deal IMO. If one of us were approached with the chance to do what I call, "made-for-tv magic," who would turn it down? Now, I'm a theologian before a magician (see scriptureunlocked.org), and I would not turn it down for personal reasons. Having said that, is this illusion or magic, or the "appearance" of magic? It's the latter. It's like "I Dream of Genie" or ""Bewitched." It's camera trickery for the most part. Motorcycles in a middles of a baseball field floating and being shot down w/o a real audience and hands coming out of a "supposedly" random table w/random people in the middle of nowhere? OK—come now. . . .

Felixjr is correct regarding this statement: "I think its a mixture of real and unreal with a lot of overacting stooges." Just like David and Criss, some are real but most is not. It's, again, MADE-FOR-TV MAGIC. You could not do most of this in a stage, period. But, he will get famous (beyond the magic community which he's already known) and rich. All that I would say to Andrew is, "Don't waste your money and manage it well, because everything doesn't last forever."
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I think if you ask most people after they watched the show they'd say its a magic show. I however am not looking forward to comments from my spectators that my ambitious card routine was cool but can you make my car disappear as I stand here next to it like the guy on tv? Just like CAngel it's seems too perfect.
That being said I really like Andrew and I though the show was entertaining.
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

BG I agree, "I think if you ask most people after they watched the show they'd say its a magic show." But you should qualify that by saying, "If you ask most 'lay' people." As you know, this forum is not filled with lay people and most know better. Yet, is it entertaining? Well, that's in the eye of the beholder of what he/she is looking for. I had a well known builder and illusionist call me (name unmentioned) and tell me about the show and how ridiculous he thought it was. I don't feel as strongly against it as he did because I understand that (not that he did not), once again, this is "made-for-tv magic," and they wanted to copy David Blane and who followed him, Criss Angel, being that they became mega-celebrities and achieved stardom status over night with such sensationalism of this kind of "tv magic" (not that this is on tv but that it uses technical camera edits and stooges to perform the apparent "illusion"). Let's face it. They, the producers, saw how many seasons Criss's show lasted on A&E and how profitable it was, and they want to keep doing business with a new "marketable personality." Andrew is very marketable and as someone said above, he has a good personality and is likable, besides being a good innovator, presentor and illusionists. This is a good combination for, once again, "made-for-tv magic." I'm not saying this is wrong or right. It is what it is, and I'm happy for Andrew. Good for him, and I hope the show does not create, and I know it will, false expectations on lay people that will be used to judge other magicians to do the same, but will not have the benefit to have a camera and a team of of editors who prepare the illusion before presenting it.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I liked some of his concepts but disappointed in the performer and the editing. I don't know how much he was influenced by the directors but they did not do him or the show a disservice. While this might be his character, his Smart A attitude , creepy comments to women and too much into personal space was just too off putting. I thought he came across as a bit of a jerk.
I tried my best to discount what I know and what lay people might think. (ie the purse routine, the id under glass, ect so will not focus on that,
I will comment that even as one here believes this all "could be" done without stooges but is not not willing to admit the reality of what he DID use, that the video editing was too great.

The premise of the show is not believable. I saw at least three "revenge scenarios" that were far from believable. Do I really believe a guy really made my motorcycle vanish for good and that will change my thinking on bikes? Nope. I believe if someone levitates me in a phone booth that I would change my ways and never over use my phone just because of that experience? How can anyone believe a guy will give up his love of colorful shirts just because Mayne lights his collection up.

I do not care for the Smart A , snarky guy attitude will play for the winder audience. But I bet teens and under will love the "See ya, you deal with it... I now run away effects.
Too many times he said creepy things to women. Too many times he approached people invading personal space. If they did not see the cameras they would be flipping out or running away. If someone tired to con me with changing bills I would say "get the F out of here you are not getting the 10 back." I guess more can accept it since they figure many are actors. But lets pretend they were not aware of cameras or part of the show, they would be more concerned about someone approaching them and not letting them pass.

I think he had the right idea with the opening bit. It was very Candid camera but using magic. It was odd that people did not react normally. Maybe it is just where I am from. If someone took my phone and immaturely put it down their pants, I would not be laughing. The idea of the bit was solid and sometimes executed properly but it does not paint him as a guy just having fun but rather a bit of snark.

Maybe the other episodes will improve. Maybe it is not Mayne's fault but how he was influenced to get the show.

Oh I thought, for all his comments to a couple of the woman, that their main sponsor Vagisil was interesting.
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Powermagic, you're spot on!
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
Not stooges per say, but I believe his brother was in tonight;s episode. Lots of liberty with editing. I think the concept was "from the marks perspective". But if you were an audience or a spectator, which isn't implied here, you would be fooled. Still there are a lot of edits that are obvious and maybe called bloopers anywhere else. The jumpy, bumpy, camera ride (which allows edit)is a lot too much. no single camera shots lack. It almost makes the show confusing. I enjoyed the first two but became bored of the second two. Not sure I will watch it again. Why can't magicians go back
to the single camera shot? Because then they can't do what Andrew, Blaine, Angel,Wayne, kidd,etc. and others are doing.
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
Just my two cents, but when he says, "I am a magician" I feel that he has a responsibility to the magic community and to the viewing audience. He is implying that what he is doing is magical or that he is using his skills as a magician to do what we are seeing. Using edits and stooges makes him just like Criss Angel... Criss catches a lot of heat in the magic community because he is kind of unlikable and basically he is lying to the audience. Andrew is definitely more likeable, but it is lame that he presents "entertaining TV" as magic because it is not magic. I have seen so many amazing magicians that do complete miracles without assistance from paid actors or clever editing and would much rather see them on TV. It all just seems so staged to me and it is awkward with the spectators. Ugh.
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Like powermagic above, michaangelo you make a great point. Well said.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I wanted to like this show, and I've enjoyed seeing Mayne elsewhere, but I found him to be very snarky on this show. To me, he came off as a jerk. A talented jerk, but a jerk nonetheless. Didn't care for it.
jay sankey
View Profile
V.I.P.
68 Posts

Profile of jay sankey
Andrew Mayne's show is proof that the war between real magic and reality television (started years ago by David Blaine) is finally over. And real magic LOST. Why are magicians among the most parodied 'characters' in the popular media today? Why -time and again- is some reference to magic or magicians a punchline to jokes in TV shows, movies, magazines, talk show monologues, etc?

Because with prime-time representatives like Andrew Mayne, Dynamo + Angel, we ARE a joke. It's sad enough that we are stuck in our irrelevant world of 'How DID I do it?' and 'No really, I have supernatural powers.' But on top of that, to lie about the realities of how these lame tv shows are produced....? No wonder the world sees magicians as childish. No wonder people continue to ask us, "Can you really make a living doing THAT?"

Magicians need to get real. Magic needs to get real. There is so very much to respect and admire about the art of magic and the real skills of expert magicians. But you won't find any of those skills on the TV shows of these fake magicians. But they shouldn't be blamed for their televised buffoonery. How many of us would jump at a TV show if we had the chance? And how many of us would really have what it takes to tell the producers to go to hell, as they added their layers of ******** onto a totally fabricated scene (ironically hiding what little magic might have still 'made it into the shot.')

Let's get past blame and personal attacks. This is far too important for that. Magic has always been vulnerable to being profoundly misunderstood and under appreciated, but when Blane turned the camera around, and made the spectator's reaction 'the product' (and I'm a big DB fan) he set us on our way down a very slippery slope. In the Age of Google, the 'secret method' no longer has the inherent appeal it once did. The irrelevancy of the 'puzzle presentations' of most magic shows has finally caught up with us, and so TV magic shows are trying to dress-up magic with silly and unconvincing 'stories' about the young magician's 'difficult past,' or how this other guy uses magic to help people 'get even' (and of course, out of all the possible emotional angles, it WOULD have to be something as immature as 'revenge.' Ugh.)

Thanks to our little 'code of secrecy,' and our community's overly traditional approach to almost everything, we haven't kept up with the times. And so the general public knows almost nothing about what it is to be a REAL MAGICIAN. And now, magic is only something worth watching if a celebrity is involved, or if it's a flimsy backdrop to a 'real story' about a man who talks on his phone too much for his girl friend. The banality of magic.

But I believe, at the root of all of this...behind the 'code of secrecy,' behind our community's belief that 'we shouldn't criticize each other's work,' behind the excruciatingly slow evolution of the art of magic, and behind all the sad lies and small-minded thievery, there's only one thing: fear. Deep down, we're afraid to let the public find out who, as magicians, we really are, and how we really do what we do. This insecurity is one of the primary reasons many of got into magic in the first place. But now, that same insecurity is costing us too much. It's leaving the door wide open for talentless hacks, uninspired fakes and low-minded TV producers to make of the art of magic whatever they want. To truly USE magic. And most of them don't know any better. And that's our fault. Mine and yours.

As a community, we need to find the courage to come out of the closet, and to share and celebrate what we love about the art of magic. There's SO much to admire and respect about it. So much to learn from it. Magic deserves better that this. And as magicians it's high time we GOT REAL. None of this will change until we do. Until we find that courage, perhaps we don't deserve better representatives than these bad actors. These little liars.
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Hi Jay, thanks for my free one hour pass for Inside Deception today, I got £6.50 for it on ebay. Smile

I'm a big Dynamo fan and take offence to what you say above. He's worked hard to keep the spirit of magic alive on TV. It's much easier to criticise those who are having success rather than pat them on the back. Another common trait of the modern magic community.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Great comment Jay! Those thoughts have been rolling around in my head for awhile too. I have a 16 year old daughter who is embarrassed if I ask if I can show her friends a trick. I'm not a professional but I can crack skulls and she's afraid I'll be seen as a loser dork instead of my dad can do something really cool. That's the aura that's floating thru society right now regarding magic and it bums me out!!
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Perfectly said Jay. As a musician , it constantly surprises me that people are blown away by the 'magic' of a well played instrument, but don't know how to react to the 'magic' of a magic effect. During the 90's, skill on an instrument was lost to 'just feeling it ,man' , and now people are back to appreciating the skill and talent I possess on my instrument/s.
Magic needs to be completely updated for people to truly understand and appreciate it, and I don't see TV magic as helping. One explanation I use to get people to appreciate Magic in front of their own steaming eyes is to explain that NOTHING on TV is real, not even reality TV! But what they are about to EXPERIENCE is very real and they are free to react to it any way they want. That LIVE Magic is like nothing you've seen Dynamo,Craig Angelo(wink)et al perform on TV, and this is a unique event just for them. I sometimes even explain that I'm about to perform an effect just like you'd see in a movie, and you don't walk around saying the movie was crap or dorky because it used effects. It actually enhances it when used correctly.
I performed View To A Skill for a young 20 something girl once and she ran away shouting 'you're evil, you're evil' before I even finished the effect. She later told me that it was too powerful in front of her own eyes after seeing Magic only on TV. I made a friend cry just a few weeks ago when I performed the Haunted Doll. He also is only 20 years old, and as I watched his face as the doll slowly rose I could see tears welling in his eyes. I pretended not to notice as I didn't want to embarass him, but he explained to me later that he had never had that reaction to anything so unexplainable before.
So Magic does have the power to move people, we just have to put more effort into creating the right atmosphere.
I think one MAJOR thing any TV Magic Show can do to help keep Magic alive and relevant is to tell the audience at the end of the show to seek out a real live Magician in their area for a performance right in front of their eyes, 2 feet in front of them. Otherwise the one thing that makes Magic 'magic' will disappear forever and magicians will be remembered as fools in tuxedos pulling rabbits from hats instead of artists giving people wonder and joy for no other reason except that they can.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
309 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I see quite a few complaints about cutaways, editing and "cheating" in modern television magic programs. The one thing I rarely hear mentioned is that when Mr Wilson produced his shows in the early days, there were no VCR's or DVR's. The audience didn't have the option of repeat viewings, which we all know can be a very effective method for figuring things out.

Not defending anyone in particular. I don't watch much televised magic. But from my perspective, if the lay audience can't tell and doesn't care that a cutaway occurred, and if the effect can be re-produced live, what's the problem. Again, if the effect can be re-produced live.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
309 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I've often wondered if it was just a coincidence or something more that David Copperfield stopped doing television shows shortly after David Blaine came on the scene. Copperfield did Unexplained Forces in 1995, and by the time he did Tornado of Fire in 2001 Blaine had released three specials.

I remember watching Tornado of Fire and Copperfield's choice to take his couch illusion "out on the streets":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdoS4k4KLwk

and it really felt to me that he was going the Blaine route in that case, which felt totally unnecessary to me.

Any thoughts or perhaps even facts about why Copperfield left the television business at the time he did? I think it was a wise choice to go out on top now that there was a newcomer on the scene.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Don't Trust Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL