The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommended tricks or bits o business for three year olds? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Hey my friend, would take the word, 'trick' out of your vocabulary for this particular show. She isn't following, because she doesn't really care if you fool her or not. Start the show and ask if anyone has seen her, then spend the first 2 min. looking for her. This will make her laugh-look for her in the most random and crazy places.
Have her give you high five and hurt your hand-repeat 4 times.
Ask her questions, 'favorite color, Halloween costume, favorite thing to eat', create repoire.
Break away wands are great-Blame the wand, never the kid, very important.
Pretend to lose the whole audience-2 or 3 times during show"where did everybody go'?
Things behind her ear are great-coins are fine-sponge bananas are cool too.
Act surprised and playfully upset that coin keeps going there. Repeat 4 times-great throughout show. Act a little disappointed with coin, "why do you keep going there'.
Coloring book is great. Keep them involved with process. 'Throw the color from your shirts'. Then let the book bop you in head, when they throw colors. Repeat.
Mouth coils are terrific. Topper, pop off wand is great-Tommy James has a ker plunk wand that I start every show with. Love it and good luck
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1009 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Eric Sharp's, "The Present", a routine that can last from ten to twenty minutes and best used as a running gag.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
To Zucchini, where is your DVD available for purchase?

To all, with the rabbit in hat puppet (or puppets in general), what do you do with them? Kids love puppets but I have no idea how to get started creating a character and routine. I'm very curious though.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1194 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Balloon gags(balloons snap into your face, etc) work great, you don't have to be great at balloons. Be a total goofball, silliness is king. They love it when you are confused or wrong about stuff and they can correct you.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I can't seem to find anything on Eric Sharp's, "The Present". Anyone have a link or a brief plot summary?
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Go for humour and involvement

sight gags work well - spoken gags don't

all routines need to be under 3 minutes unless getting them all to join in (putting hand through change-bag or stroking a rabbit / doggy puppet)

focus on animals, toys, colour !!! all are things they can relate to

have a daft magic word and play gags on this

look at David Ginn and Terry Herbert for the best books and dvds for this age group -

my normal set for this age group is

High Top Hare (Wonder Imagery)
Run rabbit run OR Rabbit rampage (Razmatazz magic, UK)
Rabbit Puppet and hama beads (Colin Drummond)
Sad / happy clown via change bag (Duanne Laflin) - all get the change to put their hands inside/through the unzipped bag
Doggy puppet appearing sponge balls (David Ginn) then eating/reappearing hankies (Colin Drummond)all can stroke Doggy
New style magic colouring (Practical Magic) with funny wands/masks/hats and Don't Ring that Bell (John Breed)
Cartoon Headless silks (Karol Fox) and Heavy/light box (Barry Mitchell)
Dove pan producing sweets

it's fast - around 17 minutes - then the kids pat the puppets whilst I make balloons and play games
- to extend it I have Doggy appearing from a Green Machine (Axtell) or Bingley Brothers Circus (Practical Magic)
and lots more sight gags using footprints, handshakes etc (Pat Page)

around here I am one of the few magicians who love this age group
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Robvh, you can get DVD at kidshowrockstar.com
I do a show of quick hitter magic tricks, not lasting longer than 30 seconds a piece, usually. I agree about the balloons. Tons of fun. Rocket balloons are terrific.
I use the thumb tip to disappear handkerchiefs and make sugar disappear. Snakes from a can always a hit. Quick, quick, and quick is ideal for this age, in my opinion. Gz
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Possibly the best DVD on Magic for this age group ever released - from the Godfather of Children's Entertainment Terry Herbert.

http://www.practical-magic.com/component......Itemid=0
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 09:28, Dynamike wrote:
Kirk, just purchase The Great Zucchini DVD. That will tell you everything from A to Z.

Ditto. Zucchini has two DVDs. To see him in action, get the new one, The Great Zucchini Live!
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Oh, and you can see Terry receiving a 'Lifetime Achievement Award' from UK magicians here at about 5 mins in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZRd_RG7GI
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
All like "youse guys" have said! >>>except<<<

Old CIRCU CLOWNS (who taught me) always emphasized that with REPEAT GAGS, the rule is "COMEDY THREE". For some psychological reason, THREE is the right numbr when doing a repeat.

I've alweays followed that principle when clowning. Since comedy magic fits into a clown's role, I have always used (along with many of the "silly" bits mentioned above) some of the "basic" magic props like a break away wand, fan, etc. So, the breakaway wand (for example) is done three times--but with slight changes each time. BTW: the wand and fan works in HIGH schools, too!

I still have a "BALLOON PUMP" that I bought from Magic Inc. in 1965. Repainted! New covers on the "snakes" ETC. It has been a balloon pump, a "HYPODERMIC NEEDLE" (during a FLU EPIDENIC!, a bottle of "snake oil" in a medicine show (look the snakes are still in it! a DDT sprayer in my PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM (there were hidden dangers in DDT!)

Magic Inc. no longer makes the pump, but Jay, years ago, gave the manufacturing rights to Dale Lorzo (Sacramento CA). I think Dale still makes them. I had Dale make up a "whole bunch" for me to sell at lectures. I have a few left.

In 1974, I did the pump at a SAM NATIONAL CONVENTION lecture. I announced that we had a few of them for sale in the Magic Inc. booth. Old pro clown (POPO de BATHE) stood up,ran up the aisle and left the room. He returned in about 8 minutes, clutching a pump!

vomedy is a good vehicle for clowns!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
I used to be the official magician for the NY Public Library system. I do almost exactly the same show for a corporate special event that I do for kids. Just perform whatever magic you do well and the rest will follow. I have to say, that if the entire room is enjoying your show, children who are coherent and even the incoherent ones will enjoy it too. they can feel the energy of the room. So, just do an amazing magic show for families, and the rest will take care of itself. I would suggest doing one trick for the three year old in their hands, maybe a sponge ball trick. That just floors em. Also the good ol' coin or candy routine where it vanishes from your hand and ends up behind their ear. Just the look on the kid's face is super entertaining.Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommended tricks or bits o business for three year olds? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL