The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Covert Suggestion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
What are your thoughts of this effect of covert suggestion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwCMX5sUQU

Regards,
Mike
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
It might not necessarily be what it appears to be.
It's not so difficult to come up with a method of achieving the same result. Many, many effects do.
:)

Quote:
On 2014-01-14 15:51, insight wrote:
What are your thoughts of this effect of covert suggestion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwCMX5sUQU

Regards,
Mike
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Most of what DB does is not as it appears to be.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Covert method more likely!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Yes, covert hypnosis at its finest! Smile

Regards,
Mike
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
You really want to believe that eh?

Quote:
On 2014-01-15 19:31, insight wrote:
Yes, covert hypnosis at its finest! Smile

Regards,
Mike
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I don't think that was Hypnosis at all... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
If you watch ENIGMA, you'll notice he uses exactly the same technique as a sort of hint to the audience about how the first effect and the show itself end.
WillBox
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of WillBox
Derren uses things like conversational hypnosis as a misdirection tool.

Uri Geller uses mysticism to misdirect from the method, Derren uses NLP/hypnosis flourishes as misdirection. Its actually a very clever, although slightly slimy tactic - because the misdirection (for me at least) breaks that unwritten rule of suggesting "its just a trick". People genuinely believe its NLP/Hypnosis, then go and sign up to courses, become hypnotherapists and such like because Derren sold them on the "power of mind control". Of course, he occasionally uses genuine NLP/hypnosis too, but those effects are not nearly as strong as the ones where he uses it as misdirection.

In his book Pure Effect he talks a lot about "showing the process". Don't just give the card - show the mental exhaustion of divining it from the ether or whatever. Its clear that his misdirection tactic stemmed from this - use body language/NLP/suggestion/embedded commands as "the process" because it looks real.

E.g. in one routine he apparently suggests to a guy to pick vinegar from a random choice of anything in the supermarket - with a little pre-amble about "not quite being able to put his -vinegar- (finger) on where the idea comes from" then reading off flavours of crisps (chips in U.S.) but missing out the word vinegar from "salt n vinegar" to create an unconscious idea through deletion (the mind fills the gap). It looks credible and exciting and plausible - but it really is absurd when you think about it long enough. Its far more likely he did use hypnosis - but to pre-hypnotise the suggestion into the guy without his conscious awareness beforehand.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
I'm interested Willbox, so what is "Genuine NLP/Hypnosis"?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
JRediens
View Profile
Regular user
Roma, Italy
147 Posts

Profile of JRediens
I do not have a lot of experience but I feel quite possible to be genuine hypnosis. You can see a lot of Anthony Jacquin ideas, or at least of what are on the manchurian approach, I do not know who to credit, and something else from Marco Pacori. It seems legit, or at plausible, clearly difficult without inducing a classic trance. But in my experience actors with their natural deep connection with unconscious mind are good subjects
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think what will means by genuine is that the effect is created with hypnosis or suggestion instead of just being used as window dressing for some other conjuring method. While it may be possible in most cases your better off with faking it- its more reliable. Depending uopon what you are doing of course.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Covert Suggestion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL